Search

+2 Guests Lounge access with Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
+2 Guests Lounge access with Gold

Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples experience is on OW lounge access with more than the +1 guest.

I'm sure i've seen on here that it can happen depending on how full it is and attitude of the personnel

Planning on flying from Gatwick in June sometime.

Cheers all
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It's not policy. You might get lucky, you might not. I'd expect not
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Had this happen at LGW more than 20 years ago on a morning flight to FAO. Managed to guest my late father, brother and brother-in-law into the First Lounge which was in some kind of a basement at the time. We were on a golfing trip. Pretty sure things will have become tighter by now!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by roland_the_gunslinger
Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples experience is on OW lounge access with more than the +1 guest.

I'm sure i've seen on here that it can happen depending on how full it is and attitude of the personnel

Planning on flying from Gatwick in June sometime.

Cheers all
as you have said, its not policy, but if you ask nicely then you might be allowed, depending how busy it is and the staff on the door.

If they say no they say no
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Judging by my recent experiences at LHR and JFK - highly unlikely.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I've seen a few refusals at LGW, one bloke didn't take it at all well.
becks1 and IntVic like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by bhbloke
I've seen a few refusals at LGW, one bloke didn't take it at all well.
Gatters isn't my usual airport so my experience is relatively limited, but what I have seen is that they tend to be a lot more flexible when additional guests are children vs when it's adults.

Of course, those quietly appoaching the desk and quietly asking "I don't suppose there's any chance - no problem at all if not but thought I'd check" fare a lot better than those parading forwards crotch first in their red trousers proclaiming "BEHOLD MY SHINY SILVER CARD, PEASANTS".
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My track record at LGW is much better than at LHR - at LHR I have managed to get the family of 4 in a couple of times, but very rarely and they otherwise make no exceptions (even when I'm flying alone with the 2 young kids) - I don't ask really - just say at the First Wing tentatively - "so security that way?" pointing out to the regular fast track...usually they say "yes", occasionally they will say "let me see" and sneak us through, but it's very rare and only ever happened at LHR in very quiet periods (e.g. flying mid-week during school holidays) when the kids were very young - unlikely to ever happen now.

At Gatwick...it's very different - travelling with the family I am more often than not quietly gestured into the First side of the lounge. Last time we were at LGW I was almost "surprised" they pointed us into regular Galleries Club instead. They have been pretty consistently waiving that rule, without my even asking.

Disclaimer - that's my flying with the family: the kids are quite young which probably helps (I doubt I would get waved into First with 3 adult guests...) and to the extent relevant all three of the family are BA Silver and we are often also flying Club - maybe everything together makes them bend the rule a bit, I don't know.

It's easier at LGW because the First lounge is generally quieter than Galleries First at LHR; plus without the full First Wing security set-up I think the lounge agents have a bit more discretion (or feel they do?). I would never, ever expect it, but it's fairly common we get sent into First.

That said, Galleries Club at LGW is really very nice and I don't see much difference with First so it's not a big deal.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
What Wozza2404 said really. The F lounge is a small lounge and gets busy, you may have better luck asking for the J lounge, but where with a child I'd have been 70% confident, two adults probably 20%.

I'd prefix the question with "I know the answer is probably no, but..". The staff have literally heard it all and don't take kindly to attempts to browbeat them.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:08 am

Dear OP, I hate to be the killjoy, but if you want a cast-iron guarantee of being able to access the lounge with all members of your party then the best way is to ensure that everyone is eligible. So upgrade one of them, or something like that.

When I worked in Heathrow Customer Services I often worked front of house in the lounges, or by the door in CCR. On a busy day, in the space of a couple of hours I'd have at least a dozen people trying to sneak in at least one other traveller who didn't have the status or ticket that entitled them to get in. Often times it was a case of trying to get in more than one person.

Some people tried the charm way, some tried the sneaky way, some tried to bully me, some tried to bribe me. If I let every single one of them in, those lounges would've gone from busy (especially North Galleries) to 'sardine can' level, and that would've been unfair towards all those who paid a pretty penny for it.

I know full well that you're only asking it once for one mate, so did the other 10 people before you...
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:34 am

I’m afraid that I take the absolute sanctimonious approach when these questions are asked.

as soon as *any* type of leeway is given or a “just this once” it turns into an “oh but last time…..” in my experience.

rules are rules and should be followed. It’s especially cheeky (and not directly at the OP) when people know what the rules are but decide they’ll ask the lounge agent anyway. If I was the lounge agent I’d have a very blunt reply ready.

my opinion. Don’t shoot me down!
DocS, SirToby, flygirl68 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by DXB2745
I’m afraid that I take the absolute sanctimonious approach when these questions are asked.

as soon as *any* type of leeway is given or a “just this once” it turns into an “oh but last time…..” in my experience.

rules are rules and should be followed. It’s especially cheeky (and not directly at the OP) when people know what the rules are but decide they’ll ask the lounge agent anyway. If I was the lounge agent I’d have a very blunt reply ready.

my opinion. Don’t shoot me down!
Correct. I know it's annoying for OP, but if started, where would it end?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Simplest way - get GGL before you travel and you can guest in 5 :-)
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I very much go with the advice above about asking nicely. It is possible they will say yes, but if they say no I am sure you will act with good grace.
BA or bust and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I've managed to get 2 guests into the Flounge at LGW. I asked very politely at the desk whether there was any chance the second guest could also join us in the Flounge (he was otherwise eligible to enter the Jlounge). The fact that he would have been in one of the lounges either way (the Jlounge was quite busy IIRC) may have played a role.

I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen again though. I look forward to being able to do so 'officially' once I become GGL.
flygirl68 and Jpm81 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.