Wiki Posts
Search

BA livery refresh - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:36 am
Original Poster

BA livery refresh - Thoughts?

https://simpleflying.com/british-airways-livery-evolution-step-by-step-guide/

The article above goes through past and current BA liveries and suggests a new one could be on the horizon. The current livery has been flying around 26 years, however I still feel like it looks modern and stylish. If they rebrand I feel they would go in the ‘euro-white’ schemes adopted by other IAG family members.

Any thoughts?
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are 101 other things that need fixing before a new livery.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Which means they'll probably do it...
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Agree, catering. Today GLA and DUB flights later have been sent text saying no catering will be on board. Poor
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
In 2019, the airline celebrated its centenary year (tracing back through its predecessors) and re-introduced the BA coat of arms in pale silver alongside the fuselage titles.
That's wrong, but can anyone remember when the coat of arms returned to the BA livery? I think around 2012, possibly just after the bmi takeover.

As for updating the livery I don't think it needs an update, it's still nice seeing all the BA aircraft lined up at T5
skipness1E likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, ALL, IHG, Hilton H
Saw this one at Heathrow a few weeks ago

crazy8534 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
Originally Posted by Ticket Fairy
Saw this one at Heathrow a few weeks ago
That's just to keep Greta happy. If you fly on that you're helping save the planet or something.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by saveecrewards
that's just to keep greta happy. If you fly on that you're helping save the planet or something.
😅😅
halls120, Shingi, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Agree, catering. Today GLA and DUB flights later have been sent text saying no catering will be on board. Poor
If there had been catering it would need its own thread and need improving!
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:48 am

I can't think of many airlines in recent decades that have refreshed their livery in a way that improves upon what it replaced. Possibly American, as I think their current livery is quite smart, their former livery was distinctive with that brushed metal look - though was a bit long in the tooth.

Most airline liveries launched in recent years seem to be an identikit solid colour tail with swooshy thing going down the fuselage, insert color HERE and add logo HERE, job done. FWIW I think the BA livery has aged well and is smart and distinctive.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
A 777-200 in Landor wouldn’t go a miss
shefgab, Genius1, mrow and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:57 am

I don't think I realised before that they didn't capitalise the A in 'Airways' originally. Horrific.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by GM1985
I can't think of many airlines in recent decades that have refreshed their livery in a way that improves upon what it replaced. Possibly American, as I think their current livery is quite smart, their former livery was distinctive with that brushed metal look - though was a bit long in the tooth.

Most airline liveries launched in recent years seem to be an identikit solid colour tail with swooshy thing going down the fuselage, insert color HERE and add logo HERE, job done. FWIW I think the BA livery has aged well and is smart and distinctive.
I much prefer the new Iberia logo. That was a few years ago admittedly.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
I agree BUT having worked in Corporate Bollocks-land for too long, a brand refresh comes out of a different budget and gives the opportunity to refresh a tired business. Lord King did exactly this even though the 1973 BA branding was barely ten years old. Iberia did this to signify turning a corner in a restructure, as did American, and more recently United. There will be a lot of people in Waterworld looking to leave Accenture Alex and Willie Walsh far behind and to move forward, and the classic way of doing this is "A new BA fit for tomorrow" de blah de blah.

I'd be surprised if feelers hadn't already gone out, the current livery is 26 years old now, and only us geeks would quibble on a new shades of brilliant white, the size and position of the flag on the tail and the old style crest being added.

Originally Posted by SaveECRewards
That's wrong, but can anyone remember when the coat of arms returned to the BA livery? I think around 2012, possibly just after the bmi takeover.
Coat of arms : G-BNLU B747-400 from Sep-2011
Off white to brilliant white colours : G-EUYO A320-232 delivery in Jun-2013.

Originally Posted by richiejv
I don't think I realised before that they didn't capitalise the A in 'Airways' originally. Horrific.
The 1973 titles were intended to be vertically stacked for branding as :

"British
airways"

Hence an upper case 'A' wouldn't have worked in that specific case.
This worked fine almost everywhere except on the aircraft where it wasn't stacked on the main titles, only by the doors and on board.

Last edited by skipness1E; Oct 12, 2023 at 8:24 am
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
< delete me >

Last edited by skipness1E; Oct 12, 2023 at 8:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.