Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why does BA keep asking me to check-in hand luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does BA keep asking me to check-in hand luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Question Why does BA keep asking me to check-in hand luggage?

On my last 4 long-haul flights, BA have told me to check-in my hand luggage. But when checking- in and refusing to do so I've been given a "cabin guaranteed" luggage tag. Is this a new thing?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
BA believe they won't be able to fit all the cabin luggage in (often wrongly IMHO) so are effectively asking for volunteers to check luggage. If not enough people check their luggage they try to strong-arm people at the gate to volunteer, and eventually (allegedly) force some of the roll-aboards to be checked. I suspect "cabin guaranteed" means not very much - it might mean "not a roll-aboard".
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
They’ve never “told you”
SteveF, Arctic Troll and RichieMc like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GodAtum
On my last 4 long-haul flights, BA have told me to check-in my hand luggage. But when checking- in and refusing to do so I've been given a "cabin guaranteed" luggage tag. Is this a new thing?
Was this a Y only experience?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I hear the lectures for short-haul flights, about how this is a very full flight, and they strongly encourage people to gate check, because it is very full and there will not be space for all carry-ons. They drone on endlessly, only for the flight to have plenty of empty seats and even more available overhead space. They should really save the announcements for when the flight is truly full.
Xyzzy, Scotair, Greenpen and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:33 am

Either sitting in J or CE, I've never had anyone ask me to check my hand luggage and I've flown a lot - too much - this year. I do see and hear it happen, it's nearly always economy passengers, which is fair as there are many seats per row and limited overhead locker space above.

The problem started after the 2021-2022 press coverage where luggage was lost or delayed, people are now taking an increasing amount of luggage on board the plane. I've seen people in economy with huge rucksacks for example. Far bigger than anything I'd ever put above me in CE.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by chriswiles
The problem started after the 2021-2022 press coverage where luggage was lost or delayed, people are now taking an increasing amount of luggage on board the plane. I've seen people in economy with huge rucksacks for example. Far bigger than anything I'd ever put above me in CE.
This has been a fairly chunky problem since BA started charging for hold bags on the cheapest fares, though I agree it is worse post-pandemic (and those issues continue at places like MUC, where I waited an hour for bags on the belt in August).

I would bet there is a focus on it at the moment to drive up on time performance. I doubt it will help a great deal, on most flights passengers getting passengers on and seated isn’t the thing that causes delays.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
This has been a fairly chunky problem since BA started charging for hold bags on the cheapest fares, though I agree it is worse post-pandemic (and those issues continue at places like MUC, where I waited an hour for bags on the belt in August).

I would bet there is a focus on it at the moment to drive up on time performance. I doubt it will help a great deal, on most flights passengers getting passengers on and seated isn’t the thing that causes delays.
You’d think there would be focus on it. Yesterday I was at the gate at Gatwick far too early for a delayed flight due to the screens in the lounge saying ‘boarding’ when it wasn’t. Noting the vast amount of hand luggage being carried (generally hugely oversized first pieces or very large second pieces, plus shopping, suit carriers etc) I was pleased to see the gate staff wheel out the bag size gauge. They then just sat there chatting for half an hour until boarding started and didn’t use it, or stop anything being taken onboard at all. Several people in CE had bags so big they would only fit in the locker sideways taking up a lot of space. The flight was already late but the time taken for everyone to board and get seated would be reduced if there were not endless problems shuffling bags.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:28 am

There will be more people travelling HBO short-haul once the security scanners are updated to allow liquids through. Well, me for one.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Was this a Y only experience?
All 4 flights were in CW.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

What was the size of your cabin bags? How many bags did you plan to take on-board. If you are able to share these numbers, you'll receive a substantive reply to your question
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
What was the size of your cabin bags? How many bags did you plan to take on-board. If you are able to share these numbers, you'll receive a substantive reply to your question
BA didn't know what the size of my bags where but I had one roller carry-on.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Last week, on a red-eye from SEA to IAD AS did the usual begging for people to gate check their bags, eventually giving up. Pretty full flight.

After boarding, a FA came back up the aisle carrying an Instant Pot in the box, stating to the other attendant that they couldn't believe that the passenger managed to sneak it on.
(For reference, probably a 450 mm cube.)

All of this for the money-grab the industry has focused on with charging for checked luggage, sadly.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although you seem to think it was, I suspect the message you saw was not aimed at you personally.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 3:01 am

I wasn't aware that they asked business travellers in long-haul to check in hand luggage, as there never seems to be a shortage of space. Short-haul on the other hand ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.