Search

Kicked out from 1A - options?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Kicked out from 1A - options?

Hi,
we have a flight tomorrow morning. During the booking (back in July) I put us to the seats 1A and 1C and we were seated there until this morning. Before OLCI I checked if we are still seated correctly and started the OLCI. When I got to the seats part of the process I found out that I was still at 1C as the whole time but my wife was moved from 1A to a 5D. I called the BA agent and they told me that if the flight is scheduled less than 24 hours they cannot do anything about it and I have to deal with check-in agent at the airport.

Now I know the seats are never guaranteed and they can move for a bunch of different reasons but I checked on expertflyer that there is still one seat available in the Club Europe cabin (6F). I do not want to sound like a douche but is it even worth asking at the airport, if they can move this one person who is siting solo at 6F to either 1C or 5D so we can sit together? Is it even realistic scenario or there will be just a apology and that it was due to the operational reason (the seat is fine, so probably some infant)? If it won't be possible to seat us together is it even worth it to raise some complaint and ask for some refund at the airport or via BA.COM?

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Please do let us know who is sat in 1A!
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if you are mocking me but will do.
mikeyfly and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by casey89
i’m sure it will be at least a prem and possibly a celebrity. I really want to know.👌
Markie likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Not at all! I’m annoyed for you, but more so intrigued !
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Oh, got it. I'll let you know. The agent told me it is probably some infant, this could be an option?

Can you guys tell me if any of the scenario I mentioned in the original post is possible? They probably will not want to move somebody so we can seat together right? Also some complaint to get some compensation is useless as well because "the seats are never guaranteed"?
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
It has become something of a meme on FT that certain high status passengers can kick others out of preferred seats (e.g. 1A), but it isn't really true.
IME the usual thing is a seat that was thought to be inoperative (e.g. power not working) and so the paying passenger is removed and a non-rev (e.g. staff) put in their place.
The other option is a politician/VIP (e.g. the Prince of Wales or the Prime Minister or the Northern Ireland or Home Secretary), but usually in that case the whole of row 1 and/or the row behind is blocked to allow a security detail to sit with them.

I have sat in 1A with a prem behind me in 2A and in the old days when they used all 3 seats on domestics I was in 2A with the (at the time) governor of the BoE beside me in 2B.
I don't know if he was a prem but the treatment from the crew made me think that he was highlighted to them as a "something", he wasn't exactly a celebrity otherwise at the time.

Annoying for you OP to be away from your companion, the best bet is to ask the crew about it on board and they may be willing to ask someone else if they would move.
I would have thought 5D may be willing to move to an aisle seat further forward, but then some people like to have their bag by their feet.
I don't think 1A is specifically designated as an infant seat in CE.
kingsroadgal and DeathSlam like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Got it, thanks for the explanation. I am curious who will be seating in 1A tomorrow. I will try to find a solution with check-in desk and/or flight crew if they are willing to help us with that.
Thank you.
crazy8534 and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
What’s the flight number?
Old Sep 19, 2023, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surryson
What’s the flight number?
BA855

I am constantly checking on expertflyer and the 6D is available. I am not give this much of a hope, they could switch us.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Oh, got it. I'll let you know. The agent told me it is probably some infant, this could be an option?
Makes no sense to me to leave one of you in 1C and put an infant in 1A. And where is the infant's parent? In 4F?
SxMan and SharkyTheArchae like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:53 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Makes no sense to me to leave one of you in 1C and put an infant in 1A. And where is the infant's parent? In 4F?
If a lap infant, 1A
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:40 pm

I would imagine the compensation from BA would be 0 for this for reasons you’ve stated. Annoying, yes, but it’s a relatively short flight.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn’t this like the third thread in a month about this?
moondog and Coffeemadman like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I got moved once about 5 years ago from 1A at the last minute to 1F. No big deal but was curious who on my LHR-MUC flight the celeb was. In his 50's long hair, German but not a rock star was definitely treated like royalty the whole hour and a half and got the greeter and limo treatment down the stairs from the jetbridge upon arrival at MUC so it does happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.