Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA layover question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2023, 7:49 am
Original Poster

BA layover question

Flying BA from Amsterdam through Gatwick to US. Layover is 1.25 hrs, shows terminal S. Will I need to go through security/customs again, is this enough time to make flight?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Single or separate ticket, you will have to pass through immigration and re-clear security. If separate tickets you will also have to collect and re-check your bag.
I wouldn't do it on separate tickets. For single ticket, depends how much do you need to take the booked flight to US... if you miss it BA will put you on the next.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes so if these are both BA flights they will both be in the south terminal. As noted you need to go through normal arrivals, out landside, then up to security to get in the airside departures area. I would say that amount of time would be fine - my expectation is you would be in the airside departures area in around 20-40 minutes after stepping off the plane.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
You will need to reclear security.

I wouldn’t be too worried if it’s all on one ticket. Any checked luggage should be through checked.

There have been some queues at the border in recent weeks (potentially around 30 mins) but I would expect these to reduce now that the English school holidays have ended. If your passport is e-gate eligible this will help.

From arrivals you go around to the right and then up one floor to go back through security, which is generally efficient.

Even the furthest gates are around 10 minutes walk. If a BA onward flight gates close 20 minutes before departure. I would only see this connection being missed if there is more then 30 minutes plus delay to the inbound, noting that the BA AMS to LGW service is only in the air for around 35 mins, so there is some scope to recover a bit of time on a late departure.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Both flights are BA.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:35 am

If BA have sold a ticket for the flights concerned, then they believe that the connection will work. If it fails, BA will make the necessary rebooking arrangements free of charge, and will cover any appropriate subsistence costs.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lgh34609
Both flights are BA.
And on the same ticket?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, same tix
Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Quite tight if there’s a delay. Gatwick is compact, but don’t hang about. Worst case you’ll get bussed up to Heathrow for an alternative flight.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:20 pm

Last year I connected ALC-LGW-JFK on one ticket with a 2.5hr connection then on the date of travel had a ATC delay to the ALC-LGW which put me into LGW exactly 1hr prior to departure of the JFK service. It was particularly annoying seeing the 777 parked at the next gate to the ALC arrival and having to negotiate the whole arrival and departure procees but it was doable... just.

There is a semi permanent sign before UK border/immigration where transit security used to be advising that the facility is closed and to pass the UK border before reclearing security.

Dare I say there was even time for a quick cigarette landside and a quick glass of something refreshing in the lounge before heading down to the gate where passengers were still backed up on the jetty and I still wasn't the last to board.

In essence yes it is possible but keep in mind delays may thwart your itinerary. So long as you're on one ticket then you're protected in terms of rebooking and duty of care.

My advice would be to research the LGW South Terminal layout and routes intricately and take tips from FT in advance incase you're equally pushed for time on the day.

My tips would be:
  • Take the lift from the arrival jetty up to the walkway heading to arrivals.
  • Take the lift again down at the end of the walkway towards UK Border or use the stairs. DO NOT take the ramp walkway as it will add unnecessary minutes and steps to your transit journey.
  • Once airside again and past security take the immediate left turn just before the escalators down which is signposted assistance and lounges and this will avoid the duty free maze again saving time and the inevitable daydream crabwalkers and spill you out onto the mezzanine. You can then take the lift down to departures and follow signage to the gates.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 5, 2023 at 1:40 pm
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
And on the same ticket?
so I’m on same page, when u say same tix, is that meaning same booking code on both flights?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lgh34609
so I’m on same page, when u say same tix, is that meaning same booking code on both flights?
Did you buy both flights in one single transaction, they both are in the same booking reference ?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Ok, yes

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.