Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When looking after off-duty crew becomes theft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR

I was on a short-haul flight in CE last week - passenger seated close by clearly off duty crew (and confirmed as such later) due to the amount of attention they received from one flight attendant in particular. Drinks flowing liberally, with multiple re-fills lined up, lots of chat, back and forth to the galley etc. Slightly irksome that my own drink order is completely forgotten, and I have to ask a separate crew member about 10 mins later, but nothing at this stage to be particularly bothered about.

But then the booze starts to flow even more liberally between said cabin crew member and off-duty crew member. Multiple bottles of wine are delivered, cabin bag is remove from overhead, wine ends up in the bag. One (or two) for the road home at this point! Then at least 8 miniature bottles of spirits are delivered. Coat is removed from overhead, spirits are put into coat pockets. After a final trip to the galley before touchdown, the off-duty crew member returns with a carrier bag of stuff, can't see what's in it.

Feeling somewhat conflicted. Calling it in and someone may well lose their job. But this level of blatant theft by an employee leaves a bad taste, and if it was someone in my business I would want to know about it.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You should have asked them.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Put the popcorn on…
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by JapesUK
Put the popcorn on…
Looks like we won't need telly tonight
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not acceptable or professional.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:23 am

I often walk off a plane with drinks from crew and I have zero affiliation with BA.

Granted, not usually to this anywhere near this quantum.

I would advise not winding yourself up and not getting involved. There is enough else happening in the world to not cause one's self further anxiety.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
You should've asked the "off duty crew member" if you could have had one of their drinks.....
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Unprofessional perhaps in that it was done in full view of other passengers in such a way they saw it but .....

As a Y passenger, at the end of a flight from kuwait to DXB, I have been given an unopened bottle of champagne to take home from an EK flight that I can remember. No doubt there were other times that have clouded in fog.

I have never been crew

It happens
DASRTR and AirbusA350 like this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Nov 12, 2023 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Mks6
I would advise not winding yourself up and not getting involved.
This seems to be the favourite phrase of people who get caught and want to persuade you not to say anything. I called out someone at Sainsbury's self-check outs who I noticed was leaving without paying, they responded "oh you don't need to get involved honey" and rushed off. I did then tell the staff member but he also couldn't care less, other than to casually swipe the unpaid items off the screen and call "next customer".
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Unprofessional perhaps in that it was done in full view of other passengers in such a way they saw it but .....

As a Y passenger, at the end of a flight from kuwait to DXB, I have been given an unopened bottle of champagne to take home from an EK flight that I can remember. No doubt there were other times that have clouded in fog.

I have never been crew

It happens
There's clearly a difference between a crew member giving you a bottle to take away (presumably as a gift) and shoving what must have been at least a dozen minitures into their colleague's pockets/luggage.
chris63, FMDXR, ttama and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
There's clearly a difference between a crew member giving you a bottle to take away (presumably as a gift) and shoving what must have been at least a dozen minitures into their colleague's pockets/luggage.
i am not sure there is. I knew several of the crew members and regularly was on evenings out with them

Fairly sure i have had a small bag of minatures handed to me

I've also had a business class breakfast provided to me in Y on ek by crew who knew me ...
DASRTR likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:24 pm

Put the popcorn on…
I couldn't find any in the lounge, so took 10 packets of crisps instead. Hope that's ok.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I couldn't find any in the lounge, so took 10 packets of crisps instead. Hope that's ok.
Ahh, so it was you in the flounge this afternoon cramming a tote bag full of tyrrells
Quark999, Nick_USA and m8_rotate like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Quite unprofessional I would say (given the scale of drinks) and perhaps how obvious is seems to have been. I suppose would you be as annoyed if they were not crew?

It has happened more than once that my wife and I were given a couple of mini champagne bottles for hotel EDI-LCY route (but never on the morning flights &#129315.
Nick_USA likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Ahh, so it was you in the flounge this afternoon cramming a tote bag full of tyrrells
Very impressed at the concern for not going over the cabin baggage weight limit by grabbing a case of wine - that pax should get an upgrade to F immediately
JapesUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.