Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

safe connection time for SFO-LHR-GLA [separate tickets]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

safe connection time for SFO-LHR-GLA [separate tickets]?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
My own experience with Avanti has been excellent - no cancellations or significant delays - but I accept that this isn't the experience of others.
The 08.52 from Edinburgh to London was cancelled yesterday, leaving a two-hour gap until the 10.52. It wasn't a major inconvenience for me, especially as I'll get my entire fare back as compensation (I was travelling to Crewe, so there was no alternative to Avanti).
Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Train for me too. The £30 standard premium upgrade is a no brainer and there are solo seats in the carriages so can get some peace and quiet. If you get the 1330 from Euston you’ll be in Glasgow at 1800 so it’s a bit faster than flying. Get the 12:30 (which is possible but not so easy) and it’s plenty faster.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plt, OW Blue!
Sorry to bring this backup but we have had a schedule change so our arrival is at 10am, not 10:50.

so we now have 3:10 mins before a 13:10 departure to Glasgow.

I think we will go for it as that seems like a reasonable amount of time for a connection in the same terminal.

Oh, Merry Christmas to everyone!
Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
If flying from USA, surely you would need to clear customs with your luggage at LHR as First point of entry to the UK?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 9:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Kay_Baden
If flying from USA, surely you would need to clear customs with your luggage at LHR as First point of entry to the UK?
Checked luggage is cleared at GLA (there's a special delivery belt for that), hand luggage is cleared at LHR, there is passport control, which is run by the Border Force and who operate airport customs on behalf of HMRC. The USA has a different system.
KARFA and Kay_Baden like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Kay_Baden
Apparently there's a red phone to call if you've got anything to declare at the UK final destination (MAN/GLA/NCL etc ..) and someone will "come and meet you". At least that was what I was supposed to have known when I dare queried this some months ago and was unceremoniously put in my place by somone with the compassion and decorum of a breeze block!

It's nice to see people can respond nicely to the same question
Kay_Baden likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Checked luggage is cleared at GLA.
I think the OP said their GLA flight was on a seperate PNR so they will have to pick up their baggage and recheck it. That will mean going landside and clearing customs anyway won't it? Nothing to do with USA style 'first point of entry'.
If it was me I would still go for the later flight as 3 hours isn't anywhere near my comfort zone for this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I think the OP said their GLA flight was on a seperate PNR so they will have to pick up their baggage and recheck it. That will mean going landside and clearing customs anyway won't it? Nothing to do with USA style 'first point of entry'.
If it was me I would still go for the later flight as 3 hours isn't anywhere near my comfort zone for this.
Yes, that's probably going to be the outcome, it's possible that Amadeus will link the bookings (I had this happen on Friday at JFK, though HBO so not of any value) but the OP can't count on that happening. If the GLA ticket was a Plus ticket then I would be OK to do this, since it can be pushed out, or brought in earlier, using FCOD, and perhaps in SFO depending on exact timings / GMT midnight, so once the likely arrival time is clear.
DeathSlam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.