Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA first, QR biz or SQ biz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:00 am
Original Poster

BA first, QR biz or SQ biz

Hi guys, I am trying to book a flight from JNB to JFK. I narrowed down to 3 airlines, BA first class, Qatar business class or Singapore Airlines business class. How would you pick based on the experience you had, especially BA first vs QR biz. I enjoy flying, so long flight time on SQ is not a problem for me.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
No hesitation for me, I’d pick BA First.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Likewise BA F

( both QR & SIN are very good J products but they are not F)

Regards

TBS
jmj9905 and simonsmith like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
"especially BA first vs QR biz"

Definitely BA F.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would all come down to flight timings. On the JFK-JNB you are likely to have a long long stopover in LHR. I’d be keen to avoid that and keep moving.

BA F will largely offer the most space and catering comparable to SQ and QR J.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’d “de-narrow” and fly ua j nonstop to ewr.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Would all come down to flight timings. On the JFK-JNB you are likely to have a long long stopover in LHR. I’d be keen to avoid that and keep moving.

BA F will largely offer the most space and catering comparable to SQ and QR J.
Not is you take the 0755 from JFK..?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
And yes BA F for me. Either way you’re going be spending quite a bit of your time horizontal and both QR and SQ J are narrower and your feet end up in a cubby hole. With BA F it’s a proper open suite with none of that cubby hole nonsense.

I sometimes do miss old CW after these short TATLs…
simonsmith likes this.

Last edited by Foofighter69; Oct 28, 2023 at 4:40 am
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
What's the price difference?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'd look at duration first. The route via Singapore is about 50% longer than via Heathrow, and still about 4000 miles longer than via Doha. I could see the avgeek interest in the SIN JFK flight, but I'd not be partial to that much of a detour.

Doha and London as stop over are about 1000 miles different, so connection time gets to be thing that probably gets important. Connection experience would also count for me, and connecting in Heathrow is certainly not amongst my favourites.

Price is also a factor.

So in short I'd rule out SQ pretty quickly, and then need far more details to choose between BA and QR. But service and experience wise, QR does come in with a head start in the race.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Recently the weights have shifted back to BA F. 8 seat cabin, improved service, improved food. If you were not looking for avios etc and just on experience if BA F was similar miles/money, Avios etc I wuld take that and enjoy it
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, KrisFlyer Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, Blah ~ Blah.. something more
If the price is similar, Singapore is not worth considering.

I like the q suite, but I don't think it's worth the same level as the first-class If there's no difference in price, I recommend the first class
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
From a service perspective, I would take QR. I recently flew LHR-JFK in F on BA and thought it was subpar. Whilst food quality on BA seems a bit better, crew has much to be desired compared to QR. However, with BA, you'll get access Chelsea and CCR so that could be worth something to you.

SQ is definitely out of the question given how much more time is required.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
BA daylight flight from JFK, couple of hours in the Concorde Room at Heathrow, overnight flight to Jo’burg. No brainier for me.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by gcuk
BA daylight flight from JFK, couple of hours in the Concorde Room at Heathrow, overnight flight to Jo’burg. No brainier for me.
+1

Would potentially consider the SIN option when travelling alone and purely from an Avgeek perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.