Wiki Posts
Search

Permitted City Pairs In USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Permitted City Pairs In USA

Is there a way of establishing what routes BA can book domestically to a specific final destination?

One of my BAH bookings has been downgraded to J from F, so sensing the opportunity to grab an extra 160TP or so I'd like to fly F to an initial destination, then F/J to my final destination. However not all city pairs can be booked for some arcane reason I no longer remember. So I'm looking to find F routes that are allowed to connect to my final destination.

Trial and error is working, it just got me wondering. I did ask about ORC but was told it was not possible.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Is there a particular reason you don’t want to mention the final destination? If you say where you are booked to, chances are people can make far more useful suggestions about optimal routing (obviously look at to run thread too) than by phrasing the question in such general terms?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Oh sure, it's LHR/ PHL but I was wondering generically for future reference. In this case I did reroute via MIA. Historically I've just been told that I can't fly say BOS/JFK for reasons connected to ticketing agreements or similar.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:38 am

Under the joint business, all US destinations served by AA are included. Exclusions are only places AA don’t serve. You might have pushback asking for a significantly inefficient routing (e.g. MIA via LAX) but even then it’s still technically possible.
Deckard and salut0 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:42 am
Original Poster

That's good to know thank you. My "historically" may have predated this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There are limits to Maximum Permitted Mileage on nearly all fares, which prohibit shenanigans like routing LHR-LAX-JFK on an LHR-JFK fare.

LHR-MIA-PHL may exceed this but you can ask. I'm sure LHR-BOS/JFK-PHL would not exceed it. LHR-ORD/CLT-PHL may well be OK too.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was downgraded from F to J on this route for an upcoming flight in March and was able to re-book PHL-LAX-LHR in F... Which I was incredibly surprised at, but the agent didn't even question it.
salut0 and Deckard like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ben1991
I was downgraded from F to J on this route for an upcoming flight in March and was able to re-book PHL-LAX-LHR in F... Which I was incredibly surprised at, but the agent didn't even question it.
Interestingly around the time of my planned flight I am meant to be fitting in a West Coast trip, but I imagine putting in a multi-day stopover in LAX would force a repricing. Still that seems like it'd be 1680 TPS? That has to be worth it! Would you mind sharing the timings?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:45 am

So that particular example I think wouldn't be allowed ordinarily as it would exceed MPM. In disruption they don't necessarily have to follow fare rules, but I'm still surprised they agreed to that one this far out!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Shhhhhh....
We don't talk about these things
salut0 and ben1991 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
So that particular example I think wouldn't be allowed ordinarily as it would exceed MPM. In disruption they don't necessarily have to follow fare rules, but I'm still surprised they agreed to that one this far out!
I do wonder if it had something to do with the fact that it was the EU BA Holidays team that I had to speak with as booking is ex-EU, who seem significantly less experienced than the UK team. So, maybe that had something to do with it.

I was surprised to not even get a: "wait, so you want to fly across the country in the wrong direction, to then come back on yourself and add about 10 hours to your journey...?"
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Deckard
Interestingly around the time of my planned flight I am meant to be fitting in a West Coast trip, but I imagine putting in a multi-day stopover in LAX would force a repricing. Still that seems like it'd be 1680 TPS? That has to be worth it! Would you mind sharing the timings?
Sure, I'll PM you.
Deckard likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by flatlander
There are limits to Maximum Permitted Mileage on nearly all fares, which prohibit shenanigans like routing LHR-LAX-JFK on an LHR-JFK fare.

LHR-MIA-PHL may exceed this but you can ask. I'm sure LHR-BOS/JFK-PHL would not exceed it. LHR-ORD/CLT-PHL may well be OK too.
There's MPM but then also "reductions" if you go through specific gateways. Often you can get a 500 miles MPM reduction when going through ORD ex-EU or when going through DFW/LAX on your US-TPAC.
I've also previously had a lot of EU-LHR-MIA-JFK which ended up just below MPM.
Something you could easily do is LHR-CLT-LGA-PHL or mixing DCA in.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by cvision
There's MPM but then also "reductions" if you go through specific gateways. Often you can get a 500 miles MPM reduction when going through ORD ex-EU or when going through DFW/LAX on your US-TPAC.
I've also previously had a lot of EU-LHR-MIA-JFK which ended up just below MPM.
Something you could easily do is LHR-CLT-LGA-PHL or mixing DCA in.
When I started in the miles game and was crediting to AA rather than BA, I used to fly New York to London on AA on economy fares at 1EQP per flown mile and maximize the journey mileage by routing LGA-ORD-LHR/LHR-ORD-MIA-LGA or LHR-ORD-DFW-LGA. That still allowed me to take the day flight eastbound (albeit with a crushingly early start at LGA to make a 9am flight from ORD)
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander

MPM applies at prime sale and for voluntary changes, but not for invol reissues triggered by disruption.
alex67500, revorgap and flatlander like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.