Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling reward seat on return leg only

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2023, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Cancelling reward seat on return leg only

Hi all, is it possible to cancel the return leg of a reward booking? I’ve tried to do it online but it will only allow me to cancel the entire booking. Do I need to call BA to make this cancellation or is it possible to do it online?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, this is a phone call, since it's more of an amendment than a cancellation. I doubt it will be a long call.
Andre182 and SxMan like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Just to note (as it caught me out the other week), this can only be done before you fly the outbound.

Once ou have begun the trip, there is no way of cancelling the remaining legs for a refund.

CB
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbyrne92
Just to note (as it caught me out the other week), this can only be done before you fly the outbound.

Once ou have begun the trip, there is no way of cancelling the remaining legs for a refund.

CB
yes, thanks. I could see that in the T&Cs so want to ensure I do this before the outbound
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Two singles

Somebody once told me, years ago, to always book a reward return as two singles – that is two separate bookings. Not sure that is quite necessary nowadays because I think there is more flexibility than I was when I was given this advice. But I still always do that so it does mean that I can cancel the return even after I’ve flown my first, outward booking👍
trolleymusic and cbyrne92 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SxMan
Somebody once told me, years ago, to always book a reward return as two singles – that is two separate bookings. Not sure that is quite necessary nowadays because I think there is more flexibility than I was when I was given this advice. But I still always do that so it does mean that I can cancel the return even after I’ve flown my first, outward booking👍
that’s actually a good idea
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Problem with booking two separate out and returns, is that if you want to cancel you are subject to the £35 x 2 rather than once
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Problem with booking two separate out and returns, is that if you want to cancel you are subject to the £35 x 2 rather than once
true, although when i went to cancel the full booking, it would only charge me £1 per flight. Even though i had partially paid with pounds. It would refund me basically the full cash and avios amount. I am still confused if this is a mistake. Because it is clear i should be charged at least £35 for cancelling. I initially thought i woulf be charged £70 (£35 for each flight)
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Also you don't necessarily have that flexibility when using a 241. If you cancel a return you effectively are losing half the Avios for that return which you cannot get back. So if using a 241 and the outbound is 10000 Avios and the return is 10000 Avios, cancellation of the return gives you back 10000... but the other 'free' 10000 is lost.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Similar question. My partner is booked LAX-LHR-EDI-LHR-LAX over Christmas/New Year. We don't want the EDI legs anymore. I assume this is just a case of calling, asking to dump the EDI legs and paying the amendment fee? No need for award availability on the LAX flights to still be in place?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by SxMan
Still pretty well essential I think booking reward flights to and from Oz in terms of availability. Of course not relevant to OP
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by blurt91; Nov 17, 2023 at 4:45 am Reason: More info
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by sigma421
Similar question. My partner is booked LAX-LHR-EDI-LHR-LAX over Christmas/New Year. We don't want the EDI legs anymore. I assume this is just a case of calling, asking to dump the EDI legs and paying the amendment fee? No need for award availability on the LAX flights to still be in place?
If you used a 2-4-1 voucher for these flights and took advantage of the extra regional availability (i.e there was availability via EDI when there wasn't for the same flights LAX-LHR-LAX when you booked) then I think there would need to be LAX-LHR-LAX award availability now, otherwise you should be fine.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by louie-m
If you used a 2-4-1 voucher for these flights and took advantage of the extra regional availability (i.e there was availability via EDI when there wasn't for the same flights LAX-LHR-LAX when you booked) then I think there would need to be LAX-LHR-LAX award availability now, otherwise you should be fine.
Cool! It's a standard booking so we should be okay.

Thank you
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Unless of course you are GGL
mikeyfly, SxMan and BA or bust like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andre182
that’s actually a good idea
… or not? As mentioned, twice change/cancellation fees, but also if BA cancel one flight and you decide to change day or route, you won’t get to change the other booking if it hasn’t been affected.
Andre182 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.