Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checkin Processes at CAI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Checkin Processes at CAI

Greetings from Cairo. It's hot.

Tomorrow my husband and I are booked on the BA 385 CAI-LHR scheduled for 1810. (CE, 1xGGL and 1xGFL in case relevant.) I had two questions if anyone has experience and could spare a few moments to answer them. Thank you in advance; there seems to be much different advice floating around....

I wondered if anyone had any advice as to how long it is prudent to arrive at CAI. I know it is likely to be a multi-security experience . I was assured by a hotel concierge that two hours was more than enough...

Secondly we have read somewhere that CAI does requires laptops in checked baggage; granted that BA requires laptops to be in hand baggage this seems to be case of the unstoppable force and the immovable object... I would much prefer to put my laptop in hand baggage.

Any experience to be shared would be most gratefully appreciated.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
I flew from Cairo last year and the experience wasn’t as bad as it was my first time in 2008. I think 2 hours is enough. I had my laptop with me and it was in hand baggage (I used it in the lounge). There’s no alcohol in the lounge.
hsmall, joepatr and asnovici like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by SaveECRewards
I flew from Cairo last year and the experience wasn’t as bad as it was my first time in 2008. I think 2 hours is enough. I had my laptop with me and it was in hand baggage (I used it in the lounge). There’s no alcohol in the lounge.
Thank you very much. Strange to say i can manage without alcohol for a couple of hours, provided that the BA flight doesn't have to do a Saudi and wait to clear Egyptian airspace before serving any
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:41 am
formerly onlynik

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Gold, Accor Gold
I seem to remember flying out of CAI in 2016 or 2017 where there was multiple security check points - x ray before entering terminal, check in we were told to place laptops in hold luggage and then there was a search of our hand luggage - now I can’t quite remember when this happened, but as I said this was a few years ago and another poster has commented that this is no longer the case.

One of the airports I fly out of these days has 5 x-ray scans before you can finally board.
hsmall likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
No alcohol? Yikes! Can’t really see the point of going 😂
hsmall and JapesUK like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
In 1980 my self-appointed porter put my suitcase on the check-in scales and made it quite clear to me that he had his foot underneath to reduce the reading. With an expresson that demanded an excess-baggage sized tip.

No recollection of security measures, though.

I've not been back since.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
This may not be useful to you but binoculars must go in hold luggage (last summer) due to security concerns .
hsmall likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dnajockey
This may not be useful to you but binoculars must go in hold luggage (last summer) due to security concerns .
AKA paranoia. Many thanks for taking the trouble to warn though.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:25 am
Original Poster

And just to make life more fun they won't allow mobile or printed BPs...
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by hsmall
And just to make life more fun they won't allow mobile or printed BPs...

That’s been the case forever at CAI

you,ll also get departure cards and a lounge invite a checkin
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Laptops have been permitted in hand baggage from CAI for a while now - I’ve flown with mine a few times this year, including in May last.

2 to 2.5 hours should be fine - check-in is quick if using business class line, and security normally doesn’t take more than 15 minutes, but I have had two instances where I spent a good 20+ minutes waiting at passport control because only a few desks were manned. The lounges are nothing to write home about, so the less time spent airside, the better.

Last edited by flyingnomad; Aug 13, 2023 at 12:38 pm Reason: Typos fixed
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
My last trip with wife and two kids and I had a fixer from Lady Egypt tours. Outstanding and I was done in 10 minutes albeit in Club. There was a secondary check at gate.
Not sure I’d do it now simply on the basis that BA use ShortHaul aircraft.
SFO voyageur likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Worst BA CE flight in the Network - almost consider downgrading m8

Remember its a good +5hr slog back to Heathrow. I'm 6'3' so definitely an aisle CE seat if tall like me. The Emergency Exit Seats in Euro Traveller are the ones to get here if having to fly BA home frankly. At least you can stretch your legs!

Perhaps Royal Jordanian next time if you are tied into Avios & Tier Points collection!

If not AF is the alternative way to go to/from CAI especially if you are regional UK boy like me and don't want the slog back from LHR up the motorway!

Whatever you do next time NEVER EVER get tempted by TUNIS AIR Business cheap fares out of CAI. God AWFUL......

Cheers!

Cheers

Cheers
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by steveggetit
Remember its a good +5hr slog back to Heathrow. I'm 6'3' so definitely an aisle CE seat if tall like me. The Emergency Exit Seats in Euro Traveller are the ones to get here if having to fly BA home frankly. At least you can stretch your legs!

Perhaps Royal Jordanian next time if you are tied into Avios & Tier Points collection!

If not AF is the alternative way to go to/from CAI especially if you are regional UK boy like me and don't want the slog back from LHR up the motorway!

Whatever you do next time NEVER EVER get tempted by TUNIS AIR Business cheap fares out of CAI. God AWFUL......

Cheers!

Cheers

Cheers
Care to elaborate ?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I flew BA CAI-LHR spring of last year. My laptop was in my hand luggage. I seem to recall that you couldn't use a regular line to check in more than 2 hours before your flight, but the premium line was open and not very busy. Security wasn't bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.