Wiki Posts
Search

BA upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:44 am
Original Poster

BA upgrades

Hi all,

Has anyone been upgraded because it was their birthday on the day of their flight from LHR? Looking at booking business and wondering what the odds might be of a free upgrade over a paid upgrade.
im a gold card member and route to be determined but likely into Texas or New York.
Just curious how BA manage complimentary upgrades
thanks
Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:50 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I've done a few trips on my birthday or the birthday of someone I was travelling with. Never received an upgrade, and don't think BA has ever recognised a birthday, but on other airlines have proactively been wished happy birthday and offered a glass of champagne or a slice of cake.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC
I’ve been upgraded a day or two around my birthday but that was on the JFK route in WTP up to Club. This route as far as I understand was often more favourable for op-ups (operational upgrades) as they say around here. This was just before the pandemic and the 747 were Club heavy vs a small WTP cabin, so as a solo traveler I got luckily a few times when visiting family in NY.

I think it’s dependent on a few things, route, busyness, time of day, aircraft and no doubt a few other moving parts. Moving from WTP to Club has possibly more chance than Club to F. But I say that only based on the fact there’s more Club seats than those two cabins.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA do upgrade when they need to - i.e. when cabins are oversold. In terms of picking who gets upgrade, status is a factor but it isn't the only factor.

BA don't tend to upgrade just as a gesture. So I wouldn't book with any expectation of getting upgraded because it is your birthday.
etiene, our_kid, orbitmic and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We had our only one in 2014, from W to J (IAD-LHR). I guess BA was sympathetic that I hadn't managed to UUA on that occasion!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What route is this? With mostly 8F cabins, upgrades are quite rare - I don't think birthday will enter into the algorithm that decides on who might if necessary get an upgrade. If you book business, I strongly suspect you'll travel in business. However, FLUB is another story
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:08 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I've traveled on my birthday quite a few times over the years, both for work and leisure. I can't even recall a single occasion where BA staff have even noticed it was my birthday, even when checking passports, etc. So don't hold out much hope!

In the past, I seem to recall that BA sent some people offers in their birthday month (such as flight discounts). I never received any of those. Not sure if they still happen or not.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Statistically with 500 seats every a380 departure will have at least one and possibly two birthdays on board.
With 180 seats, every 2 a320 departures will have a birthday onboard.
Multiply that across the fleet and that’s a lot of people flying with birthdays every day.
While the birthday may be special to the individual, the sheer volume of passengers with birthdays doesn’t make it special to BA.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:27 am

This thread reminds me a bit of one day when I was handling the departure of a flight to Male. About half of the Traveller cabin had a message reading something like "Passengers on honeymoon - pls upgrade" from their travel agents and, as we were prepping for boarding, about 20 or so of the newly-weds approached me to ask for an upgrade since "they'd just gotten married".

I don't want to sound harsh, but the best way of getting something is to pay for it.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 13901
This thread reminds me a bit of one day when I was handling the departure of a flight to Male. About half of the Traveller cabin had a message reading something like "Passengers on honeymoon - pls upgrade" from their travel agents and, as we were prepping for boarding, about 20 or so of the newly-weds approached me to ask for an upgrade since "they'd just gotten married".

I don't want to sound harsh, but the best way of getting something is to pay for it.
So true..I remember quite some years ago a couple of friends getting married. They were heading on honeymoon to Indonesia via Singapore on SQ. They were super excited and explained how they'd be asking for an upgrade and lounge access etc. Of course they got neither, but did get to enjoy each other's company in two middle aisle seats. They'd bought some bargain bucket tickets for some ridiculously cheap price and didn't even manage to book seats they wanted because that would cost extra. You get what you pay for and all that...
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TTmex
So true..I remember quite some years ago a couple of friends getting married. They were heading on honeymoon to Indonesia via Singapore on SQ. They were super excited and explained how they'd be asking for an upgrade and lounge access etc. Of course they got neither, but did get to enjoy each other's company in two middle aisle seats. They'd bought some bargain bucket tickets for some ridiculously cheap price and didn't even manage to book seats they wanted because that would cost extra. You get what you pay for and all that...
And so I don't sound too harsh, my wife and I didn't have a honeymoon after we got married because we couldn't afford it. Even the wedding only had 38 guests. I promised her we'd do it one day and 6 years later I surprised her with tickets to Japan and South Korea. We flew in Y and my Aeromexico Gold (equivalent of bronze) took care of free seats. We got lucky and had no seatmate either way between Mex and Nrt. Still to this day the worst jetlag I've suffered, however. Both ways.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:54 am
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your replies. I was curious as to what people’s experiences have been.
completely agree, best way is to pay for it.
I’ve had one upgrade before to Miami years ago and it felt good.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Well just a few numbers. in 2022 BA transported about 31 million passengers. Now I know birthdays are not evenly distributed but let's just go with this. It means on average 85 000 people fly on a day. The probability that you have a birthday on the day you fly is 1/365. so more or less you get to the 233 person per day. So as you can see you will not be alone! (yes I know its really a blunt calculations and the probability claim is a bit dodgy but...) Then you can have people who just get married, or today is Christmas and so on. Basically half of the plane would be eligible one way of another to get upgraded.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
I flew BA on my birthday yesterday.

My bag was one of the first out, so I will happily take that as my pressie!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LSunbury
I flew BA on my birthday yesterday.

My bag was one of the first out, so I will happily take that as my pressie!
Things have improved. A few months ago if the bag got there it would have been a present 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.