Wiki Posts
Search

The LHR F lounge is an embarrassment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2023, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The LHR F lounge is an embarrassment

So this is a bit of a rant and definitely first world problem but how difficult is it to keep the F lounge clean and tidy and the terrace bar stocked?

The table in front of me hasn’t been cleared despite the family who were sitting there departing 45 minutes ago for their flight to Faro.

The bar had no glasses or wine for a similar amount of time:

BA Guest Services weren’t interested. They blame BS.

The BS supervisor I spoke to didn’t seem to think there was a problem.

The BS Manager wearing a BA General Manager name badge was concerned but blamed recruitment and the need to use agency staff.

Since speaking to the BS / BA general manager things have improved and the bar has been restocked but the tables are still awaiting cleaning.

Quite simply, it’s not good enough!
Old Aug 27, 2023, 8:49 am

Totally agree it was a disgrace this afternoon. Currently just back at Paddington, having spent two hours there, only to have our flight cancelled, with no sensible alternative, special services couldn’t do
anything, just told us to call Ba.
ttama and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 8:50 am

Totally appalling. I would be tempted to log a case with the Food Standards Agency.
ttama likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
I have always found that asking one of the hard working staff to clear the table resolves the issue. And they will take care of it.

Also there is a bar in the main lounge area where you are served by a bar tender and they can take care of your wine request.
RJD1983 and Blenheim like this.

Last edited by Kay_Baden; Aug 27, 2023 at 9:25 am
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Totally appalling. I would be tempted to log a case with the Food Standards Agency.
Surely LB of Hounslow?
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I agree with all the sentiments expressed here but the reality is the lounge is just not big enough for the number of GCHs and OWEs out there. Either BA finds a way of reducing them significantly or it has to expand the footprint of the lounge. I’ve harped on endlessly on this forum about significantly expanding the North lounge for J passengers / SCHs / OWSs. There is space to do it, although it would need to push out some BA offices and a couple of retail units. The south GC lounge could then be integrated into a larger GF and CCR complex.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Surely LB of Hounslow?
Hillingdon
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kay_Baden
I have always found that asking one of the hard working staff to clear the table. And they will take care of it.
When we arrived at the lounge there was someone working diligently to keep the place in good order but I’m assuming he either went on break or went home. It all went to pot after that. I did look for staff but struggled to find anyone. At the end of the day it’s not my job to manage the lounge staff!

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I agree with all the sentiments expressed here but the reality is the lounge is just not big enough for the number of GCHs and OWEs out there.
I think part of the issue was that the business lounge was full as there were some guests in the F lounge who’d been sent there instead.
RJD1983, ttama, nancypants and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:35 am

I know we say this is a 'first world problem' but it really is much more than that if this is the standard. We seriously cannot excuse poor service/staffing just because we are flying J or F and "really one shouldn't complain" as there are worse things happening'. Well I am sorry but this is beyond poor and is not in anyway acceptable.

This standard is not acceptable for F J or Y.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
The recruitment excuse makes me smile. Pay so little that few are interested, and then claim there’s recruitment issues.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by dougzz
The recruitment excuse makes me smile. Pay so little that few are interested, and then claim there’s recruitment issues.
Of course, but I suspect the BS manager isn't the one deciding how much they can pay staff. I suspect they're probably frustrated as well.
Sealink likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dougzz
Low pay and poor conditions does seem to be the problem. I'd gladly pay more for a product if it gave service industry employees a better life. The way they get around it here as well as in other countries is to have folk working for you on the black.
RJD1983, Sealink, bafan and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Maybe they need to put a tip jar out on the bar. The rest of the UK service industry seems to be following down this American path of underpaying staff and expecting them to make up the difference with customers tipping - automatically adding "service charge" onto your bills. Meanwhile the company makes record profits and executives take home millions in bonuses.
Stephan54, masmadrid and SxMan like this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Low pay and poor conditions does seem to be the problem. I'd gladly pay more for a product if it gave service industry employees a better life. The way they get around it here as well as in other countries is to have folk working for you on the black.
Record profits for the airline's owner suggest what we are paying is sufficient to cover decent wages. It's their decision not to.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:24 am

not sure ive ever seen another major carrier lounge in that state…
Too many in lounge for staff and facilities to cope with, just needs a cull of entitlement! and some slightly less messy patrons
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.