Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 on 1 Jan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:51 am
Original Poster

T5 on 1 Jan

South security was horrendous at 11am. Never seen queues that bad. I was told they were 'having problems' but no idea what they were. Luckily I was able to go through F security, which is still open. Anyone know why the regular security queues were so busy?

Interestingly though, even though the security and check-in queues were very busy, the lounges are very quiet. Never seen Concorde Room so dead and I'm now over at the T5B lounge and it's extremely quiet. I see the Whispering Bar is still here.

Best time to travel is the 1 of Jan if you travel in J or F! Last year I flew out at 9.30am, wish I'd done the same today.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is often a correlation between high sickness and New Year’s Day 😉
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
There is often a correlation between high sickness and New Year’s Day 😉
Can’t be alcohol induced though as that comes in sealed bottles. I bet they’ve been eating dodgy Christmas leftovers 😉
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chriswiles
South security was horrendous at 11am. Never seen queues that bad. I was told they were 'having problems' but no idea what they were. Luckily I was able to go through F security, which is still open. Anyone know why the regular security queues were so busy?
It did get flagged up that South security got overloaded at this point, as a SWOT - sheer weight of traffic. It looks like T5 is operating at 80% of capacity, and they probably staffed for that, but within that there was a high peak between 10:30 and 12:30, peaking at 3,500 passengers per hour.. The queues for both North and South are down now to 10 minutes, and should go down to 5 minutes in an hour or two, it's down to around 2,000 passengers per hour now. Nothing in the infrastructure appears to have failed, as far as I can tell. As I sometimes point out "I'm stuck in traffic" = "I am traffic". Plus I suspect some passengers will be very occasional travellers and unfamiliar with how to go through Security efficiently.

[The right side of the graph won't be accurate until later today].

Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC
I must have gotten lucky as I came up around 12:30 from connections via fast track and fed into north (I think?) security, the lane with the new scanners. I waited at most 10 minutes and was done with it all. You gotta love the new scanners.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Curious as to what data feeds the 'person graphic' to show you how busy North and South security are. Yesterday morning they were both equal with 3 people icons by each. South security was rammed, queues stretching back past the boarding pass scanners stopping people from joining. Took my chances by walking to North and breezed through.. Has flow been affected by the move of Club check-in at all? Would've thought north would be the busier one now though...
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cattp
Curious as to what data feeds the 'person graphic' to show you how busy North and South security are. Yesterday morning they were both equal with 3 people icons by each. South security was rammed, queues stretching back past the boarding pass scanners stopping people from joining. Took my chances by walking to North and breezed through.. Has flow been affected by the move of Club check-in at all? Would've thought north would be the busier one now though...
it’s tied to a random number generator
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by cattp
Curious as to what data feeds the 'person graphic' to show you how busy North and South security are.
Is it still 3/3 or 5/2 only?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Is it still 3/3 or 5/2 only?
Yes, it can only show both north and south as "3 people busy" or one at "5 people busy" and the other at "2 people busy".
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:54 am

It’s been a tad busy today in T5.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I arrived into T5 at around 17:30 and heard an automated "we are sorry if waiting times are longer than usual" message as I was walking to the immigration hall so I feared the worst as I rounded the corner only to be greeted by a generally quite empty looking immigration hall and breezed straight through. Reclaim looked quite busy though.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This will be a more accurate view of how the middle part of the day went.

Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Heathrow unable to plan! Pick me off the floor.
Unless there were a large number of last minute sales then this was wholly predictable and (once again) Heathrow failed to staff to the required level.
They should be refunding our passenger fees - like the trains do!
nilsfr69 and Swanhunter like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
How and where do you get these nice graphs? are they publicly available? If not, pls disregard me asking
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This will be a more accurate view of how the middle part of the day went.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by nilsfr69
How and where do you get these nice graphs? are they publicly available? If not, pls disregard me asking
No, it's not public stuff, though it really wouldn't harm LHR to put this information out there, it does often explain why things happen.
LCSinTexas and nilsfr69 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.