Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What proportion of your last 10 Ba flights have left on time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

I basically just want to check if I’ve just been really unlucky or if there is a systemic delay issue at the moment so I’ll start. 0% of my last 10 Ba flights have left within 15 minutes of their departure time (15 minutes is the conventional cut of f point for a delay, and 80% left over 30 minutes late. All delays formally down to Ba (late inbound arrival, staffing issue, mechanical etc.) none late enough to give right to compensation.

please reassure me!!

PS: 2 of the last 10 flights were cancelled by BA, both for BA-related reasons, but I did not count them, I count the replacement flights instead.

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 4, 2023 at 12:33 pm
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Hahaha, 0. Next question, how many of my last 10 BA flights have left only an hour late?
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Zero have left on time - however at IST 0% of my TK flights have left on time (they do make up some time en route, but still arrive late) and all my QR flights from LHR and DOH have been delayed departures.

In fact the only airport I've not experienced a significant delay is BSR.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I basically just want to check if I’ve just been really unlucky or if there is a systemic delay issue at the moment so I’ll start. 0% of my last 10 Ba flights have left within 15 minutes of their departure time (15 minutes is the conventional cut of f point for a delay, and 80% left over 30 minutes late. All delays formally down to Ba (late inbound arrival, staffing issue, mechanical etc.) none late enough to give right to compensation.

please reassure me!!
Are the arrival stats equally as bad, or are some made up by schedule padding?

I noticed DUB published their Sept stats (so after the worst of the summer season) today and the on-time percentage of 53% immediately jumped out at me. It seems to be a widespread issue.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Haha, indeed! Zero on time and majority more than 1 hour late - actually one hour is almost the standard at the moment.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
6 out of my last 10 mainline (to/from LHR) flights left on time by your definition. But only one left bang on time, the others were all marginally late pushing back. There's a degree of sloppiness in the operation that other carriers (eg. AA, as per my thread) don't have.

I don't think I've had an on-time departure from LGW for a very long time. Even if you push back on time, the taxi delays can be quite something. You don't usually get that with LHR - once you're on the move, it usually isn't too long before you're taking off.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by flarmip; Oct 4, 2023 at 4:44 am
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Today's figure, based on a departure time within 15 minutes of the scheduled time, is 79% for BA departures, and 71% for BA arrivals. n = 103 and 104 respectively. BA is about 50% of LHR's operations, and the overall figures are 82% and 76% as of 2 minutes ago. LGW's figures will look dreadful, LCY will probably be a bit better than LHR but that's a hunch rather than looking at data.

That's pretty good by recent standards, but there has been week or two of yucky weather and that really does drive performance down.
becks1 and RichieMc like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sorry, orbitmic, I don't understand the concept of the question ... may I have one on Sport, please?
BA or bust, crazy8534 and TedToToe like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
I measure things by arrival punctuality when I’m travelling. Not sure if that makes a significant impact to anyone’s declared stats so far.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Can’t remember out of 10. But I can remember my last 4. 1 of them left on time other 3 with small delays but nothing significant.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by T8191
Sorry, orbitmic, I don't understand the concept of the question ... may I have one on Sport, please?
Dear Paul the octopus, who will win the RWC?
JimEddie, T8191, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Dear Paul the octopus, who will win the RWC?
Italy?

Paul.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Are the arrival stats equally as bad, or are some made up by schedule padding?
2 of my 4 long haul caught up time and arrived with 15 minutes (none early), none of my short haul did, and 4 of my 6 short haul arrived even later than they left two of them around the 2 hour late mark (but that’s because atc issues compounded the problem).

Part of the reason (and to make things worse), I also think Ba stats now routinely underestimate delay by gaming the system, ie they’ll close doors asap and vacate the gate so the clock stops but several of my flights then stayed motionless another 20-30 minutes (one much longer) before actually leaving.
Kgmm77, becks1, Ramos and 2 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 4, 2023 at 5:33 am
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:20 am

I basically just want to check if I’ve just been really unlucky or if there is a systemic delay issue at the moment so I’ll start. 0% of my last 10 Ba flights have left within 15 minutes of their departure time (15 minutes is the conventional cut of f point for a delay, and 80% left over 30 minutes late.
For me, that's the norm and has been for a while? Example: BA will say their flight to IBZ is 2 hours, but at least 30 minutes is allocated to the slowness of leaving the gate until take-off, meaning flight time is 1.5 hours, so you still end up arriving on time.

It's been like that for years. Hardly any flights leave bang on time and haven't for ages. 30 minutes is not 'late' for the above reason.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
4 long-haul all left on time and arrived slightly early (one of them was the last LHR-BOS which I think is basically guaranteed to leave on time due to a strict curfew at BOS). 6 short haul, the EDI-LHR/LCY all left on time (usually the first in the am) and the LHR-EDI were all at least 45min late leaving (most made up some time, all were at the end of the day). My impression is by the end of the day on SH you are basically guaranteed some kind of built-up delay, actually recently the inbound aircraft were mostly OK it was delayed inbound crew causing the issue.
becks1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.