Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 125- ticket with two additional numbers - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Just spotted a thing I've not seen before.
Usual BA ticket = 125-********** (i.e. 10 numbers).
I have one that = 125-**********-** (i.e. 10 plus two numbers).
Just wondering why this might be?
​​​​​​One passenger, complex booking (but all BA & AA), adjusted following a schedule change.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Just spotted a thing I've not seen before.
Usual BA ticket = 125-********** (i.e. 10 numbers).
I have one that = 125-**********-** (i.e. 10 plus two numbers).
Just wondering why this might be?
​​​​​​One passenger, complex booking (but all BA & AA), adjusted following a schedule change.
For a complex itinerary, it is possible that multiple continuous tickets are issued at the same time under a single PNR. Usually you just need the first ticket number and the system should be able to call out the rest of it, nothing to worry about. Exact ticket number may be visible in the BA app and that could imply how the booking team split your itinerary from ticketing perspective. I have had a few bookings where 3 continuous tickets are initially issued.

If the ticket number are not continuous, then they are likely to be issued due to ticket reissuance following schedule changes or itinerary changes after initial booking. In any cases, as long as you see ticket number bound onto each segment you will be fine.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How many flights total?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Four segments per ticket I think- more than that and you get a sequential ticket displayed as *01-02 etc.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You have to think back to the days of paper tickets, and what you would do if you had a lot of sectors, but then you changed a few (or had them changed by AA). The answer is that additional coupon booklets get stapled behind the first ticket, with sequential numbering for the following booklets and perhaps an out of sync number for changes. Each coupon could have between 2 and 4 sectors on it (some airlines internally had 6) and anything more complicated than NCL-LHR-AMS would need a second coupon. This explains lots of things, including the one year expiry on tickets: the date here is redacted (lets say it was 1 January 2002), but it's in one place, each line has a reduced date format, which only makes sense in relation to the big date box. If one sector was 2 years later in 2004 there would be no way to indicate that. Note the fare.

Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
How many flights total?
Three out, three back, six in total.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Some generally interesting information in the replies, thanks for the info and knowledge!
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Three out, three back, six in total.
​​​​​​
So it’s definitely a conjunction ticket. BA sticks with the standard IATA model of 4 coupons per ticket, so if you have more (can be up to 16) then you need more than one document. Note than an open jaw/surface sector also requires a coupon, even though nothing will be issued against it.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Confus
So it’s definitely a conjunction ticket. BA sticks with the standard IATA model of 4 coupons per ticket, so if you have more (can be up to 16) then you need more than one document. Note than an open jaw/surface sector also requires a coupon, even though nothing will be issued against it.
Ive seen plenty of round the world tickets issued with far more than 4 coupons.
In this case it will be because either the outbound or inbound flights (whichever was disrupted) was reissued separately.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
So it’s definitely a conjunction ticket. BA sticks with the standard IATA model of 4 coupons per ticket, so if you have more (can be up to 16) then you need more than one document [number]. Note than an open jaw/surface sector also requires a coupon, even though nothing will be issued against it.
Originally Posted by Anonba
I've seen plenty of round the world tickets issued with far more than 4 coupons.
They were just meaning that coupons 5-16 require conjunction ticket numbers. On my replica etkt below with 6 coupons, E1-4 are on tkt /890 while E5-6 are /891, or at least would have been on paper tickets. In Apollo, this same etkt would display with coupon numbers 1 2 3 4 1 2, instead of 1 2 3 4 5 6.

Code:
TKT-1251234567890-891    RCI-                     1A  LOC-XXXXXX
  OD-NYCMIA SI-      FCMI-0   POI-NYC  DOI-15NOV14  IOI-33991134
    1.JAXBA/MR                ADT         ST
  1 OJFK BA8006EC U 01DEC2130 OK JID00S1    O        31MAR 2PC
  2 XORY BA 335   U 02DEC1430 OK JID00S1    O        31MAR 2PC
  3 XLHR BA 247   U 02DEC2145 OK JID00S1    O        31MAR 2PC
  4 OGRU   ARNK
  5 OJNB BA  56   U 05DEC2045 OK JID00S1    O        31MAR 2PC
  6 XLHR BA 207   U 06DEC1000 OK JID00S1    O        31MAR 2PC
     MIA
 FARE   F USD         0.00
 TOTALTAX USD       318.33
 TOTAL    USD       318.33
 /FC NYC BA X/PAR BA X/LON BA SAO.00 /- JNB BA X/LON BA MIA0.00
 NUC0.00END ROE1.000000
 FE NONEND
 FP CCVI
 FREQUENT FLYER BA-XXXXXXXX
 FOR TAX DETAILS USE TWD/TAX
(Yes, I really flew this in 2014. Great fun!)
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:52 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JAXBA
They were just meaning that coupons 5-16 require conjunction ticket numbers. On my replica etkt below with 6 coupons, E1-4 are on tkt /890 while E5-6 are /891, or at least would have been on paper tickets. In Apollo, this same etkt would display with coupon numbers 1 2 3 4 1 2, instead of 1 2 3 4 5 6.
That makes perfect sense now. I was wondering why all my 8 segments had -54 at the end of their ticket number. It's because the first ticket ends with xxxx53. So 125-xxxxxxxx53-54 means the tickets are all on two 'coupons'.

Every day is a school day...
JAXBA likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
That makes perfect sense now. I was wondering why all my 8 segments had -54 at the end of their ticket number. It's because the first ticket ends with xxxx53. So 125-xxxxxxxx53-54 means the tickets are all on two 'coupons'.
Technically you had 8 coupons, not 2. Yes, it’s confusing!
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba
Ive seen plenty of round the world tickets issued with far more than 4 coupons.
In this case it will be because either the outbound or inbound flights (whichever was disrupted) was reissued separately.
More than 4 tickets x 4 coupons = 16 in total? Even RTW tickets are limited to 16 including any surface sectors.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:21 pm

More than 4 tickets x 4 coupons = 16 in total? Even RTW tickets are limited to 16 including any surface sectors.
i mean one ticket with more than 4 coupons
Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I recall a vacation with my parents as a teenager that went PHL-YYZ-open - train travel-YVR-PDX-open -SEA-LAX-PHL, which was the first time I had encountered two books of coupons stapled together. BTW, Dad trusted 16 yo budding avgeek me to research the flights and train schedules and go to the travel agent with Mom to make the reservations. Afterwards said it was the best-planned vacation he ever had.

A year later I planned a solo (had been soloing since I was 14) PHL-PIT-DSM-ORD-PHL to visit the families of my siblings. Because of a death in the family, PHL-PIT became MDT-PIT, and the ticket agent at MDT pasted a sticker on my first coupon to change the flight information.

Ah, the fun days of paper tickets, when you had to be sure you had your tickets with you as you left the house!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.