Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Updated lounge access and 'Group 0' boarding benefits for GGL card holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. But just reviewing GGL benefits on BA site, and noticed what I think is new. Has anyone been able to access these yet when not in First?

Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by MCO AA Flyer
Sorry if this has been discussed previously. But just reviewing GGL benefits on BA site, and noticed what I think is new. Has anyone been able to access these yet when not in First?
Yes, we have definitely seen reports of GGL passengers being invited to use the T3 FIRST dining section in GF, but the rest is new.
Certainly in the past, places like the Concorde Bar in DXB or SIN, or the FIRST dining areas in IAD or BOS were exclusively for F passengers, so this would be a (very interesting) new development.

Thanks for posting MCO AA Flyer, it definitely hadn't been posted before and is a major development IMHO.

I wonder if it tells us anything about BA's view of the number of GGL customers and how that might change?
I definitely can't shake the feeling that, outside of certain popular times, the CCR is more peaceful than it was in the past.
This will probably only get better if the rumoured T5B FIRST dining materialises, and I assume it would receive the same treatment as the others listed above (i.e. GGLs given entry).

Have posted the full lounge benefits section for info:
Just one caveat: I see the guesting privileges are clear (for the newly added areas) that they "must be travelling on the same British Airways flight".

Koru Flyer, orbitmic and becks1 like this.

Last edited by crazy8534; Sep 2, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
We certainly got invited into the bar at Dubai this week as GGL travelling in CW. I know this had previously been F pax only so it does look as if something has changed
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Per the above lounge benefits, Chelsea only available to GGL if flying First on BA?
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by gcuk
Per the above lounge benefits, Chelsea only available to GGL if flying First on BA?
I think we were agreed that was a rare BA misprint.....
(although interesting that they have obviously had quite a major overhaul and still not corrected it)
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yes, that’s definitely just sloppy writing re Chelsea. As for First Dining in T3, I was in last Tuesday. Didn’t get it offered automatically, but I asked and she asked if I was GGL and I said yes. Not sure if she could actually see this or she just took my word. Interestingly, I was also on AA F to DFW. Not sure if that would have gotten me in on its own right…
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Interestingly, I was also on AA F to DFW. Not sure if that would have gotten me in on its own right…
When it first opened, certainly yes, and I don’t think that has changed. I note from the new text that, unlike FIRST dining and bars elsewhere, in T3 you only need to be travelling from the terminal to enter the dining section, not on BA specifically (of course I’m sure Oneworld entry rules also apply).
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I wonder if it tells us anything about BA's view of the number of GGL customers and how that might change?
I definitely can't shake the feeling that, outside of certain popular times, the CCR is more peaceful than it was in the past.
I think the first Covid status extensions for GGLs ended in July, so over the next few months numbers should come down by a bit.

The number of F passengers is also on a downward trend: Many new aircraft (A350) don't have F, the updated F product has only 8 seats.
Markie likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I think the first Covid status extensions for GGLs ended in July, so over the next few months numbers should come down by a bit.
My understanding was that covid extensions for GGLs ended in Dec 2022 (ie no GGL would be expired before then no matter how few flights they had taken) so GGL numbers would have started decreasing at the end of January.2023 with the December 8th cohort being first to go.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:32 am

A while back there was some mention of there being around 4500 GGL and 400 CCR members (when it was a thing). I wonder with the reduced TPs last year, and now the extensions ending how that has affected numbers?

Also wonder- and no evidence for this- if this announcement might indicate bringing something back for those hitting over 5k a year… might be wishful thinking though!
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by enemigo
A while back there was some mention of there being around 4500 GGL and 400 CCR members (when it was a thing). I wonder with the reduced TPs last year, and now the extensions ending how that has affected numbers?

Also wonder- and no evidence for this- if this announcement might indicate bringing something back for those hitting over 5k a year… might be wishful thinking though!
Somehow I thought it was slightly higher so 5,000 and 500 but it probably fluctuates a bit. To genuinely hit 5,000 TPs is a lot of flying even if you always go CE/F and the numbers who get higher than this (so 6,000 TPs and then even higher) I suspect are only around 100-200. There simply won't be that many much higher and we know that because there are no higher tiers beyond the old CCR card (which is now a GGL benefit) and then at 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 TPs its just another voucher as if they cannot really think of much else to offer and the numbers are so small it isn't worth developing a specific product.....

FD.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:43 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
well that explains why the website has been a shambles this week for anything useful like buying a ticket--they were updating the lounge access guidelines for us!
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Not surprised on Bar at SIN, despite them really trying to improve the service and food - not alcohol unfortunately, I have often been the only one there. As people tend to flock to the QF F cafeteria. QR lounge is still the best SIN OW lounge though, except if you rely on the digital boards you can be very late to board.

so it makes sense IMHO at SIN at least, or just close it.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Related question - does Lifetime BA Gold status get you GGL benefits? A friend has this and insists he can use the Concorde and Chelsea lounges.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 6:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Related question - does Lifetime BA Gold status get you GGL benefits? A friend has this and insists he can use the Concorde and Chelsea lounges.
your friend is talking rubbish. The only benefit of lifetime gold is that your status will not drop below gold. You get the normal gold benefits in terms of lounge access, nothing more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.