Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missed connection on an award ticket on partner airlines, who takes ownership?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024 | 10:16 am
dnw
Original Poster

This one has me stumped, but I'm sure the fountains of knowledge on here will know!

If I book the following as an award ticket via BA, all on one ticket and all direct connections without stopovers and within MCTs:

MDE-BOG Y (LA)
BOG-MAD J (IB)
MAD-LHR J (IB)

...and the first Latam flight is late causing me to miss the onward long haul IB in J, who is on hook for the rebooking? I assume I am protected by nature of it being one ticket, but who do I call/speak to? Iberia at BOG? BA Gold line? LATAM...?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by dnw; Jan 23, 2024 at 2:24 am
Old Jan 22, 2024 | 10:19 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
Originally Posted by dnw
This one has me stumped, but I'm sure the fountains of knowledge on here will know!

If I book the following as an award ticket via BA, all on one ticket and all direct connections without stopovers and within MCTs:

MED-BOG Y (LA)
BOG-MAD J (IB)
MAD-LHR J (IB)

...and the first Latam flight is late causing me to miss the onward long haul IB in J, who is on hook for the rebooking? I assume I am protected by nature of it being one ticket, but who do I call/speak to? Iberia at BOG? BA Gold line? LATAM...?

thanks in advance.
LAN at BOG
orbitmic and marcolau317 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024 | 10:24 am
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited40 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by dnw

MED-BOG Y (LA)
BOG-MAD J (IB)
MAD-LHR J (IB)

thanks in advance.
i believe LATAM would be responsible to rebook you, but it may be easier for you to talk to IB (or their agent) in BOG. What would be perfect is if both airlines used the same agent!!)

I have similar if I fly jnb fra krk on sa followed by lh or LO. When i get to FRA late i speak to LH and they can see in the booking what SA are doing, if anything.
Old Jan 22, 2024 | 11:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a general principle here, and it makes no difference between revenue (commercial) and redemption tickets. The previous airline is responsible for irrops, not generally the next airline. Usually of course it's the previous airline that caused the problem by running late. The ticket plating at this point is no longer relevant. This relates to services under airport control, so not something that was re-scheduled 3 days out.

Now that's all rather simplistic and so the exact details on the day can make a difference. Usually being redemption is straightforward if it's an on-the-day irrop -you just get the next available seat on the route you were on. The problem that can happen is when it's actually more sensible to go a different way around, at which point the ticket plating matters, and the airport agent will say "talk to BA". So you get to BOG, they are booked out for a week, agent can see there is space via PTY, the regional hub, but can't / won't issue the BOG-PTY leg. You then call BAEC and they then will struggle with a supervisor opening up a budget for rerouting. But that's an example. If the next day's IB is available the agent in BOG should fairly quickly revalidate you on to the next service.
Old Jan 22, 2024 | 3:42 pm

Medellin/Rionegro is MDE. MED is Medina,Saudi Arabia

There are like 50 daily nonstop flights , 14 or so Latam flights. So you have options to fly the first leg a little earlier, to be safe.
BA or bust and cestmoi123 like this.

Last edited by ovacikar; Jan 22, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Old Jan 23, 2024 | 2:29 am
dnw
Original Poster

Many thanks for the helpful replies!

Originally Posted by ovacikar
Indeed, typo corrected.

There are like 50 daily nonstop flights , 14 or so Latam flights. So you have options to fly the first leg a little earlier, to be safe.
I'm aware. What this comes down to in my head is whether it's worth booking the first leg as an award on the same ticket to protect the connection to the longhaul J flight, versus choosing a more convenient (and flexible but extremely cheap) flight on a separate ticket...
Old Jan 23, 2024 | 2:44 am
50 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 12, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by dnw
Many thanks for the helpful replies!

Indeed, typo corrected.

I'm aware. What this comes down to in my head is whether it's worth booking the first leg as an award on the same ticket to protect the connection to the longhaul J flight, versus choosing a more convenient (and flexible but extremely cheap) flight on a separate ticket...
IMHO less risky to book it all on one ticket. In case of major disruption (e.g. incident so runway/airport closed for a while) then you are protected. All about your risk appetite.
Old Jan 23, 2024 | 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

.. and among those many flights linking Medellin with the capital, there are a handful from the incredibly convenient downtown Medellin airport, Olayo Herrero (EOH)

It's a shame Iberia gave up its wider Colombia connections. I think Sky Team (Air Europa) took over MAD MDE, while StarAlliance (Avianca) has the Cali Madrid route.
Old Jan 23, 2024 | 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
AV also have MAD-MDE, FWIW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.