Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe : Run out of food! How can I ensure I get a meal ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Flew back from Lyon the other day in Club (nice lunge there by the way) pleasant crew and all good until mean service.

I was in row 5 of 6 was served last fine no probe. I thought prob won’t get first choice of meal - but was somewhat surprised to learn that they had run out of meals.

Had a bread roll (and another dropped completely accidentally) into my lap.

How often does BA get it that wrong in its catering calcs?

crew were mortified and apologetic - was a bit off really (albeit clearly decided it was my ‘lucky’ night to not get fed by serving me last)
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe someone purchased an Airport Upgrade in Lyon, and took a meal on board leaving them short? I’ve been in NCE a while back when a lady bought (at hideous cost) an upgrade into CE and was told she would not be getting a meal on board.
skipness1E and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:58 pm

Sounds like it was possibly the crew's fault. If there were op ups, late bookings or airport upgrades then those passengers shouldn't have been served until everyone else had their meals. Which is pretty awkward for the crew to maange! I was on a flight on Monday with 3 x op ups and I heard the crew discussing how obvious it was that there the flight would go out completely full (which I could have told you from expertflyer) so they didn't understand why they hadn't been fully catered.

Or perhaps there was a genuine error with the food loading but they should also have noticed this.

Pop in a complaint and you'll get a decent slug of Avios - at least it was a short flight!
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by lizban
Flew back from Lyon the other day in Club (nice lunge there by the way) pleasant crew and all good until mean service.

I was in row 5 of 6 was served last fine no probe. I thought prob won’t get first choice of meal - but was somewhat surprised to learn that they had run out of meals.

Had a bread roll (and another dropped completely accidentally) into my lap.

How often does BA get it that wrong in its catering calcs?

crew were mortified and apologetic - was a bit off really (albeit clearly decided it was my ‘lucky’ night to not get fed by serving me last)
I had this on a flight to Santorini in July, apparently they don't carry enough food on short haul flight, i was sitting in row 11 so all the rows in front took all the food.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There definitely should be sufficient meals for everyone booked on. It’s not routine to short cater for those booked on. All short hail is catered from base (LHR/LGW/LCY), so nothing is loaded down route.

The exceptions would be potentially for opups either on the outbound and return, or those who bought last minute airport upgrades especially on the return. The process if there aren’t enough for all include the upgrades should be to serve them last - it’s entirely fair that opups only get a meal if there are some left, and I say that having been opup’ed myself occasionally.
jmd, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ams_sxi
I had this on a flight to Santorini in July, apparently they don't carry enough food on short haul flight, i was sitting in row 11 so all the rows in front took all the food.
Assuming you were not given a free operational upgrade, this shouldn’t happen. If you haven’t already done so, please submit a complaint.
orbitmic, bafan and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by ams_sxi
I don’t think this is accurate. As far as I know they should have enough food for all CE passengers.
orbitmic, bafan and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From what I can gather, the communication onus is on the ground agents, to point out to the SCCM that there is an AUP passenger on board. And when sold the AUP passenger is told they may not get a meal before they part with their money. Usually someone doesn't want to eat so in fact mostly AUPs are able to get a meal, and from LON airports they can adjust catering upwards for AUPs sold in LON. You sometimes see the dispatcher walking them into the galley. I gather that the communication from ground agent to SCCM doesn't always happen.

Other things that can happen: undetected self-upgrader (I've seen this happen and them then getting a public reprimand from the IFL); and on small CE cabins, the trays may not fill the trolley and the last tray then slides down the back accidentally.

But BA's policy is to have a tray per CE customer, even on flights such as the overnight AGP-LGW service when very few people want to eat at 3 am.
jmd, flygirl68, KARFA and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
This is definitely partly a crew error, the meals should have been counted and the SCCM should have realised that they were short, it shouldn’t have been that they ran out in the cabin. They should have liaised with the ground staff and identified who if any customers who would be refused.
jmd, flygirl68, Blenheim and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:49 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Would a reasonable remedy in this situation be to buy some food from the BoB menu, and send the bill to BA, rather than wait for some Avios to be credited further down the line?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Would a reasonable remedy in this situation be to buy some food from the BoB menu, and send the bill to BA, rather than wait for some Avios to be credited further down the line?
Yes, this has happened in the past and BA have refunded the cost.
ScruttonStreet and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:00 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
An upgrade shouldn't be sold if there are no meals for everyone in Business. End of!
simoflyer, skipness1E and ams_sxi like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It can be done but the customer should be informed of this before purchasing and the crew should be informed of this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:04 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Assuming you were not given a free operational upgrade, this shouldn’t happen. If you haven’t already done so, please submit a complaint.
Agreed, it's irritating enough on a short flight but on a 4 hour trip to JTR that's just plain unacceptable.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Did you get something offered from the BOB cart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.