Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Infant” flying with us in Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:55 am
Original Poster

“Infant” flying with us in Club World are meals included?

Hi All

Flying to LAX on 3rd Feb with my wife and 23 month old. So she’s a “on lap infant” and we are flying in Club World

I’m trying to find out if meals are included for my daughter? I can’t find solid information online. I have no idea how we are going to bring our own food onboard for her for a 10 hour flight.

Hoping to book her a seat if more reward availability opens up but not currently available

Thanks

George

Last edited by GeorgeAmbler89; Jan 1, 2024 at 11:17 am Reason: Change of title
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No food is provided so please bring it with you, security will test any liquids.
becks1 and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No food is provided so please bring it with you, security will test any liquids.
Blimey, ok. Will have to do some planning then. She eats “proper” meals so will have to pre make them and hope the cabin crew will warm up I suppose.

Very surprised they’re not included, understand for babies. Or hopefully they’ll be spare main meals the crew won’t mind giving us for our daughter
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The crew will be able to reheat food for you, either have it is Tupperware or pouches.Your daughter is still an infant (baby) but if you buy a seat for her you could order a child meal if you prefer.
Any meals left over in Club World are considered crew meals.
BearX220, flygirl68, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Our little one has always survived on a mix of bits of our food and things we brought with us (though we’ve never done anything longer than 5 hours in Club Europe). A polite request for a spare bread roll or pastry if there is one at the end has normally been ok. I wonder if a request for a spare economy meal might work, the simple pasta options and size would suit our child ok.

We actually did buy a seat for one flight when they were 23 months, but it wasn’t a straightforward process and obviously cost us near what an adult pays rather than the 10% for lap infants. Alas it was in Euro Traveller so no substantial food for anyone.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:29 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
My son is 4 and still just shares parts of our meals when we are travelling. We make sure he is fed at the airport then he only nibbles on board, such that we may only ask the FAs for 2 meals unless we (the adults) want to eat 1.4 servings each.

At 1y11m, he would have enjoyed the soup we were served in LX business, but he was asleep. If the OP's daughter eats proper food there should be something that she is willing to eat from the CW menu, and it's not like she will consume an entire portion
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Blimey, ok. Will have to do some planning then. She eats “proper” meals so will have to pre make them and hope the cabin crew will warm up I suppose.

Very surprised they’re not included, understand for babies. Or hopefully they’ll be spare main meals the crew won’t mind giving us for our daughter
if I remember correctly we used to share the adult food but most of the time ours were sleeping..
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Bear in mind it will likely be very difficult to manage an infant occupying their own seat if the aircraft is fitted with the new Club Suites.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:54 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond

My suggestion is to bring 1 or 2 empty containers to pinch food from the lounge / hotel buffet. Bread rolls, cheese, raisins etc things that last and taste fine cold. Saying this as there is always the risk of "home made" meals being confiscated or worse yet, going bad without one knowing.

On the plane, if your toddler is like mine, then they will definitely go for the juice and dessert. Maybe some carbs and fish (soft) but that's about it. So have your fill of food in the lounge and be prepared to share parts of the onboard meal.

I take turns to eat with my partner as one of us needs to hold the child, so best to let the crew know who to serve first so they can complete that service (assuming it's 2 courses) and start on yours. Unless you get lucky and have a free seat to set the infant down in.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
I'd bring snacks rather than food. My 17 yr old doesn't eat meals on the flight as he has anaphylaxis. we feed him up in the airport then make sure he has plenty crisps, chocolate and other easy snacks. At that age tbh I'd book a seat
TheRealBabushka and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:29 am
formerly JackDann

I wouldn't be hoping for that - any leftovers should be offered to paying passengers first and foremost. Unfortunately as your 2 year old isn't on a paid ticket, no meal is included - same on most airlines.

I'm wondering if maybe you can pre-order something from the on-board shop that might suffice.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:02 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Very surprised they’re not included,
I'm quite certain that airlines will not put in policies or procedures that encourage very young children in First/Business.
JTXC, becks1 and sparker72 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
I wouldn't be hoping for that - any leftovers should be offered to paying passengers first and foremost. Unfortunately as your 2 year old isn't on a paid ticket, no meal is included - same on most airlines.

I'm wondering if maybe you can pre-order something from the on-board shop that might suffice.
Leftover meals are crew meals. Crew do not get additional separate meals. This is part of the agreement and crew meals are within the Club World meal count.
flygirl68, wrp96, becks1 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:25 am

Crew cannot reheat meals you bring on in ovens. They can put in hot water (e.g. baby milk type) on longhaul services there is also a small supply of infant food (e.g. Ella's Kitchen type pouches) onboard.
flygirl68, wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by JD1905
I’d argue they are on a paid ticket: payment being 10% of the adult mileage charged and applicable taxes. You wouldn’t argue that an adult traveling using miles was not on a paid ticket, would you? Miles are their own currency.

But I do appreciate why airlines don’t like to advertise the good deal that the 10% mileage lap child represents — even so I suspect few people would rush to book this just because food that the child probably wouldn’t eat anyway was included if they weren’t already looking to use such a ticket anyway, food included or not.
Coffeemadman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.