EU261: When to abandon trip

Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:36 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 2,259
Originally Posted by crazy8534
This reminded me, the last time I ever checked a bag (and it got lost) was in MAD, and a German gentleman threatened to punch me in the face for using the priority baggage assistance queue and skipping a line of about 15 extremely unhappy people!
Tensions were high, let's just say....
Can I please point out that not all of us Germans are that bad
Duck1981 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:01 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MIA, VIE and DPS
Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Posts: 1,121
I am half German half British - and turned into this awful combination of having a need to be really polite and queue while demanding promptness and perfection... come to think of it this might be a mental disease that could be named after me.

That said - "gentleman" and "threatening to punch you" in this context conflict - you have to pick one or the other.
choosethedrew and AJA_ like this.
flying_geek is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:19 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,103
Originally Posted by stifle
I'm not sure how that would work on a PMI-MAD-LHR trip with the need to be stamped out of Spain at MAD.
Yes, it might have been pre-Brexit that I got that, not that I need my passport stamping now either but they'd probably need to check.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:23 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,103
Originally Posted by flying_geek
I am half German half British - and turned into this awful combination of having a need to be really polite and queue while demanding promptness and perfection... come to think of it this might be a mental disease that could be named after me.

That said - "gentleman" and "threatening to punch you" in this context conflict - you have to pick one or the other.
Oh, you poor thing. Living there for 30 years was bad enough, though I did manage the ability of being able to "act" like a German whenever running out of British "patience".
AJA_ likes this.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:59 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Posts: 1,734
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Can I please point out that not all of us Germans are that bad
Jawohl, mein Herr!
Tafflyer and Duck1981 like this.
AJA_ is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:20 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 4,096
Originally Posted by flying_geek
That said - "gentleman" and "threatening to punch you" in this context conflict - you have to pick one or the other.
Thank you kindly for pointing that out, I hadnt realised at all.
Are you in management consultancy by any chance?
crazy8534 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:55 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MIA, VIE and DPS
Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Thank you kindly for pointing that out, I hadn’t realised at all.
Are you in management consultancy by any chance?
No, I would have spent 3-4 billable hours to slowly lead you to that conclusion if I was one. And my $300 an hour 22 year old helper would have made a couple of slides with graphs about which terms combine well with gentleman and which ones don't.
stifle likes this.

Last edited by flying_geek; Aug 22, 2023 at 10:11 pm
flying_geek is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:12 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Posts: 3,923
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Can I please point out that not all of us Germans are that bad
I had a German threaten to fight me at LHR fast track security last week transferring to T3 because we were at one of those tray machines where you're instructed to go to any open spot and I went to the one open spot, which was the first spot closest to the machine, which was just in front of him. He wouldn't believe me when I told him I was following what the sign before security told us to do, and when I offered to go through security with him again to see the sign, he offered to go all the way outside with me. Touchy!
steveholt is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2023, 4:11 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,103
Originally Posted by steveholt
I had a German threaten to fight me at LHR fast track security last week transferring to T3 because we were at one of those tray machines where you're instructed to go to any open spot and I went to the one open spot, which was the first spot closest to the machine, which was just in front of him. He wouldn't believe me when I told him I was following what the sign before security told us to do, and when I offered to go through security with him again to see the sign, he offered to go all the way outside with me. Touchy!
Did you ever ride a ski lift ?
Tafflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.