Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Photo ID required at Gate on domestics from September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat

I just checked at NCL for a domestic. There’s a paper sign saying that from September photoID will be checked at the gate. I’ve searched on FT and can’t find anything except from 2007 where it says on domestics HBO no ID is required. Am I last to the party or is it genuine news?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:54 pm

This already appears to be in place “unofficially” at LGW (certainly according to reports on here) and it was on a flight to GLA I was on from LGW in May.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DXB2745
This already appears to be in place “unofficially” at LGW (certainly according to reports on here) and it was on a flight to GLA I was on from LGW in May.
LGW never turned on the biometrics since March 2020 so has required some ID for domestic flights ever since - nothing to do with the above.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I suspect there is something to this, and there is a report in the Manchester thread too.

I'd give it a couple of weeks before the idea dies of boredom.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Well, I hope it goes away. We'd planned to get my dad on his first ever flight (he's 82 and has never flown) from NCL - LHR and back again just before Christmas. He loves hearing our tales about flying Club and visiting the First Lounge etc. However, he doesn't have a driver's license nor a passport. The only photo ID he has is his bus pass. Is that going to fly (so to speak) or will it be a no-go? The three of us are all booked using Avios so we can cancel without penalty if we need to but it would be a real disappointment.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Well, I hope it goes away. We'd planned to get my dad on his first ever flight (he's 82 and has never flown) from NCL - LHR and back again just before Christmas. He loves hearing our tales about flying Club and visiting the First Lounge etc. However, he doesn't have a driver's license nor a passport. The only photo ID he has is his bus pass. Is that going to fly (so to speak) or will it be a no-go? The three of us are all booked using Avios so we can cancel without penalty if we need to but it would be a real disappointment.
He can send a photo to the council and get a Voter Authority Certificate. Free of charge.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
He can send a photo to the council and get a Voter Authority Certificate. Free of charge.
I'm not following the logic here. He can already vote using his Older Person's Bus Pass as that's listed as acceptable photo ID. So he can vote using his bus pass, but he needs a Voter Authority Certificate to fly?
bafan likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:30 pm

well the problem is we haven't even seen anything from BA on this.

if there was a genuine change in policy, i might have thought BA would send out an email to all those with forthcoming domestic flights beyond september clearly stating what was changing and what would be acceptable. one would hope.....
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:30 pm

I'm not following the logic here. He can already vote using his Older Person's Bus Pass as that's listed as acceptable photo ID. So he can vote using his bus pass, but he needs a Voter Authority Certificate to fly?
Not every OAP has a bus pass. Not every part of the UK has bus services! So the VAC is for the whatabouteries in this world, but it is free. I suspect the bus pass will be fine, I even managed to penetrate the holy of holies at NQY based on my ScotRail granny pass.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:34 pm

I even managed to penetrate the holy of holies at NQY based on my ScotRail granny pass.
suitably notarised and legalised by apostille i assume
Old Aug 14, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
I just know somebody will decide my Jersey driver’s licence isn’t real, and that it will happen at MAN.
jmd, bmiStar, BA or bust and 18 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:21 pm

The only photo ID he has is his bus pass. Is that going to fly (so to speak) or will it be a no-go?
It will be on an Airbus, won't it?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:50 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
I just know somebody will decide my Jersey driver’s licence isn’t real, and that it will happen at MAN.
Ha ha . I have not been allowed to buy alcohol at some supermarkets in the UK due to a similar offshore driving licence ..

This was a very long time ago and these days no one wants to see my ID
Never Stansted and whisper2 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:14 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
It is much harder to get one that you make it sound.
Took 4 separate pieces of ID to get mine.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Markie
It is much harder to get one that you make it sound.
Took 4 separate pieces of ID to get mine.
Surprised by this. The main point of a VAC is that you don't need ID so long as you know your National Insurance Number. If a VAC required ID to obtain, you probably don't need a VAC!

If you don't know your NI number (so are one of the rare people who receive no payslip, benefits, tax letters or pension) then bank statements, utility bills etc should be easy to come by. Or someone can attest to your identity.

But we digress...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.