Search

LHR-SFO-SAN connection advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:35 am
GLA
Original Poster

Programs: BA VS
LHR-SFO-SAN connection advice

Hi All. I will be arriving SFO very slightly delayed today at 14.22 on current estimate. I am transiting to AS flight to SAN which departs from Terminal 2 at 16.15. I am travelling HBO and hoping immigration line is kind to me.

Any top tips on a smooth connection?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GLA
Hi All. I will be arriving SFO very slightly delayed today at 14.22 on current estimate. I am transiting to AS flight to SAN which departs from Terminal 2 at 16.15. I am travelling HBO and hoping immigration line is kind to me.

Any top tips on a smooth connection?
Yes so I guess you roughly know where you are going? Out of immigration, head to the landside transit - try pick the anti clockwise one as it’s much shorter than taking the clockwise one, and through security. It very much depends on immigration, and security in T2. If neither are busy it should be easily possible to be airside within 30 minutes of stepping off your ba flight.
GLA, Radiation Station and econ like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Only one: rush once you get off the plane. That immigration hall fills up quickly. I've waited more than 2 hours in there multiple times, including when off the plane in the first few passengers because there were other flights backlogged in there.

Have a look at rebooking options too in case you don't make it so you can give those to an agent once you're in the US.

Too late for now, but if it's something you'll be doing often, you should try to get Global Entry.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:52 am
GLA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
Only one: rush once you get off the plane. That immigration hall fills up quickly. I've waited more than 2 hours in there multiple times, including when off the plane in the first few passengers because there were other flights backlogged in there.

Have a look at rebooking options too in case you don't make it so you can give those to an agent once you're in the US.

Too late for now, but if it's something you'll be doing often, you should try to get Global Entry.
I liked the more optimistic answer above 😅

But, yes, I will scoot off the plane as fast as I can. Since I am in 3A I should be in reasonable shape. Just depends on who gets there before us…
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If you are on a single ticket, and if you miss your connection, BA would rebook you on to AS or UA the same evening, whichever has available seats.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:18 am

I have arrived in SFO from DOH around that time on a couple of occasions this year, also needing to catch that same AS flight on a separate ticket.

First time we were on schedule so no problem. Second time we were a bit late and got in after the Emirates A380 and immigration was rammed. I made the AS flight but it wasn't comfortable.

So if on separate tix my advice is to keep an eye on the time. Many AS tix will allow a same day change subject to space available, or a refund to a voucher, provided you deal with it online before the scheduled departure.

I had also booked myself a fully refundable ticket as a back up on the United flight 2 hours later (the next AS was 3 hours later and may have been full) which I cancelled once I knew I had made the AS flight.

If you are on a single ticket though then of course you will need to speak with the airline if your delay causes you to miss the AS flight.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:21 am
GLA
Original Poster

Thanks all. It’s a single ticket so not too concerned. Just don’t fancy a longer connection if I miss the original flight.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
You could also walk clockwise from the International Terminal towards the G gates, then T3, then T2.

Can even go through security at Intl G, T3, or T2, since they are all connected airside. Depending on time of day, security at Intl G is sometimes the quickest.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Very doable…. You never said if you had global entry or not, but even if you don’t, shouldn’t be a problem. Once you’re outside and following Karfa’s counter clockwise direction, it’s a 5-9 minute walk depending on your pace to the T2 security which will not be busy at that time..
That leaves plenty of time for a slightly backed up immigration point.
also leaves time for a glass of California wine or beer in the AS lounge before you board your flight.
Finally if it comes it, there are at least 3 airlines that will have later flights to San Diego that BA can put you on.
GLA likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by FenwayTim
Once you’re outside and following Karfa’s counter clockwise direction, it’s a 5-9 minute walk depending on your pace to the T2 security which will not be busy at that time..
To be clear, I believe the recommendation was to take the AirTrain counter-clockwise (from the Intl A station), which will work fine.

I wouldn't recommend attempting to walk counter-clockwise from the International Terminal all the way to T2, due to construction between T1 and T2.
GLA likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:46 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Very doable…. You never said if you had global entry or not, but even if you don’t, shouldn’t be a problem. Once you’re outside and following Karfa’s counter clockwise direction, it’s a 5-9 minute walk depending on your pace to the T2 security which will not be busy at that time..
That leaves plenty of time for a slightly backed up immigration point.
also leaves time for a glass of California wine or beer in the AS lounge before you board your flight.
Finally if it comes it, there are at least 3 airlines that will have later flights to San Diego that BA can put you on.
No GE. Will be delighted if I get a quick stop in the lounge!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by econ
To be clear, I believe the recommendation was to take the AirTrain counter-clockwise (from the Intl A station), which will work fine.

I wouldn't recommend attempting to walk counter-clockwise from the International Terminal all the way to T2, due to construction between T1 and T2.
Actually I meant walking outside (it is a nice day too), but yes the train with the same counter clockwise direction works too. The "interim" walkway along the road is not bad and unless you catch the train perfectly, might be just as fast as taking the train to get to the security point at T2.
Either way, I am thinking the OP is in the airport now, so would be curious to know if it indeed all worked out in their favor when all is said and done.. .
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:03 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Actually I meant walking outside (it is a nice day too), but yes the train with the same counter clockwise direction works too. The "interim" walkway along the road is not bad and unless you catch the train perfectly, might be just as fast as taking the train to get to the security point at T2.
Either way, I am thinking the OP is in the airport now, so would be curious to know if it indeed all worked out in their favor when all is said and done.. .
But of a delay with the jet bridge but a gloriously empty immigration hall. Now in the line for security at T2. I will get to the lounge after all 😊

Thanks for all the tips!
econ, remaxmac, mikeyfly and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by GLA
I will get to the lounge after all 😊
I recommend the mac and cheese, if they have it out.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:49 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
I recommend the mac and cheese, if they have it out.
Check! It was trashy but nice. Augmented with some BBQ pork. 👍

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.