Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 Galleries Club Lounge North & South both "at capacity"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Friend at T5 right now says both North and South J lounges are closed as they are "at capacity" and there is a huge queue that is not moving.

Seems like the overcrowding is going from bad to worse?
seanp7, lsquare, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Who could have possibly foreseen this with the double tier points promotion?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Genius1
Who could have possibly foreseen this with the double tier points promotion?
there will be a number of reasons for it, not just double tier points

more people are flying CE
Golds dropping to Silver
Lower frequencies so transit pax in the lounge for longer
I also think people are arriving at the airport earlier at the moment as they have heard horror stories about security. the security is nowhere near as bad as the horror staories so again people in the lounge for longer
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
..and this on a 'normal' Wednesday in September? No even in the school holidays.
LCY8737, seanp7 and DXB2745 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
I have been in T5 a couple of times recently at "quieter" times and both lounges have been extremely busy. I am happy to walk to (and from) T5B - which I do find a very good lounge and much quieter.
machotspur likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Lounges were fine and not at capacity in summer holidays, and there would've been a fair few "plus 1s" then, so not really sure what is to blame. I can't believe beginning of Sept a load of Golds dropped to Silver and a loads of Bronze gained Silver ?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:55 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
By contrast, GF is currently relatively busy but by no means rammed, and the First Wing was empty. This suggests to me that the situation is being driven by increased premium leisure travel plus gold status extensions running out.
MajorVoid, Genius1, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Golds dropping to Silver
I suspect this is the biggest reason. While some Silvers would have dropped to Bronze, it seems like it was a lot easier to retain Silver, especially with the double TP offer, than it was to retain Gold.

So more golds dropping to sliver - than silvers dropping to bronze - and that gets worse as the year goes on.
Genius1 and bafan like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Post summer holidays taken using the BAH double TPs promotion could quite possibly generate a peak increase from Bronze to Silver around this time...perhaps!

I only hope not too many more people discover the B gates lounge
BA or bust likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
The Flounge was packed on Friday, as was most of the terminal, so I'm not sure it's just people losing status.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Bubbles09
Post summer holidays taken using the BAH double TPs promotion could quite possibly generate a peak increase from Bronze to Silver around this time...perhaps!

I only hope not too many more people discover the B gates lounge
Given the offer has been extended to the end of next year as well as expanded in scope, I’m not sure why right now would be the peak…

Those who generated / retained status from summer holidays this year will surely remain Silver through at least summer next year, to probably be joined by other new Silvers for the next 12 months. I’m sure half-term and Christmas will also be crazily overcrowded.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Friend at T5 right now says both North and South J lounges are closed as they are "at capacity" and there is a huge queue that is not moving.

Seems like the overcrowding is going from bad to worse?
I can't wait for tomorrow
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
This might be a complete newbie question but is there a good way of finding out which gates your flight might be going from? Given the crowds I’m wondering whether going straight to B lounge is better.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BA- Gold, Accor - Diamond
Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
This might be a complete newbie question but is there a good way of finding out which gates your flight might be going from? Given the crowds I’m wondering whether going straight to B lounge is better.
From my experience, short hauls usually use A and the long hauls are more likely to use B/C. Though that is not written in stone. That being said, I went to B lounge a couple of weeks ago and I struggled to find a seat there as well.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:47 am

I can see where this is going. The days of lounge access for silver are numbered.
jonr405 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.