Wiki Posts
Search

Seat choice more expensive for silver?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Seat choice more expensive for silver?

Hey guys, is this normal?

first photo is when logged in as a silver member, second as a non logged in new customer.

Thoughts on row 30?

Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:18 pm

Deleted.
GibFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Phlyer2; Jan 17, 2024 at 2:19 pm Reason: Deleted.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The bottom photo seems to be cropped so I think it's the same. You can see the blue and green outline for the third bank of seats.
GibFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
The pricing does seem to be different. £93 vs £82 for the exit seats in Row 30.

Not sure what's going on there, pricing may well be dynamic based upon the customer, but I've not read anything to that effect....
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is this not due to the fact that it’s (slightly) cheaper to pay for seat selection at time of booking, rather than after booking? Per https://www.britishairways.com/trave...p/public/en_gb

Originally Posted by GibFlyer
Thoughts on row 30?
Presumably this is a 788? Personally I’d skip them. I found it busy by the door and toilets. Is row 21 available? If not I’d go for something further back.
BertieBadger and PETER01 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:39 pm

Seems a likely explanation, every day a school day and all that!
GM1985 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GM1985
Is this not due to the fact that it’s (slightly) cheaper to pay for seat selection at time of booking, rather than after booking? Per https://www.britishairways.com/trave...p/public/en_gb

Presumably this is a 788? Personally I’d skip them. I found it busy by the door and toilets. Is row 21 available? If not I’d go for something further back.
That would make sense I guess but it’s bizarre that it’s the only seat we have to pay for and it’s cheaper for a non Exec!
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:49 pm

That would make sense I guess but it’s bizarre that it’s the only seat we have to pay for and it’s cheaper for a non Exec!
It isn’t really, though. It’s £82 if you pay for an exit row when you book your flight. Or £93 if you pay for it later via MMB. Status doesn’t come in to it.

Obviously as a Silver you can choose any non-exit row for free. Whereas non-members/Blue/Bronze would be charged for any seat (slightly less if paid at time of booking, more later in MMB).
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phlyer2
Deleted.
sorry buddy my cropping didn’t help here!
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GM1985
It isn’t really, though. It’s £82 if you pay for an exit row when you book your flight. Or £93 if you pay for it later via MMB. Status doesn’t come in to it.

Obviously as a Silver you can choose any non-exit row for free. Whereas non-members/Blue/Bronze would be charged for any seat (slightly less if paid at time of booking, more later in MMB).
Other exit seats showing for free btw.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:34 pm

Other exit seats showing for free btw.
On long haul?

Silvers can choose exit row seats for free on short haul flights, but have to pay on long haul.

Are you seeing free selection for exit row seats as a Silver on long haul?
GM1985 and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:54 pm

30 A&K appear blocked/occupied in your seat map above.

30 D&F are not classed as exit row seats (though are bulkhead seats so have some additional legroom) so are free for you to choose as Silver, or the lower £33 amount for non-status passengers. The higher £82/93 pricing is typical pricing for World Traveller exit rows you’re seeing on 30 B/C and H/J.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

There's been a few threads over the years on dynamic seat pricing. Rather than try and explain it here are a few posts from a very well known member which sums it up nicely and here is the devil in the detail on ba.com as referenced above.
  • If you choose your seats now you will get the widest choice of seats at the best price.
  • If you skip this step, you will be able to choose your seats later in Manage My Booking for a higher price. Closer to departure, the selection may be limited and groups may not be able to sit together.
  • Some customers will be able to choose their seats for free now or closer to departure, depending on their circumstances.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28477111-post4.html

Anybody know the reason why? [dynamic seat pricing]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.