Search

Significant fare reduction [since booking]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Significant fare reduction [since booking]

Good afternoon
I just noticed that a fare I booked (first class) some time ago is now $800 less than when I booked. Is it possible to call and try to get an adjustment/credit or not? I booked two tickets so that's $1600 total difference. I'm just curious. The money is out of my account now so I won't cry over spilled $$ but I thought I would ask you wise BA people if there is a way.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Nope. I am afraid you don’t have any recourse here. Just like anything else in life, it’s inevitable week after you buy something there will be a sale where you could have got the same thing 20% cheaper.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another view
I just noticed that a fare I booked (first class) some time ago is now $800 more less than when I booked. Is it possible to call and try to get an adjustment/debit credit or not? I booked two tickets so that's $1600 total difference. I'm just curious. The money is in out of my account now so I won't cry over spilled $$ but I thought I would ask you wise BA people if there is a way.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Nope. I am afraid you don’t have any recourse here. Just like anything else in life, it’s inevitable week after you buy something there will be a sale where you could have got the same thing 20% cheaper.
Agreed. It was a chance I took when I booked but I figured if anyone knew any way to "work" it you guys would. I wouldn't have booked when I did if I wasn't prepared to pay the fare. I did have a thought...if I called and changed to an earlier flight, same day, which is also cheaper, aside from a change fee, would I get a credit on the difference?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Another view
I just noticed that a fare I booked (first class) some time ago is now $800 more less than when I booked. Is it possible to call and try to get an adjustment/debit credit or not? I booked two tickets so that's $1600 total difference. I'm just curious. The money is in out of my account now so I won't cry over spilled $$ but I thought I would ask you wise BA people if there is a way.
100% get it. I'm not mad. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. $1600 is another trip here in the US so it was worth a try.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:56 pm

I would suggest looking at the fare rules to see if the tickets are refundable and, if so, at what cost. You may find it worthwhile to cancel and rebook.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
While I don't blame for BA not offering a refund or a credit in case of a fare deduction, however, as a datapoint, American Airlines does let you do this on some tickets ( those with no change fee ) so if someone is expecting the price of a BA TATL ticket to drop, purchasing with AA, then cancelling for a credit and then rebooking it with the credit would make sense.
PETER01, jonr405, cauchy and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:24 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't really know about the UK as I haven't tried it, but if you came back with the receipt a week later to most stores in Australia they'd either refund you the difference or give you a gift voucher with store credit.
Outbound24 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:32 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
I would suggest looking at the fare rules to see if the tickets are refundable and, if so, at what cost. You may find it worthwhile to cancel and rebook.
Or rather rebook and then cancel in case there is a problem with making the new booking.
My guess is that most first fares booked into F will be refundable and that most booked into A won't be.
If you make the new booking and find you can't refund the old one, then you can use the 24 hour cool off to cancel the new ones.
Your bank account \ credit card is going to be down the cost of two sets of tickets anyway until one or other is refunded if you do it yourself rather than on the phone, this may be a problem for some people.

[EDIT] F fares for LHR-SIN are refundable but they cost more than twice (non-refundable) A fares (£11k versus £4.5k)
lowfareair likes this.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Jan 19, 2024 at 12:41 am
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:38 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I don't really know about the UK as I haven't tried it, but if you came back with the receipt a week later to most stores in Australia they'd either refund you the difference or give you a gift voucher with store credit.
If the shop accepts returns they are effectively refunding you and letting you buy it at the new price. I did try it in the UK where I had effectively signed a contract to buy the product (akin to buying a non-refundable flight ticket) and the most they would do was give me a discount on a future purchase.

I once tried to return an item in the UK where the price had dropped and they were only willing to refund the new lower price - though a complaint to the head office resulted in a refund and letting me keep the item.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Nothing wrong with asking. I do this with hotel bookings all the time (via flexible bookings) and I generally see my hotel rooms fall below the pre-paid price eventually if I book far in advance.

Check your ticket restrictions - if it's cheaper to refund and rebook go for it.

I don't think flight tickets are as easy as some hotel bookings to change sadly. For Marriott at least, I just update my existing booking to the same room at the lower rate.

Not sure why there are some odd replies with a passive aggressive tone to them for a mere post asking.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Sometimes I’ve had it with a BA holiday that an upgrade processed after purchase (at a time like the OP describes) leads to an overall refund. This was especially true during the pandemic with some of the crazy price fluctuations.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I often use Google Flights to get alerted about price changes for the tickets I am interested in. On most occasions I get an alert for a good price and pull the trigger about 8-10 weeks in advance. I roughly save 30-40% or more compared to peak prices. Maybe to consider for the future.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:09 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Sometimes I’ve had it with a BA holiday that an upgrade processed after purchase (at a time like the OP describes) leads to an overall refund. This was especially true during the pandemic with some of the crazy price fluctuations.
Yes, so the method used to book (TA, BA, BAH) makes a difference, the fare booking class makes a difference (F, A), and the route and operating carrier also makes a difference (likelihood of changes and IIROP).
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This is why, almost all my long haul are BA Holidays, the option to pay a tiny deposit and forfeit that if a significant price drop occurred.
ratechaser, GoNorth, Cymro and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.