Wiki Posts
Search

Using T3 lounge from T5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Using T3 lounge from T5

I have a long wait in T5 in a few weeks and think I seen someone mention in another post that there is a round about way to get to T3 and use the lounges. Ofcourse now I can’t find the post.

I didn’t think it was possible, but would be interested if it was.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this thread:
Switching terminals in LHR for lounge use
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

corporate-wage-slave has some direct and very sage advice about this which I'd echo as would many others. It's really not worth the hassle. See post 3.

T3 Access with T5 boarding pass

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31482008-post3.html
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PETER01
corporate-wage-slave has some direct and very sage advice about this which I'd echo as would many others. It's really not worth the hassle. See post 3.

T3 Access with T5 boarding pass

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31482008-post3.html
exactly. Long wait? Go enjoy a day room in a hotel nearby, central London, Windsor or whatever. Not long enough to do that? Then stay in your t5 lounge.
becks1, oceanscape and PETER01 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Each to their own. Not for me.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: QR Platinum, HH Diamond, FB Gold
I’ve visited T3 many times with a T5 boarding pass while transiting and don’t mind a good adventurous walk around the airport. I find it worth it, but to each their own.

It takes me around 25 - 40 minutes usually to make the switch from T3 lounge to T5 terminal. Just make sure you add some extra time especially if it is your first time doing it.
EDDLEGLL and 40degreeswest like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by TKFrequentFlyer
I’ve visited T3 many times with a T5 boarding pass while transiting and don’t mind a good adventurous walk around the airport. I find it worth it, but to each their own.
Perplexes me why people like to spend so long in an airport. It's one of the worst parts of travel for me. Almost every visit over the last 6 months has been to a very busy lounge (T5B aside), extremely busy LHR and often overly warm and unpleasant. Unless you're an unhealthy heavy drinker and likes the idea of the free drink in a lounge, there's very few reasons to be in there.

If I had spare time I'd be onto the Elizabeth Line. In under 20 minutes you'd be in Ealing. A little further, Paddington. Even Bond Street is fairly accessible.
subject2load likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: QR Platinum, HH Diamond, FB Gold
Because I love airplanes and airports. Some people hate it, others love it. I book long lay-overs on purpose at Heathrow just to experience some nice T3 lounges. The Qantas lounge is lovely, especially because I've got to know some of the people working at the lounge. And no I don't even drink a single drop.

Somehow everyone calls Heathrow busy, but in my experience it is pretty relaxed if you have First Wing access and just transit at Heathrow. I avoid BA's Gold lounge or Business lounges every single time. You just have to know some golden spots at Heathrow and it can almost be a magical experience
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Poster

I love airports and everything about them (except queues)

I was discussing this with someone recently and came to the conclusion, even if I could afford to, I wouldn't fly private.

I don't drink alcohol at all really, so always appreciate a decent food offering.
ScottishTX likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:01 am
Original Poster

This is my thinking. I was originally due to fly with the family on an early morning LHR-DUB, but will not be starting a MR on QR from T4. My wife would appreciate the support of getting the kids to LHR so I planned to go with them until the board then head to T4 for the afternoon flight to DOH. However there's quite a bit of time inbetween and I've only managed to get into T3 once in the last 3 years, so if it's possible I'm considering going to T3 for a couple of hours, then make my back to flight connections to get to T4.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by TKFrequentFlyer
Because I love airplanes and airports. Some people hate it, others love it. I book long lay-overs on purpose at Heathrow just to experience some nice T3 lounges. The Qantas lounge is lovely, especially because I've got to know some of the people working at the lounge. And no I don't even drink a single drop.

Somehow everyone calls Heathrow busy, but in my experience it is pretty relaxed if you have First Wing access and just transit at Heathrow. I avoid BA's Gold lounge or Business lounges every single time. You just have to know some golden spots at Heathrow and it can almost be a magical experience
Taking lounges out of the equation, would you still book long layovers, or arrive to the airports hours in advance?

I love flying (200,000+ miles/year), but have no desire to be at the airport, so I try to spend the least amount of time possible. Someone had posted in another thread, "I come to airport to leave the airport", or something to that effect.
GeorgeGheal1 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Perplexes me why people like to spend so long in an airport. It's one of the worst parts of travel for me. Almost every visit over the last 6 months has been to a very busy lounge (T5B aside), extremely busy LHR and often overly warm and unpleasant. Unless you're an unhealthy heavy drinker and likes the idea of the free drink in a lounge, there's very few reasons to be in there.

If I had spare time I'd be onto the Elizabeth Line. In under 20 minutes you'd be in Ealing. A little further, Paddington. Even Bond Street is fairly accessible.
Ah lovely an afternoon in Ealing!
DXB2745, NickB, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Schwann
Ah lovely an afternoon in Ealing!
I've lived in Ealing all my life - please tell me more!
:D! and Howard Long like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:42 am

To bring up this topic again…is there an official written rule which terminal you visit other than your departure terminal on the day of departure.
The question if you can use T3 lounges while departing from T5 has come up several times, but to broaden the subject, how about these scenarios:
Holding a BP for a flight from T2 or T4 but want to use the Amex lounge at T3. Would you be able to enter T3?
Or how about holding an OW F or J BP from T3 or T5 but you wish to visit the Qatar lounge at T4? Would they let you in?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is allowed to visit other terminals other than the one of your departure, indeed HAL even facilitates this if you are going shopping for something expensive. At one stage HAL advertised lounges in other terminals. The issues are three fold: Terminal 5 has Ready to Fly which can't be used by those incoming to T5 and makes life difficult for those wanting to temporarily leave T5; the boarding pass scanners at other terminals will say "no", and therefore HAL agent's first thought is to direct people to their correct terminal; plus frankly when security and coach resources are under pressure, having joy-rides around Heathrow, tying down these resources unnecessarily doesn't tend to go down well with agents working excess hours. Given that all LHR terminals have reasonable lounge facilities, I have some sympathy with that view.
scottishpoet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.