Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 LHR-SYD 28th Dec Aircraft Swap / BA16 SYD-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold

Hi all!

Flying back to London on BA16, 30th Dec. Just checked our seats (it’s just what I do), and with no notice, we’ve been moved. When I checked, the seat map is the old Club World and on expert flyer, every seat is actually taken.

This route is the same route BA advertises as being Club Suite on their instagram.

Is this aircraft swap likely to stick?
With the config change, is this flight now oversold in business?
I assume there is no point ringing BA to see if they would let us move onto BA16 on another day (such as +1 day). Booked with avios, no availability on other days as expected.

I wouldn’t mind as much if we had a choice of seats. Travelling as a couple, I don’t mind the middle pair. Instead, we’ve been split up.

For such a long flight, it’s safe to say we’re gutted. Yes, I know it’s a first world problem.
londonba2014 and anniegray like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100% they won’t move you to another flight. It’s worth asking at check in if they can shuffle you around, and often on the SIN-SYD there can be free seats that accommodate this.
Keystone likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
It is a 777 with CW not CS but has 14F. F cabin is not full currently and interesting to see what happens to F.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:20 am

Config is set to stick as G-STBC is due to leave this evening on the BA15 LHR-SIN-SYD which will be your aircraft for the BA16 on the 30th.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
I wouldn’t mind as much if we had a choice of seats. Travelling as a couple, I don’t mind the middle pair. Instead, we’ve been split up.
Do either of you have a window / aisle? if so, there's a good chance you can swap these out for a middle pair onboard. As you know, it's usually when folks try to arrange the seat swap to get "better" seats in the process (over and above sitting together) that causes other passengers to dig their heels in and say no.
PLeblond likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
If it were me I would also be livid.

We went to Oz on a 787 and back on the 777 with suites. My girlfriend commented it was like being on a different airline.

I go out of my way to choose club suite routes and avoid ying yang.

I would ask at the airport to be moved to the following day.

I know the airline will hide behind terms and conditions etc but it is bait and switch and should be penalised.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:26 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by jeremyBA

We went to Oz on a 787 and back on the 777 with suites. My girlfriend commented it was like being on a different airline.

I know the airline will hide behind terms and conditions etc but it is bait and switch and should be penalised.
Not sure I get the 'bait and switch' notion. One buys transport from point A to a final point B in a specific cabin on an airline. Seats in a specific cabin change between different equipment and a switch is always possible. But you still fly in the cabin to the destination.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:26 pm
formerly JackDann

I’ve been checking my BA15 seat incase of an aircraft swap nearly daily.

Is the swap just done because it’s what is available on the day?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by jeremyBA

Not sure I get the 'bait and switch' notion. One buys transport from point A to a final point B in a specific cabin on an airline. Seats in a specific cabin change between different equipment and a switch is always possible. But you still fly in the cabin type to the destination. There is no bait here.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
I assume there is no point ringing BA to see if they would let us move onto BA16 on another day (such as +1 day). Booked with avios, no availability on other days as expected.
BA will not move you to another flight, even if you'd paid a cash fare.

I've had the aircraft swap happen a few times flying to and from JFK - supposedly a "guaranteed" Club Suite route. Asking at check-in if I could move to an earlier or later flights with Club Suites I was practically laughed at.

When similar happened with Qatar, they proactively sent an email notification of the aircraft swap (and loss of Qsuite), and offered a free change to another flight.

If it's any consolation, I actually found the older CW seats to be more comfortable and get a better sleep in them.
BA or bust and JimEddie like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Back in 2021 I was able to move an SFO-LAX-LHR-BLR itinerary (BA280 LAX-LHR booked as 77W club suites, but got swapped to non-club suites) to SFO-DFW-LHR-BLR (DFW-LHR BA192 on a 78X with club suites) for these reasons. However this was about 1.5 weeks before departure.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Does anyone know why BA have swapped the plane to the older 14F/CW offering, and if this is now going to be a regular swap on this route?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:51 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Not sure I get the 'bait and switch' notion. One buys transport from point A to a final point B in a specific cabin on an airline. Seats in a specific cabin change between different equipment and a switch is always possible. But you still fly in the cabin type to the destination. There is no bait here.
They advertised this routing and flight number as having Club Suites on social media. I don’t think they should have done that - none of the flights on this route through summer has Club Suites.
Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by JD1905
They advertised this routing and flight number as having Club Suites on social media. I don’t think they should have done that - none of the flights on this route through summer has Club Suites.
Nothing is ever guaranteed though. Marketing is one thing, practicality is quite another.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Currently sat on BA15 and can confirm it’s G-STBC with old Club World. I have to say, I do feel sorry for people in CW - trips around this time of year are often a special trip which people have saved/waited a long time for, and to have the product changed so drastically with no recourse feels unfair. We were incredibly lucky and were upgraded to First purely by virtue of the aircraft change but we’re one of the few winners on this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.