Wiki Posts
Search

BA has no flights to Havana, Cuba. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
BA has no flights to Havana, Cuba. Why?

A number of years ago I flew Iberia to Havana, Cuba. As a Canadian there is no issue in doing that.

I am interested in going again. BA shows no flights to Cuba, but they show up using a Matrix search - but those flights are on Finnair (out of HEL) and Iberia (MAD) metal. I did find plenty of IB flights to Havana, out of MAD.

Why does Finnair and IB fly to Cuba, but BA does not? Are UK citizens barred - like US citizens are - or is there another reason? Thanks for any info.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No bar for UK citizens, but if you visit since around 2020/2021 it will mean you can no longer go to the US on an ESTA, you would need to get a full US visa. But even before that BA didn't go to Havana.

You could ask that of any destination tbh, why does BA not fly to X. At the end of the day BA decide where to deploy their assets based on where they think they will make the best return, and presumably they have determined that doesn't include Havana.
jamiel, halls120, Genius1 and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:12 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Iberia covers much of the Spanish speaking world. BA covers much of the English speaking world.
British charter holiday flights operate to Cuba all the time, but there is likely to be little business trafic from the UK.
So I suspect it is entirely a commercial decision for BA not to fly there.
jamiel, roberto99, Dan72 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don’t think that Finnair flys to Havana either, maybe a code share with Iberia?
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Lack of demand, probably.

Brits aren't banned from Cuba, although going there does mean that we would no longer be able to get an ESTA and would need a visa to travel to the US.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
VS used to fly direct from LGW but don’t now. I would imagine the change to US impacting n ESTA would put a lot of U.K. holiday makers off it as a destination and dampen demand. The fact you can one hop it with IB on another OneWorld carrier is most likely competitive enough for those who do still want to go.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
In a word, 'demand', for the various reasons that have already been identified. I should imagine it is not the most straightforward of places to organise ground handling as well.

When I flew there with VS, there was no duty free on board. The crew explained that that was because it was at risk of being stolen on the ground in HAV. The plane also had security around it while it was on the ground. Theft of parts was also not unheard of.

I think BA last used to fly there in the 90s. Fascinating place.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Crime and airport aside (the HAV lounge was quite something when I visited) - for plane spotting it was phenomenal. So many old abandoned planes and bankrupt airlines just sat there rusting away. It was some of the most fun I’ve ever had taxiing around.
jrfsp320 and Vaterland like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
No bar for UK citizens, but if you visit since around 2020/2021 it will mean you can no longer go to the US on an ESTA, you would need to get a full US visa. But even before that BA didn't go to Havana. ...
I went to Cuba around 2017/18 on IB from MAD. Canadians can enter the USA by just showing their Canada passport. I have been pulled into a secondary when they saw a Turkey stamp. They realised I was just changing air line companies so had to go through Turkish passport control twice in an hour. 🙄

I prefer to do land crossings into/out of the USA, thus avoid transit flight through the USA on my way to/from Canada. I avoid TSA at all costs.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have said - lack of demand. When people in the UK think Caribbean, Cuba is long way down the list and it does have a cheap bucket and spade reputation. That probably means Euroflyer out of LGW will give it a try, with a second hand A320.
dnajockey and Grande Annee like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As others have said - lack of demand. When people in the UK think Caribbean, Cuba is long way down the list and it does have a cheap bucket and spade reputation. That probably means Euroflyer out of LGW will give it a try, with a second hand A320.
Which is a real shame, Cuba is a beautiful country and the people are warm, genuine and kind.

AF/TK/IB/UX still fly there as do charters from Condor, Iberojet TUI group and Russian airlines (good luck connecting in Moscow!)

Last edited by BERbound; Jan 21, 2024 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Does a 2nd hand A320 have the range to fly LGW-HAV?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:31 am
Formerly known as tireman77

No bar for UK citizens, but if you visit since around 2020/2021 it will mean you can no longer go to the US on an ESTA, you would need to get a full US visa. But even before that BA didn't go to Havana.
On this point. I know of a lot of US Citizens who travelled to Cuba by way of Canada, Mexico, Caribbean on separate tickets. Cuban immmigrations officials were 'nice' enough not to stamp their passports. In fact I once had to ask them to stamp my Canadian Passport. Haven't been to Cuba in a few years, so I'm not sure if they still extend this courtesy or if it extends to other countries.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I would not suggest this is a way around it. Airlines provide information to the US CBP even on itineraries which do not touch the US. Basically the US will know you went to Cuba whether you like it or not, they are not relying on searching for stamps in your passport.
EuropeanPete and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
… even before that BA didn't go to Havana.
Not quite. BA have flown to Cuba, there was a weekly flight from LGW but eons ago. 1999 was the inaugural, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.