Wiki Posts
Search

600 problems and a fix ain’t one.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
600 problems and a fix ain’t one.

Apologies for the click-bait headline. Story in the Times today suggests Sean Doyle
has been focusing on the job. Whether shareholders will cough up the £7bn or not remains to be seen, but as a very loyal customer I cannot help but feel some hope that the app will be sorted.

British Airways to improve 600 problem areas in £7bn overhaul

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/32b85ada-ad51-4832-baac-bbea204056d8?shareToken=d020f2314c352b946acf44dbc7 2dc8e0
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
That URL doesn't go to an article, just The Times home page.

The correct link is: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...sses-729dqvxjk

And for those who don't have a subscription to get around the paywall, try this: https://archive.ph/4Uq6E
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
It's all good stuff in theory but I'm conscious that some of the stuff that was announced back in early 2022 was never really implemented. Take bag tracking for instance, on AA I can find out when it's loaded into a container, loaded onto the plane and arrives on the carousel. On BA, 18 months after tracking was promised I can see a receipt number and the words 'checked in' even after I've picked the bag up. There's a 50/50 chance that I'll get a push notification when the bag arrives on a carousel at T5.

I have more faith in Sean than most other recent CEOs but 2 years is a long time to spend listening and thinking.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
I've read about banks having to spend $1 billion on their IT but wow $7 billion BA bad.

Bet that Tata contract to outsource IT is looking really good now.

Spend a penny to save a pound but in this case save a penny to spend 7 pounds.

I know shareholders mean everything to a CEO and a board but if any CEOs are here reading this, Don't kick problems down the road for years as your share price won't like it in the long term.
BearX220 and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:02 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Smoke and mirrors.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by pacenotes
I've read about banks having to spend $1 billion on their IT but wow $7 billion BA bad.
I read it as 7 billion in total, not just on IT.
rockflyertalk and stefan_nl like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC
I remember the £6 billion investment touted by Alex Cruz Cutter! Believe when I see it!

200 staff on the BA website/app seems a lot of people!

So T5B is the finished article? I haven’t visited but it doesn’t bode well for great refurbs in T5A. A bit of new furniture and a few repairs. I’m hoping for gutting and starting again with this figure of investment. Let’s see what next year brings.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sigma421
...Take bag tracking for instance, on AA I can find out when it's loaded into a container, loaded onto the plane and arrives on the carousel. On BA, 18 months after tracking was promised I can see a receipt number and the words 'checked in' even after I've picked the bag up.
TBF, on a trip to CPH, on landing I checked where my bags were using my Tile - they weren't at CPH so I just went the baggage desk (ahead of the herd), they scanned the baggage receipt and immediately knew where my bags were - still at LHR.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Big plans. let's see what comes to fruition
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
IT infrastructure is a beast. Even with the best laid plans, these changes can take years. Especially when the technology is way beyond its life span.

I don’t think we will see a complete “wow” moment in terms of a new customer experience on the front end, rather it will be a series of incremental changes on the back end to fix & replace ageing systems that at least should make the customer journey less fraught.

(speaking from my background with no insight in to BA)
BA or bust, BA235, Cymro and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

So T5B is the finished article? I haven’t visited but it doesn’t bode well for great refurbs in T5A. A bit of new furniture and a few repairs. I’m hoping for gutting and starting again with this figure of investment. Let’s see what next year brings.
For now. Bigger plans are afoot, but - as for everything - will take time to be put in place.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
British Airways to improve 600 problem areas in £7bn overhaul
At the Capital Markets Day, IAG said BA would spend £7bn on “transformation” over the next 3 years. This includes fleet spend, and IT spend is planned at £750m.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
These two excerpts from the article really got me cracking:

“Sean wants BA to lead the way in digital transformation and has a clear plan to realise that ambition,” an airline source said.
​​​​​​​The aim is that passengers with problems, such as delays that will see them miss their connection, will be able to speak to crew who, using Microsoft Teams, will be able to talk to staff on the ground and arrange re-booking onto a later flight while in the air.
Nothing says "leader in digital transformation" more than cabin crew using Teams to rebook passengers instead of creating an app allowing passengers to rebook themselves.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jambon87
IT infrastructure is a beast. Even with the best laid plans, these changes can take years. Especially when the technology is way beyond its life span.

I don’t think we will see a complete “wow” moment in terms of a new customer experience on the front end, rather it will be a series of incremental changes on the back end to fix & replace ageing systems that at least should make the customer journey less fraught.

(speaking from my background with no insight in to BA)
The front end IT aspect of this may not be “big bang” (although with 200 people working on it hopefully improvements are en route), but the article places emphasis on customer experience:

“There will also be changes to the on-board passenger experience that are designed to bring the UK flag carrier up the level of rivals, most notably Middle Eastern airlines.“

The rumoured First seat+bed would certainly tick that box but there is a big gap between CW and what you get on Qatar/Emirates. I can’t even imagine how they aim to bridge that in the next 3 years, assuming the ME3 don’t make their own improvements too.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
“There will also be changes to the on-board passenger experience that are designed to bring the UK flag carrier up the level of rivals, most notably Middle Eastern airlines.“
Technically they might be referring to MEA Middle East Airlines of er....Beirut

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.