Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Connections - How to get through quickly and easily?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Connections - How to get through quickly and easily?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Lft Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Question LHR Connections - How to get through quickly and easily?

Our last three flights on BA with a connection through LHR has been a nightmare, so I'm asking for suggestions to make it less painful with an upcoming connection in November.

We are seemed to be stuck on the USA TSA rule of 3 ounces or less in your carryon and you are fine. Our last connection through LHR was just terrible. We were flying business class and it still took us over two hours to get through the security checkpoint because we had liquids in our carryon luggage.

My questions are:

1. Do ALL liquids have to be removed even if small quantities like 15ml ophthalmic drops?
2. If ALL liquids have to be removed from carryon luggage, does each item have to be placed into its own small plastic bag?
3. Does an item like toothpaste which is not a liquid have to be placed in a small plastic bag? How large can a tube of toothpaste be to be carried in your carryon luggage?
4. If flying Business Class from the US and connecting through LHR, is there an expedited line that we can utilize?
5. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated

TIA
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by lc412000
Our last three flights on BA with a connection through LHR has been a nightmare, so I'm asking for suggestions to make it less painful with an upcoming connection in November.

We are seemed to be stuck on the USA TSA rule of 3 ounces or less in your carryon and you are fine. Our last connection through LHR was just terrible. We were flying business class and it still took us over two hours to get through the security checkpoint because we had liquids in our carryon luggage.

My questions are:

1. Do ALL liquids have to be removed even if small quantities like 15ml ophthalmic drops?
2. If ALL liquids have to be removed from carryon luggage, does each item have to be placed into its own small plastic bag?
3. Does an item like toothpaste which is not a liquid have to be placed in a small plastic bag? How large can a tube of toothpaste be to be carried in your carryon luggage?
4. If flying Business Class from the US and connecting through LHR, is there an expedited line that we can utilize?

TIA
Hi,

I can answer a few of these:

1. yes
2. Yes, all liquids, pastes, sprays etc need to be removed and everything needs to fit in a single 1L sealable clear bag that they hand out everywhere
3. Yes, pastes come under this rule, 100ml maximum container size… note - container size - a 200ml bottle of perfume, half used, will fail this test and be disposed of at security.
4. No idea
5. Be prepared! Everything off your person and into coat or bag pockets before you reach the trays, follow the rules to the letter, laptops and ipads out, nothing on person, use plenty of trays and space things out, if in doubt, pull it out - hair straighteners, battery packs, etc. I’m passing through airport security about four times a week at present, generally two of those at LHR, and the only thing that slows me down is that the mass scanners hate me.

From LHR site

The following restrictions apply to all liquids, creams, gels, pastes and aerosols taken through security control:
  • Liquids may only be carried in containers holding 100ml or less.
  • They must be carried separately in a single bag which is:
    • Transparent and resealable
    • No larger than 20cm x 20cm (8in x 8in)
    • Able to close properly with all the items inside.
  • At security control, place the bag in the tray with your other items.
  • Liquids in containers over 100ml will not be permitted through security – please pack them in your hold baggage instead.
becks1, SxMan and lc412000 like this.

Last edited by JapesUK; Oct 16, 2023 at 8:48 pm
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:43 pm

Can confirm, LHR security was the most obnoxiously strict of the many airports I’ve traveled through this year (including in the US, EU, non-EU Europe, Southeast Asia, Oceania). They threw out my mostly empty 113 ml tube of toothpaste, and made me unpack the whole bag because I forgot that weeks ago at the beginning of the trip I placed a small bottle with liquid in it.

if it’s important to make it quick, pre-pack your liquids ahead of time so they are easy to remove.
nancypants, JapesUK and lc412000 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:20 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I went through yesterday in LHR T3.

Had the liquids out as requested, but they didn't get a second look other than the X Ray.

My impression was that there was less attention paid to them than in years past. Having said that, they are pretty strict compared to anywhere else I've been.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GGL

My questions are:

TIA
With respect, after three slow experiences one would have thought that you'd appreciate that British (and European) security requires ALL liquids, and other items considered equivalent (such as creams, gels, pastes etc.), to be removed and put into a sealed bag ​​

Is the rule a form of stupid security theatre (that isn't necessary at airports that have bothered to invest in more modern CT scanners)? Yes.

Are you making a rod for your own back by not following it? Also yes! The two hour queues you complain of are not helped by travellers who can't follow the simple and clearly signed rules...

1) Yes. Doesn't matter how small it is - if it's a liquid, cream, gel or paste, it can't be more than 100ml, it needs to be removed, and you have to put in a clear plastic bag no more than 1L in size. Plastic bags are provided at security if you don't have your own.

2) No, you're only allowed one 1L liquids bag per person. You'll have to dispose of (or check in) any liquids above 100ml, or that you can't fit into the bag (it has to be able to seal shut).
​​​​
3) Toothpaste is a paste and so comes under the liquids rule. It must be ≤100ml, removed and put in your liquids bag. Any toothpaste of any size counts (yes, even the tiny ones that you get in amenity kits).

4) Sometimes there is a Fast Track lane in operation - it depends on the time of day. Assuming your connecting flight is also from Terminal 5, it may be quicker to go landside. To do this, follow signs for Arrivals, go through passport control (if a US passport holder you can use the e-gates to pass through in seconds, no need to speak to an officer) and customs, then go up to the Departures level on floor 5 and use the Fast Track lanes located at both of the main security checkpoints.

However, bear in mind that if you are on a tight connection, you must scan your boarding pass at the start of the landside security queue at least 35 minutes before the scheduled departure time of your connecting flight - otherwise you will be refused entry. The boarding pass scan at connections is sometimes a bit more lenient than 35 minutes, particularly if your connecting flight is from a nearby gate (an A gate if you've arrived at an A gate for example). So in this narrow window you may actually be better off staying airside and asking staff if you can go to the front of the queue as your flight is leaving soon (the gate can close 20 minutes before departure).
​​​​
5) To pass through UK/European security as quickly as possible, follow all the instructions shown on the signage and given by the staff. Remove all large electrical items (laptops, iPads, hair dryers etc.) and liquids (of any size, including gels, creams and pastes as above) from your luggage. Make sure your pockets are empty and your belt (if you wear one) is removed. Put your jackets into the tray, as well as your jumper/top if it's particularly thick.

Once you get the hang of it, you should be through much more quickly. At least you don't have to (routinely) take off your shoes like with TSA security!

Last edited by flarmip; Oct 17, 2023 at 12:26 am
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by martzipan
Can confirm, LHR security was the most obnoxiously strict of the many airports I’ve traveled through this year (including in the US, EU, non-EU Europe, Southeast Asia, Oceania). They threw out my mostly empty 113 ml tube of toothpaste, and made me unpack the whole bag because I forgot that weeks ago at the beginning of the trip I placed a small bottle with liquid in it.

if it’s important to make it quick, pre-pack your liquids ahead of time so they are easy to remove.
Obnoxiously strict? AKA doing their job correctly.

We don’t have to agree with the rules, but it’s our responsibility to follow them.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

We don’t have to agree with the rules, but it’s our responsibility to follow them.
Evidently @martzipan hasn't suffered the horrors of MAN (particularly T3) if they think LHR is "obnoxiously strict"
​​
Tim_T, Bogwoppit, strowger and 9 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

yes, lesson is follow the rules and you should avoid a secondary
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Maybe I’m an outlier but I’ve generally the found that most obnoxious, offensive and megalomaniac people in the world all wear TSA badges.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you travel with checked luggage, place most of your liquids there, taking only essential toiletries you need to access on the flight in your carryon. If you travel hand baggage only, be ruthless about what you truly need to take versus what can be bought at your destination.

I’m still surprised at the number of (I’m sorry to say mostly Americans) who are pulled aside at security with what seems like the entire contents of Boots/CVS in their luggage, and proceed to try to litigate an exemption for each one individually with the security staff. That only slows down the process for them and everyone else behind them. If you are pulled over for secondary inspection, don't fight for exemption to the clearly posted rules.

Place your single liquids bag flat in a tray with nothing on top of or under it. Same for any electronics — phone, iPad, laptops, etc.

Remember any liquids you acquire on the journey e.g. business class amenity kits will also need to be discarded or put within your liquids bag.
EuropeanPete, skiaplg, :D! and 1 others like this.

Last edited by GM1985; Oct 17, 2023 at 4:39 am
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Liquid bag rule is also the rule in the USA, it's just the TSA and related agencies have long stopped enforcing it, and overtly say it's ok for the bag to be in cabin baggage. It should be pointed out that separating out risk items will allow a faster scan of baggage - the Global Entry approach is quicker for the passenger, slower for the TSA. Just think, when packing, "is this set of wires and liquid cannisters going to look baaad when scanned?".

This is - in theory - a short term problem in the UK until the CT scanners get rolled out allegedly June 2024, and other airports in the UK are rolling them out. Airports on CT scanners won't have any significant rules on liquids or their placement. Most European countries are also rolling them out but they are probably a year or so more away from getting rid of legacy systems and liquid rules, AMS being there already. LHR has them and at T5 you may encounter the CT scanners in Flight Connections. USA isn't going much faster, I noticed precisely 1 CT scanner in JFK T8, and it's kaput.

Best tip: Allow connections that should give you a clear 80 minutes plus until your next flight, then go via landside, particularly if you are Gold / AA Emerald (etc) so that you can go via the First Wing. On a consistency basis, I find it is the best security experience of any large airport anywhere in the world. If security hassles you, consider transferring at smaller airports instead, such as SNN or GLA.
goldengate, :D! and Delboy65 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
because I forgot that weeks ago at the beginning of the trip I placed a small bottle with liquid in it.
Would the security staff's telepathic abilities be able to recall anything else you forgot?
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Best tip: Allow connections that should give you a clear 80 minutes plus until your next flight, then go via landside, particularly if you are Gold / AA Emerald (etc) so that you can go via the First Wing.
Thank you C-W-S.. Will transiting from MAD to GIG in a few weeks time and now planning on using this tactic
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: QF WP
Some observations from my recent LHR transit (I haven’t been to Europe since 2019)
- yes all liquids, even contact lenses with about 1ml of juice in each
-stick deodorant is apparently no longer a liquid gel or paste
-amenity kits seem to be off limits
-they didn’t like my nice Australian reusable clear plastic bag so I had to replace with a Heathrow issue one
JapesUK and lc412000 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I can only echo the advice above: be prepared, none of this is new, and remember that you can always buy stuff at your destination. On a recent trip to the UK it suddenly dawned on me that I'd completely forgotten to pack my liquids bag. After initially berating myself for being such an idiot it was actually quite a liberating feeling. I just stocked up at Boots at LHR and got myself what I needed there. For things like shower gel etc. it's often cheaper to buy the regular size rather than the travel size. Equally most hotels will provide shampoo and shower gel in the room, and will happily supply a toothbrush and toothpaste if you have forgotten those. And don't forget to tune in at the same time next week for more top travel tips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.