Wiki Posts
Search

Cabanas re-opening

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2023, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Cabanas re-opening

Just seen (and had a chat with) the electricians who are currently working on putting in a massive new television.
looks like they are gonna re-open soonish.
so3003, SleepySynapse and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 5:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
There is definitely some work going on in Cabana 3 at the moment.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by golfmad
There is definitely some work going on in Cabana 3 at the moment.
That sounds like a double entendre to me, but I may just have spent too much time watching the Easyjet video....
Old Sep 20, 2023, 7:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Just seen (and had a chat with) the electricians who are currently working on putting in a massive new television.
Yes, they are opening soon. Unfortunately they will only be open for online reservations - a system rife for abuse. Hopefully the new head of lounges (and Concorde Team) will revisit this matter.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Gamer Class is coming!
rhysflies likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534
That sounds like a double entendre to me, but I may just have spent too much time watching the Easyjet video....
Exactly my thoughts…

To be fair I did once watch a certain Hollywood actor invite a woman he was chatting to at the CCR bar back to his Cabana (pre-COVID of course).
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, they are opening soon. Unfortunately they will only be open for online reservations - a system rife for abuse. Hopefully the new head of lounges (and Concorde Team) will revisit this matter.
Do you know who that is and what is happening to the current one?
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Do you know who that is and what is happening to the current one?
The old one is becoming Head of Fish Cakes at Birds Eye.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:44 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
The old one is becoming Head of Fish Cakes at Birds Eye.
Frustratingly I can only like this rather than give it the massive round of applause it deserves. Maybe one day the school dinners in the Flounge will be genuinely improved…
Genius1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Is that likely to be just F pax or GGL's also?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
im sure the online reservation system will roll out as successfully as the online meal ordering has for f pax.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I for one am glad there is progress at long last.

Looking forward to it, but not sure about the online reservations thing as planned. Often changes happen en route to the ccr and people may forget to change or cancel.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:11 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Looking forward to it, but not sure about the online reservations thing as planned.
The cabanas are always going to be oversubscribed so some plan is needed to manage it. Whatever is done will always be disadvantageous for someone.
1. Strictly timed reservations. If you don't turn up at the start of your reservation time, the room is released for general use
2. Flexibly timed reservations. You have say 15 minutes to turn up before it gets released.
3. Reserved. You have the room for the slot regardless of whether you turn up or not.

There are pros and cons for all these methods. And I think I would want some to always not be bookable and available on a first come first serve basis.
A mix would allow the 'locals' (the GGLs who have mastered gaming the system) a fair crack at getting one whilst also making it possible for less savvy people travelling in F who have booked their seats further in advance to be able to get one as well.

For the reservation timings I would allow booking at 15 minute start times and if you miss the one after your booking your slot gets released.
So if you expect to be there to need it at 13:20, book it to start at 13:30 or 14:00 not 13:00, and if you're not there by 13:45 or 14:15 then it gets released.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stewaran
Is that likely to be just F pax or GGL's also?
Before they were closed, cabanas were only bookable (through GGL/YouFirst/thepeoplefromthatweirddeckthing) for F pax. I would suspect it will be the same this time.

As cabanas will by nature be oversubscribed and because some people will want to book them who won't use them, my personal preference would be that priority be given to F pax, connecting only, and with said connection time above a certain minimum (say at least 2 or 2.5 hours) because I think that's when they are most needed. That's not self-serving btw, I'm ggl myself, do a mix of o/d and connecting and many such connections are short but I'd much rather not be able to book when I fly from London anyway or am in Y than be told there is nothing left when I have a 4 hour connection in F and want one.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by revorgap
Gamer Class is coming!
Apparently it will be the same as the onboard entertainment, the idea being you can start your movie or whatever at LHR and polish it off onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.