Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking Strategy for UEFA Euro 2024 Germany June 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.

With the impending draw this weekend for fixtures, and before prices sky-rocket further, I've already booked Avios redemptions from London-North Rhine-Westphalia-London as there are more stadiums in that vicinity, and have a confirmed ticket for a group game in that area already.
With the option to book for £1 plus a higher Avios total, rather than higher cash/lower Avios would one be better to book a few flights for outside of NRW, and cancel these if the draw isn't suitable, losing the £1, but getting the Avios back?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
With the impending draw this weekend for fixtures, and before prices sky-rocket further, I've already booked Avios redemptions from London-North Rhine-Westphalia-London as there are more stadiums in that vicinity, and have a confirmed ticket for a group game in that area already.
With the option to book for £1 plus a higher Avios total, rather than higher cash/lower Avios would one be better to book a few flights for outside of NRW, and cancel these if the draw isn't suitable, losing the £1, but getting the Avios back?
Seems a sensible approach to me, assuming you are hedging your bets about where Scotland will play?

I assume you are aware of the discount train tickets available in January between the main host cities if you stick with the existing flight?

I’ve booked the same for DUS, but we are just going for the first week this time. Just need tickets for another 5 games now!
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Accomodation is problematic, prices are already sky-high!
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alan T
Seems a sensible approach to me, assuming you are hedging your bets about where Scotland will play?
Yes, indeed. Since the SFA email yesterday, I'm now guaranteed the three group games, I'll worry about the final later...

I assume you are aware of the discount train tickets available in January between the main host cities if you stick with the existing flight?
No, I'm not. I'll have to look in to this, although, I'm kinda lucky and do get reduced rate travel on DB in normal circumstances.

I’ve booked the same for DUS, but we are just going for the first week this time. Just need tickets for another 5 games now!
Yes, It's DUS I've concentrated on for now - but group stages will move about the country. Good luck in the ticket rush!

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Yes! was thinking of hopping over a near border for the days between games if it comes to it. Saturday will be busy!
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Good luck to you all in getting flighs and hotels booked,
BlueThroughCrimp and Alan T like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Frankly, given what you’ll pay for games and accommodation, the flights are the least of your worries. If you are going to pay that sort of money anyway, you might as well wait to know what games you can and want to attend.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Frankly, given what you’ll pay for games and accommodation, the flights are the least of your worries. If you are going to pay that sort of money anyway, you might as well wait to know what games you can and want to attend.
Yes, the getting there isn't too bad just now, come Staturday night...?
The €30 a game Fans First tickets look like they'll be for the Supporters Clubs.
I posted mostly to see if any other fans had a better strategy for the Euros.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA silver
Some of us 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 are waiting for the playoffs. 😬
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Booked mine months ago, it’s now 3 times the rate.

Of course, if you are planning on following a team around it’s a bit more difficult, even after the draw for the KO rounds.

Details of the discount DB tickets. You also get 36 hours of free city/regional public transport with each match ticket and maybe the €49 Deutschland ticket, although its a bit of faff to set up, and not valid on ICE trains might be an option for some?

https://support.tickets-euro2024.uef...icket-holders-
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Yes, the getting there isn't too bad just now, come Staturday night...?
The €30 a game Fans First tickets look like they'll be for the Supporters Clubs.
I posted mostly to see if any other fans had a better strategy for the Euros.
There are some Fans First available for the General Public, some were allocated in the recent lottery, but the wait now is to see if there is another General Public Lottery, as well as the forthcoming PNA sales, before then FCFS ticket scrum begins next year? As usual UEFA are all smoke and mirrors and their IT is worse than BAs!
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Booked mine months ago, it’s now 3 times the rate.

Of course, if you are planning on following a team around it’s a bit more difficult, even after the draw for the KO rounds.

Details of the discount DB tickets. You also get 36 hours of free city/regional public transport with each match ticket and maybe the €49 Deutschland ticket, although its a bit of faff to set up, and not valid on ICE trains might be an option for some?

https://support.tickets-euro2024.uef...icket-holders-
Thanks for the link, I did see that after you mentioned it, and looks helpful. I've found decent accommodation in a central non-host city that was still at normalish prices, so the DB ticket packages could come in very handy.
Hopefully I've got a decent spread of arrival and departure times and locations for the flights covered.

I guess the BA aspect is now done, and any wandering mods would prefer further discussion of Euro 2024 to be in another place?
Alan T likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
The other option would be to book cash bookings before the draw and cancel within the 24 hour cooling off period if required.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 4:08 am

Thumbs up

I hope you’ve bought your tickets for the final.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Booked GLA > LHR > CGN and return in CE during the October premium cabin sale. £440. Hardly a bargain but I’d been keeping an eye on prices the previous few weeks and I just couldn’t see them going any lower. Especially once more countries were confirmed as qualifying.

Checked today and the same flights are now £590. Dusseldorf was pricing roughly the same as CGN when I booked. It’s now pricing at £700-£800 return in CE for my dates of travel.

The plan is to take in a few games in Cologne and Düsseldorf. Who happens to be playing will just be pot luck. I’m happy with that. Hanging on and booking after the draw is made to make sure you’re heading where your country is playing will no doubt prove to be very expensive.

For those thinking of heading to Germany for Euro 2024, it’s worth noting the draw for the group stages is tomorrow. As soon as that’s made no doubt prices with BA (and all the other airlines flying UK > Germany routes) to the cities England and Scotland are playing in will go through the roof.
BlueThroughCrimp and Alan T like this.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Dec 1, 2023 at 1:29 pm
Old Dec 2, 2023, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Well, my options weren’t covered as well as the draw went, but still managed to get CE redemptions out from Heathrow to Munich the day before the opening game and Frankfurt - Heathrow - Edinburgh the day after the last group fixture.
Got to love the Avios!
Alan T likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.