Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Ex EU flights to asia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2023, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Cheap Ex EU flights to asia

Do you think the cheap BA club world flights from Europe to Asia will ever return? Before I could get to HKG for about €1800 now they are all £3.4k plus

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Adamhk74
Do you think the cheap BA club world flights from Europe to Asia will ever return? Before I could get to HKG for about €1800 now they are all £3.4k plus

Thanks
Not for as long as BA continues to sell out Club with people who are willing to pay c.£3k and up, no.

Have you tried looking at other alliances? Lufthansa is currently offering BUD-ICN for £1100ish round-trip in Business.
ermis177, becks1, Adamhk74 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Thanks
What is your objective? Is it to fly BA (to get or keep status) or to get there for as little as possible? If your budget is limited then go on another airline to Asia (and use the savings to do a/some of the longer SH trips back to back to pick up TPs).

PS You might also try ITA Matrix to find a mixed carrier booking that would give you at least some OW TPs.
DiamondMile, becks1 and Adamhk74 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:07 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Try other airlines, check comparison sites like Momondo or Expedia.

If you travel regularly and a lot, the strategy of booking the cheapest fares irrespective of the airline can result in life changing savings - it can make the difference between retiring years earlier rather than having to work till you drop.

I always check sites like Expedia first and if the fare difference is significant then I'd go for it - this explains why I struggle to even get to Silver with BA this year but the massive savings accumulated over the years far outweigh any status benefits.
ENTP, becks1, BA or bust and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:17 am
Original Poster

I do prefer BA but any OW is fine, I can get finnair for about £1.9k so I’ll do that
Pre covid there was so many cities to choose from, I was just wondering if those days will ever return
i know people are making up for lost time and travelling more and flights are still not as frequent
just hoping the good old days to return
BA or bust and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
When demands for traveling are as strong as currently, you are unlikely to see pre-covid pricing.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 3:48 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Thanks
I bought last week BUD-HKG for 1600 EUR. But not with BA. Up to you to see if you prefer loyalty to a corporate brand over your money.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:19 am

When I go to Asia, it's usually via HKG with a change onto a Cathay flight.. BA have really pushed up the prices on routes to or through HKG since Covid, so I've been flying (ex-EU) on Cathay as I still want the tier points.

You don't get as many points, as you don't bounce in and out of London, but I much prefer them as an airline even though I'm paying more now than back in 2019.

My next flight will probably be in March - I only go once a year - and I may even move away from OW depending on prices, although Cathay are still looking OK to Taiwan.
dddc likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:37 am

I’ve recently booked a non-OW Asian carrier to Australia. Their J prices were so competitive that it became a no brainer.

My main reasons for J is the space and the flatbed seat. The food is a second and the entertainment is a third. So I will travel with that in mind and be happy that I saved around £2000 by not using BA or any of its OW partners, despite trying to make that a possibility.

I won’t make silver this year for the first time in a while. But I will live with it for the obvious cost savings.

And amazingly, this leaves from and returns to LHR. It was cheaper than ex-Eu when I factored in the cost and time getting to/from the EU city.
dddc, mikeyfly, OGG flyer and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
OW: We did LHR-HEL-ICN for £1,465 pp in May this year, AY J
Non-OW: We have LHR-AUH-BKK for £1,823 pp this month, EY J

Both with c.2 hr layovers
Radiation Station and Deckter like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
When I go to Asia, it's usually via HKG with a change onto a Cathay flight.. BA have really pushed up the prices on routes to or through HKG since Covid, so I've been flying (ex-EU) on Cathay as I still want the tier points.

You don't get as many points, as you don't bounce in and out of London, but I much prefer them as an airline even though I'm paying more now than back in 2019.

My next flight will probably be in March - I only go once a year - and I may even move away from OW depending on prices, although Cathay are still looking OK to Taiwan.
Very keen to go to Taiwan over the next 12-18M. Will check out the Cathay routings.
himang and adrianlondon like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure where you’re looking at going, but QR have competitive pricing from LGW now they’ve relaunched their service to DOH from there.

Got LGW-DOH-SIN-DOH-LGW all on QR metal for £2.1K in Feb, the week after Chinese New Year
Old Nov 4, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I booked FRA-DOH-HKG r/t in J for about 2400 a few weeks ago.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:18 am

I might be alone in this but QR, although being a good product, is essentially a pointless J product for me from EU to Asia. Neither flight is long enough to have a decent amount of sleep on and the flight from EU to DOH is almost not long enough to get settled before you're off again. As many have said, save the money and go with a *A carrier
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:00 am

I agree that the cost savings are worth more than any status. But it is still possible to get One World for a decent price. My next jaunt to Asia is on Royal Jordanian ex CAI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.