Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Welcome to your Private Jet flight to Naples

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…

On yesterday (27/10/2023) BA426 LHR to NAP, I was busy making few calls at the gate, did not really look around to see how busy it was, boarded almost first, sat down and got into the Pret sandwich we bought airside (was really starving), not paying much attention to some of the announcements but noticing that many seats around us were empty. At the end of the safety demo the captain announced “Welcome to this Private Jet flight to Naples”, at which point I turned around and confirmed that the plane was indeed almost empty, to a level I had not seen outside of the first few flight when covid restriction started being relaxed… I later learned from the IFL that it was indeed only 37 of us onboard…

Did anyone else experienced similarly sarcastic captain announcement on fairly empty flights?

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Oct 28, 2023 at 7:14 am
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The only announcements I recall on lightly loaded flights were to remain in your assigned seats until after takeoff due to weight & balance requirements. I flew BOI - SFO last weekend with AS and there were only 24 of us on board. One LAS - DFW flight I took during COVID had only 28 passengers.
marcopizzaiuolo and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:00 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
It happens.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1790...light-cockpit/
A pilot with the wit to make a joke about it probably also has the wherewithall to deal with an in flight emergency, so I'd just take it for what it is and laugh along.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
No sarky announcement, I believe it regularly goes with low loads, 24 pax total in a QR 777 ADL-MEL. Guess who was the only one in business 😁

Spike
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:17 pm

My father and grandmother once were the only passengers on a Boeing 767 (it was full on its return sector).
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
Had that a few times before

17 people on a domestic 767 from LHR > GLA. Then 32 people on a flight from ACE during the pandemic.

Not profitable for the airline, but lovely for the passenger
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I was a spotty faced youth a lot of the flights I took used to be very quiet. Hence why it came as a bit of shock when I first flew on a LHR flight and found it to be jam-packed!!
BA or bust likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:46 pm

Had a couple of those “private jet” type comments and one “welcome to the limited human cargo” when there were less than 10 passengers on transatlantic flights to LHR right after covid restrictions started lifting. I remember enjoying the laugh in those most absurd times.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Not BA, but there were only three of us on a Blue Islands JER-BRS flight in Covid. Ironically despite the social distancing of the time they made us sit near one another for weight reasons…
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just checked the in-flight photos from our row 1 trip on BA0001 to NYC in Feb 20 - last trip before Covid.

I don't remember any amusing comment from the pilot, but I suspect the closest I'll ever get to being on a private jet. Fewer than 10 of us.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Son flew to AMS from LGW last Saturday 0640am - plane less that 33% full.

In the 90s I flew T4 to Toronto with AC and there were probably 25 on board and the plane was huge.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
No sarky announcement, I believe it regularly goes with low loads, 24 pax total in a QR 777 ADL-MEL. Guess who was the only one in business 😁

Spike
It regularly does because you can't buy just the ADL-MEL sector because Qatar isn't allowed to sell domestic tickets. Furthermore, there is no benefit to getting the ADL-MEL-DOH flight. Interestingly timed comment as a video about it was just released:
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Similar private jet comment on a MAN-LHR shuttle with 14 people on it. Very late at night slot sitter.

Despite being almost empty, i was sat next to Kelly Brook!
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
When I was a spotty faced youth a lot of the flights I took used to be very quiet. Hence why it came as a bit of shock when I first flew on a LHR flight and found it to be jam-packed!!
Yes but the Wright Flyer only had room for one didn’t it?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Has happened to me a few times but the one I remember the most was a flight from CGK to DPS on a 747 with only 29 passangers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.