Wiki Posts
Search

BA415 TFS-LHR 21 hours delay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
BA415 TFS-LHR 21 hours delay

We encountered initial problems when the Captain could not start the engines at TFS on Saturday 5th August and we were then stuck on the plane for 4 hours with little AC and only one small bottle of water. The issue stated was that external APU had failed and a further 2 external APUs were called for and had also failed. What was strange was the CLUB seat power supplies were operational on the ground when they should have been turned off and there was no running water to the forward toilet. Eventually we were informed that the Captain could not start the engines and that the plane was cancelled, we would staying overnight in Santa Cruz.

On 06/08 despite BA319 arriving with a replacement Captain but no supplies for us, we eventually took off 21 hours late but with no food or drinks apart from one further small bottle of water. I guess EU261 will kick in for 5 hours plus?

Iberia ground staff really didn’t want to help or assist, even with routing us to catch buses to the hotel. Whatever happened to OneWorld Alliance assistance? Why does TFS place BA at the last "C" boarding gate or furthest bus stop when there were closer empty gates/bus stops?

According to a member of the crew, the crew were informed by ground staff that they should overnight on the plane! However, eventually they disembarked and made their own way by taxi paid for by the Captain to a hotel, again arranged for by the Captain. Does Iberia staff really hate BA that much? The crew also had to clean the aircraft themselves as the ground crew refused cleaners for the plane!

Lastly whatever happened to the "To fly to Serve" remit which seems to now be dropped as the crew were only really concerned that they too were also delayed and kept stating they only really wanted to get home.

Customer Service was non-existent. BA London had overnight to fix these issues, possibility arrange a combined flight with BA391, (leaving within 5 minutes of our supposed rearranged re-arranged take-off), and fly/arrange drinks and meals. We were only informed as boarding commenced that there was no food or drinks on board, leaving us rushing to grab sandwiches and drinks. As we were travelling CLUB, we had expected a meal and so had nothing with us. Why could the crew not even supply canned drinks and tea/coffee? Where was their duty of care, let alone service to its customers. BA, the BA crew on board, yes had problems to overcome but that was their job and responsibility, and they were totally lacking and inexperienced in this instance. Cost cutting or service cutting?

Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
The water system is pressurised by the APU (on the ground) or bleed air from the engines (in the air). There can be residual pressure in the system after the engines are shut down however the water tank being refilled will cause all pressure to be lost. Air conditioning also relies on the APU when on the ground, unless pre-conditioned air is supplied but this isn't always available or working.

Air start units seem to be quite unreliable as they're not frequently used, and sometimes it takes a while to find someone who is qualified to use it.
nick585 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:50 am

The crew will have switched on the PC power on the ground due to the delay so people could charge their devices.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I sympathise with the OP that sounds like a shocker.

Does BA have a responsibility to sort out overnight accommodation, or only a duty of care to pay for it? Having to find over night accommodation in mid summer could be quite tricky I imagine.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

Does BA have a responsibility to sort out overnight accommodation, or only a duty of care to pay for it? Having to find over night accommodation in mid summer could be quite tricky I imagine.
As we so often read it is is fend for yourself and reclaim. Easier said than done for a majority of us that can cashflow it personally, but not so ideal for those who may be on a budget and have to wait sometimes a significant time for a refund.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Having had direct experience of a similar 24-hour delay at TFS, and how Iberia washed their hands of any kind of passenger assistance, the OP has my sympathies.

Definitely a case of 'fend for yourself, keep receipts, claim back later'.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

This is the thread I urge people to check when this happens. It's almost always easiest to find your own hotel (have some apps handy), jump in a taxi and claim it back later. BA will simply pay up, they don't have the resources to check details such as to what, if anything, Iberia did on the day. Ditto with food and drink. it's 100% certain that an inadvertently overnighted service will not have substantive catering, and even a rescue flight may well not be replenished. So stock up at the hotel, en route or at the airport, photo the receipts and send in the bill. BA will pay.

I know there's an argument that BA should do better than this, but really you best take your own initiative, and I would hope anyone who has spent time in this forum will be forewarned and prepared.

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by martinc338
The crew also had to clean the aircraft themselves as the ground crew refused cleaners for the plane!
This is the way of contracts with ground agents. The ground agent will have cleaned the aircraft prior to the original departure in accordance with what they were paid to do. If BA wanted the aircraft cleaned again, exceeding the service level agreed in the contract, I expect the ground agent would have (not unreasonably) wanted additional payment. It ay be that BA felt that what the agent was asking for was a figure BA was not prepared to pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.