Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nufnuf77
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2023 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares

Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 12 for an 2024 archive of sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

From North, Central and South America

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

CAI-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-SFO return for 1800gbp earning 960 Tps

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post XX of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the post XXX of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2024 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDork
Thanks for suggesting Barcelona - travelling from Dublin to Las Vegas via LHR/PHL and then San Francisco to Barcelona via PHL/LHR also costs about £1,600. (And I've never been to Barcelona before, which would take the sting out of flying through London on my way home to London.)
Result then! I love Barcelona - though be careful in Las Ramblas as it is the pickpocket centre of Europe.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
Reposting my question which got lost as the last post of the now closed 2023 thread:

I’ve always been jealous of those who do these west coast runs — since I’m based on the east coast, I haven’t seen an easy way to do this since I want to end up in JFK/BOS/PHL etc for the turnaround point of any trip.

Any suggestions on something domestic within the USA that could start on the west coast and end up or stopover for free in NYC/PHL/BOS to pair with a west coast I-class run of this sort that would make ending up on the east coast possible and not prohibitively expensive?
Are you based on the East Coast of the US or based in the UK but want to always want to travel to the East Coast not the West Coast?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 4:15 pm

It's that time of the year! I've been planning a way to maintain Silver, and I'm nearly there. By getting a 2 week grace period, I'll 100% get 545 TP's, so that leaves me short of ~35 TP's (BA will maintain status if I achieve 580 TP's), so I need 1 more flight that gets me 40 TP's.

I have options from London or MAD, but all of them seem pretty expensive for 40 TP's (I.e. return journey of 200GBP+).
I'll need to fly before the 19th of Jan.

Cheapest I've found so far is a one way business ticket from MAD to London for under 200.
Any ideas from anyone here?
Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by timlewis808
Are you based on the East Coast of the US or based in the UK but want to always want to travel to the East Coast not the West Coast?
Based on east coast. Travel to UK and Europe but have very limited reasons to go to west coast except for TP run and an occasional visit to friends which I wouldn’t really want to back on to coming back from a UK/EU trip to my east coast home base. Hence my desire to take advantage of fares like DUB-LAX/SFO-BCN using transcontinental domestic legs because they often seem barely more expensive than something like a fare priced between DUB-JFK/PHL-BCN although they earn many more tier points.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by jayjayr
It's that time of the year! I've been planning a way to maintain Silver, and I'm nearly there. By getting a 2 week grace period, I'll 100% get 545 TP's, so that leaves me short of ~35 TP's (BA will maintain status if I achieve 580 TP's), so I need 1 more flight that gets me 40 TP's.

I have options from London or MAD, but all of them seem pretty expensive for 40 TP's (I.e. return journey of 200GBP+).
I'll need to fly before the 19th of Jan.

Cheapest I've found so far is a one way business ticket from MAD to London for under 200.
Any ideas from anyone here?
Thanks!
LHR - MAN? One way J, one way Y. Just a random look at next weekend spews out £190. Or LHR - NCL. First leg in Y, return in J. £160 for next Saturday.
davitcha likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:33 am

Just forward planning to the Autumn will be in LA and BOS and will probably have a spare day. Is there any good 120tp routes on AA out and back from these airports. I have seen before that you can do these triangle routes in a day.

Am getting 1360tps from the trip and would like to only need a single EDI/GLA-LHR trip to push me over the gold threshold.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just booked for July (Thur-Mon/Tue):
DUB-LHR-BOS-LAX-TUC
TUC-LAX-JFK-HEL-LHR-BCN
800TPs (ignoring positioning potential).
It can be had for £1193 on AA 001 ticket (BA 125 much pricier, which is a shame as I'd like to upgrade with GUF).
I paid about £105 more to line up the flights as overnighters, to avoid hotel costs.
They're all lie-flat on the long-haul sectors.
Means 1x night in Boston and 1x night in Tuscon only.
Then overnight LAX-JFK, with 14hrs to head into the city on a Sunday summer's day, overnight JFK-HEL (preferable to LHR on BA as new AY seat and it's a longer flight for sleep); even netted A350 HEL-LHR and pushed the final will-definitely-take-it flight to BCN to the next day...
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Perhaps worth adding the:

CAI-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-SFO return for 1800gbp earning 960 Tps. of course can be optimised further but it's a gem
LilZeppelin and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Perhaps worth adding the:

CAI-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-SFO return for 1800gbp earning 960 Tps. of course can be optimised further but it's a gem
It is, but given the cost of positioning you'd surely be better off doing the DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-XXX-LAX-JFK-HEL-AGP fare for £1200 and 820TPs?
Lefly, AlphaXray and B.Cam like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
It is, but given the cost of positioning you'd surely be better off doing the DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-XXX-LAX-JFK-HEL-AGP fare for £1200 and 820TPs?
I have london stopover and use the LHR-CAI as last leg when i position for next ex-cairo trip - so it costs me nothing to get there!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Just booked for July (Thur-Mon/Tue):
DUB-LHR-BOS-LAX-TUC
TUC-LAX-JFK-HEL-LHR-BCN
800TPs (ignoring positioning potential).
It can be had for £1193 on AA 001 ticket (BA 125 much pricier, which is a shame as I'd like to upgrade with GUF).
I paid about £105 more to line up the flights as overnighters, to avoid hotel costs.
They're all lie-flat on the long-haul sectors.
Means 1x night in Boston and 1x night in Tuscon only.
Then overnight LAX-JFK, with 14hrs to head into the city on a Sunday summer's day, overnight JFK-HEL (preferable to LHR on BA as new AY seat and it's a longer flight for sleep); even netted A350 HEL-LHR and pushed the final will-definitely-take-it flight to BCN to the next day...
Yeah... I told myself the same last time I decided to fly JFK-HEL to go back to Europe. Then I 've been so lucky to choose a night with very high tailwinds, so the flight duration in the end was barely 6 hours...
Regarding the new AY seat, I'm still deciding if it's acceptable or not. The seat belt to use in bed mode was very weird positioned and uncomfortable for my tase/shape.

By the way, is BOS-LAX on the 32B like JFK-LAX/SFO, or they use a "regular" domestic plane?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Yeah... I told myself the same last time I decided to fly JFK-HEL to go back to Europe. Then I 've been so lucky to choose a night with very high tailwinds, so the flight duration in the end was barely 6 hours...
Regarding the new AY seat, I'm still deciding if it's acceptable or not. The seat belt to use in bed mode was very weird positioned and uncomfortable for my tase/shape.

By the way, is BOS-LAX on the 32B like JFK-LAX/SFO, or they use a "regular" domestic plane?
BOS - LAX is a Transcon have got it booked in both directions in September and seating plan is 4 to a row in J.
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
About to press the book button on this... am I right in thinking its 720tp's?
DUB-LHR = 40
LHR-BOS = 140
BOS-LAX = 140
LAX-SFO = 40
SFO-LAX = 40
LAX-BOS = 140
BOS-LHR = 140
LHR-BCN = 40

Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Yes 720
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by m8_rotate
Yes 720
brilliant, thank you!
also any idea of a day trip tp run from LA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.