Search

BA bag-drop close-out times at BRU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (silver) and Miles and More
BA bag-drop close-out times at BRU

Hello there!
Today I arrived sprinting to the bag-drop at BRU for a flight to LHR after having been delayed owing to two cancelled trains. I turned up at T-57 and was told that the flight had closed. I asked them nicely in Dutch if there was any way they could reconsider and they reopened and took my bag to my very great relief and gratitude.

Then, irony of ironies, when I got to the lounge I was told there was a 30 minute delay! (But that they always close check-in on schedule).

Is T-60 standard on BA flights down route for short haul? It seems a little bit on the strict side. Ditto not allowing much of a margin when the flight is delayed. (Admittedly in my case they did, but it was close!)
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Most european airports is t-45 for bag drop
but a few airports inc Bru and ber are t-60

Info on BA.com

Regards

Tbs
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's a pre-programmed 45 minutes for most shorthaul locations, but BRU is one of a handful of locations with a 1 hour cut-off, the full list being:

Amsterdam, Amman, Antalya, Barcelona, Berlin (Brandenburg), Brussels, Cairo, Dalaman, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Istanbul - SAW (Sabih Gokcen Airport), Larnaca, Lisbon, Madrid, Milan (Malpensa), Palma de Mallorca, Paphos and Paris

so these places are longer than LGW and LHR, both 45 minutes, and LHR is 35 minutes for then getting to security. Longhaul is 1 hour throughout, LCY is the other exception in the other direction, 20 minutes for baggage drop.

BRU sometimes is a bit sticky at passport and security screen points, its presence overall isn't as justifiable as some of the other locations, BER and CAI spring to mind where you really need the full hour, sometimes BCN. But I can well see why the agents gave you a bit of grace, it can be over-ridden despite what they may say. And BRU is pretty efficient overall. Check-in (so this is different to baggage drop) is a pretty hard 1 hour requirement, hence OLCI is a good idea just in case something happens. If all else fails you may be able to dump any large liquid items and take checked bags to the gate for re-checking there.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC
And at outstations they will close check in on schedule unless it's been signalled with prior notice that check in times have changed.

​​​They're not doing this to be awkward but at outstations the staff who do check in are contractors who will be there for 3 or 4 hours and then typically (a) go airside and deal with the gate, or (b) go off for a break or complete their shift, or (c) check in for another flight/airline. In many airports the check in counter will likely be reassigned to check in for another flight/airline. There's just not the luxury to keep in open longer than it needs to be.
eurodan likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (silver) and Miles and More
Thanks for the swift and insightful replies! I normally fly with hand baggage only and in plenty of time but of course this would be the one time that I was late and had a huge suitcase! And on a day with disruption too (Eurotunnel strike) so I was worried that I wouldn’t make it at all if I missed this flight. I was getting ready to sprint back to the car park and leave my suitcase in my car and fly with hand baggage but luckily they took pity on me. (My train was cancelled so I drove, hence being late).

Anyway, all’s well that ends well (so long as I see that case on the belt at T5 ;-) )
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:25 pm

Turning up once, with a bag to drop, at 40 minutes before a flight from BSL / Basel, I was lucky. I was told the reason for them usually closing at T-45 isn't because they think it'll take people that long to get to the gate, but because *they* have to close-up and then go and staff the gate.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I've missed bag drop at AMS a handful of times and my bags have been accepted, following a phone call. The agent didn't seem to have to beg whoever they were calling, but it sounded more of a 'just checking it's okay'. Back in COVID days and pre-veriFLY, OLCI was not an option and I saw many people get rejected at checked for missing the T-60 cut off for the document checks.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Travelling in Februari from BRU and normally check in only opens 2 hours before departure.

There are 2 flights that day, 14:50 and 17:40.
If I'm on the 17:40 flight can I then already check in my luggage, let me say 13:30 - 13:50 (before the t-60 for the 14:50 flight) ?
Is that possible ?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jordi14
Travelling in Februari from BRU and normally check in only opens 2 hours before departure.

If I'm on the 17:40 flight can I then already check in my luggage, let me say 13:30 - 13:50 (before the t-60 for the 14:50 flight) ?
Is that possible ?
Someone may be able to give some specific BRU info, but this is normally fine at most stations (one notable exception is GVA in ski season due to volume of luggage).
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by Jordi14

Is that possible ?
Normally not.
The check-in at Bru opens t120 -t150.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Someone may be able to give some specific BRU info, but this is normally fine at most stations (one notable exception is GVA in ski season due to volume of luggage).
Originally Posted by diamantaire
Normally not.
The check-in at Bru opens t120 -t150.
Depends on the willingness of the agent to (a) bend the rules, (b) switch their terminal from earlier to later flight, (c) accept your bag, (d) switch terminal back to earlier flight.

You might get a compassionate agent or their supervisor but you should not expect it.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Do they even need to switch between flights in FLY?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:03 pm

It was a few years ago now and pretty sure it was post Fly implementation, but I was given the explanation above as a half-hearted explanation why they really didn't want to take my bags early at Frankfurt with typical German formality, but they did in fact relent and do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.