Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I change flight to a different destination & date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Probably will have to cancel some flights only to Tenerife in January due to new work commitments, will I be able to change these to say Paphos in September by paying any fare difference, or is it a cancel only option? Presume if possible has to be done by calling. Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
What fare is it? The answer is probably not. You'll be able to change the date for a fare difference and a change fee, but not the destination. You'll have to cancel, for a refund on part of your taxes.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
Probably will have to cancel some flights only to Tenerife in January due to new work commitments, will I be able to change these to say Paphos in September by paying any fare difference, or is it a cancel only option? Presume if possible has to be done by calling. Thanks
Date and destination changes are possible, you generally pay in fare and taxes fees and charges plus a change fee. To change destination it is necessary to call.

However what date its possible to change to will depend on your ticket validity. If you havent made any changes the latest you can travel is 1 year from when you originally purchased the ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Not sure of the fare, business class not flexible, I can see it gives me an option online to change the date/time but only the same destination. Presume the tax refund is small?
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba
Date and destination changes are possible, you generally pay in fare and taxes fees and charges plus a change fee. To change destination it is necessary to call.

However what date its possible to change to will depend on your ticket validity. If you havent made any changes the latest you can travel is 1 year from when you originally purchased the ticket.
Thanks, I bought the ticket in Feb 23 so presume I will not be able to change it to Sept 24?
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by c1223
What fare is it? The answer is probably not. You'll be able to change the date for a fare difference and a change fee, but not the destination. You'll have to cancel, for a refund on part of your taxes.
Destination change is possible just not online, you need to call. With a non refundable ticket it will also usually make more sense to call and make this change instead of cancelling.
c1223 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Destination change is possible just not online, you need to call. With a non refundable ticket it will also usually make more sense to call and make this change instead of cancelling.
Thanks but I think the rule you mentioned of only upto 1 year will prevent me.
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:15 am

Thanks but I think the rule you mentioned of only upto 1 year will prevent me.
I was clarifying as c1223 told you destination change isnt possible at all
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:20 am
Original Poster

I was clarifying as c1223 told you destination change isnt possible at all
Yes I understand many thanks, I will call up now just to try.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Interesting. I've only ever actually tried it once, last year, however I was told I couldn't change the destination. Goes to show that sometimes you really do need to HUACA>
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:10 pm

Few points:

(1) If your fare rules allow a change, e.g. for £50, then you can change to any other BA ticket, as previously advised. You need to call to change destination.

(2) You need to take the first flight within a year of you buying the ticket. So if you bought the ticket in August 2023, Paphos in September 2024 isn't possible.

(3) Subsequent flights need to be taken within a year of the first flight.

So you could get around the ticket validity dates by e.g. change to EDI-LHR in say May 2024, stopover in London until September 2024, then fly LGW-PFO in September, returning PFO-LGW a week later. All 3 segments on the ticket.
paulaf likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by c1223
Just FYI, don't know a single airline that completely bans changing destinations (but Ryanair won't let you change between a domestic & international flight). Eurostar is the one to be careful of, they don't allow it, and of course they are not an airline!
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by cauchy
Few points:

(1) If your fare rules allow a change, e.g. for £50, then you can change to any other BA ticket, as previously advised. You need to call to change destination.

(2) You need to take the first flight within a year of you buying the ticket. So if you bought the ticket in August 2023, Paphos in September 2024 isn't possible.

So you could get around the ticket validity dates by e.g. change to EDI-LHR in say May 2024, stopover in London until September 2024, then fly LGW-PFO in September, returning PFO-LGW a week later. All 3 segments on the ticket.
OPs ticket was booked feb 23 so they would need to fly out before then. However if they make a paid change to flights before feb24 now, this would then reset the ticket validity to being one year from the date the ticket was reissued. It would be then possible to change again to later dates.
paulaf likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cauchy
Few points:

With your last option to get around the ticket validity dates would i have to fly the first unnecessary leg? Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
With your last option to get around the ticket validity dates would i have to fly the first unnecessary leg? Thanks
if you miss a leg then all further flights on the booking will be cancelled
paulaf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.