Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge conundrum - two guests

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Lounge conundrum - two guests

In early January my daughter and I will be flying back to the US from Gatwick in Y; a close friend will now also be joining us on that trip. I'm OWE, so usual drill would have been to go to the F lounge....but two guests is a no-no. I'd like for my very rarely flying friend to experience the lounge but obviously, I'd not leave my daughter out. Options I can think of:

1: Give my friend my boarding pass and he can go in with my daughter pretending to be me (while I take one for the team and mooch round the terminal); she can show him the ropes having been in many times previously. I know its not really cricket, but I've never been asked for any further ID in when the pass grants access, and he's hardly likely to drink the bar dry and go on a gremlins style rampage so can't see it being a biggie.
2: See if I could find a kindly lounge-goer would guest my friend in....although I know that's also a bit cheeky.
3. Guest my friend in then come back out and walk round terminal with teenage lounge-loving daughter (and thus incur her wrath lol).

What would you all do?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I’d go in the Lounge with my daughter and let him go to the Gate. I thoroughly disapprove of « guesting » by strangers and so does British Airways. There is a Facebook blog where they are always cadging Lounge entry. I do not belong but a friend has shown me this. It is my understanding that anyone caught guesting people that they do not know are subject to sanctions as there has been trouble in the past. I think that you will find that the very geography of the FLounge at Gatwick would make guesting in and leaving could be done but be aware. That you are responsible for him all the time that he is there. Asking at the door is an embarrassment for Lounge Staff in my view.

There is an alternative and that is for nobody to go to the Lounge at all. I am sorry to sound so negative but whilst you are entitled to go in with a guest I’m afraid that it definitely it is a situation where two’s company three’s a crowd.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Oct 18, 2023 at 10:57 am
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you're really keen to all get in you could see if anyone else will be travelling on the same day through https://ba97.com/calendar.asp and is open to guesting one of your party in.
eqeqeqx likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Yeah I'd either not split the party and all mooch around the terminal, or head to the lounge with the daughter.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:58 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As a OWE, given AA's attitude to fraud (e.g. their persuance of hidden city itineraries) ... well, let's just say I probably wouldn't be chancing option 1. Whilst it's pretty unlikely BA would question your ID and then pass that information to AA, I'm not sure it's worth it over a single favour for a friend.

Whilst technically your guest should leave with you, if you trusted them then option 3 carries essentially zero risk.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
What age is the teenage daughter?

I’ve had similar in the past when travelling with my son and wife, and my wife has always been happy if I take my GC and my son to the lounge, and she takes the BA Amex off to Chanel and Jo Malone.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I’d go in the Lounge with my daughter and let him go to the Gate. I thoroughly disapprove of « guesting » by strangers and so does British Airways. There is a Facebook blog where they are always cadging Lounge entry. I do not belong but a friend has shown me this. It is my understanding that anyone caught guesting people that they do not know are subject to sanctions as there has been trouble in the past.

There is an alternative and that is for nobody to go to the Lounge at all.
I agree, I think any friend would understand that daughter takes priority, and many people would be mortified at the idea of weird gymnastics to try and cheat the entry rules or beg for them. Alternatively, just invite both for a drink in one of the many cafes in the terminal or if you are desperate for a lounge buy No1 lounge entry for all three of you in advance.
PUCCI GALORE and oceanscape like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR-HUB
What age is the teenage daughter?

I’ve had similar in the past when travelling with my son and wife, and my wife has always been happy if I take my GC and my son to the lounge, and she takes the BA Amex off to Chanel and Jo Malone.
That actually may be the way....she's always loved the lounges but now 17, she might well be persuaded by the Amex and shopping
LCSinTexas, becks1 and mnhusker like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I agree, I think any friend would understand that daughter takes priority, and many people would be mortified at the idea of weird gymnastics to try and cheat the entry rules or beg for them. Alternatively, just invite both for a drink in one of the many cafes in the terminal or if you are desperate for a lounge buy No1 lounge entry for all three of you in advance.
Not that desperate!
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I’d go in the Lounge with my daughter and let him go to the Gate. I thoroughly disapprove of « guesting » by strangers and so does British Airways. There is a Facebook blog where they are always cadging Lounge entry. I do not belong but a friend has shown me this. It is my understanding that anyone caught guesting people that they do not know are subject to sanctions as there has been trouble in the past. I think that you will find that the very geography of the FLounge at Gatwick would make guesting in and leaving could be done but be aware. That you are responsible for him all the time that he is there. Asking at the door is an embarrassment for Lounge Staff in my view.

There is an alternative and that is for nobody to go to the Lounge at all. I am sorry to sound so negative but whilst you are entitled to go in with a guest I’m afraid that it definitely it is a situation where two’s company three’s a crowd.
Fair enough. Yeah, I've heard of FB groups etc....not interested in them. This is just a one off circumstance. Shame BA doesn't have the QR style lounge passes; they would be ideal for this situation (although would not apply either in this case being as my access comes via AA).
PUCCI GALORE and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Kwanger
Fair enough. Yeah, I've heard of FB groups etc....not interested in them. This is just a one off circumstance. Shame BA doesn't have the QR style lounge passes; they would be ideal for this situation (although would not apply either in this case being as my access comes via AA).
My Dear - may they never do this. The Lounges are heaving with people as it is.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by Kwanger
That actually may be the way....she's always loved the lounges but now 17, she might well be persuaded by the Amex and shopping
That may be the most expensive lounge access ever experienced!
Kwanger, orbitmic, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Originally Posted by JapesUK
That may be the most expensive lounge access ever experienced!
Think of the avios!
Kwanger likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:40 am

It’s never an easy one, but I have a few friends I regularly travel with and my policy, if travelling as a three, is always to take the person who hasn’t been before through the first wing to experience it and grab a quick champagne. Usually as travelling in Europe, we liberate a beer each for the flight (and one for the third man), plus make them G&T in a coffee cup as a consolation prize and then join them at spoons.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Joshm300
It’s never an easy one, but I have a few friends I regularly travel with and my policy, if travelling as a three, is always to take the person who hasn’t been before through the first wing to experience it and grab a quick champagne. Usually as travelling in Europe, we liberate a beer each for the flight (and one for the third man), plus make them G&T in a coffee cup as a consolation prize and then join them at spoons.
Now this is travelling in style. I like your thinking 👍

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.