Wiki Posts
Search

Why is booze so important to flyers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Why is booze so important to flyers?

I know that not every member of this group imbibes but I have never understood why so many here get uptight about having (or rather not having) the best of the best of the most expensive alcohol in the lounges and on board.
I enjoy a tipple but it wouldn't spoil the enjoyment of a flight if it's not there. I well remember a crew member being shocked when I refused a third top up on the upper deck of the 747 to Dubai. He returned several times to see whether I had changed my mind!
Would some of the Connoisseurs of the devil's water tell me if their lives are spend in business soirées consuming inordinate amounts of Moët & Chandon?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Stormbel
Would some of the Connoisseurs of the devil's water tell me if their lives are spend in business soirées consuming inordinate amounts of Moët & Chandon?
Well, mine aren’t. Which is why, when I fly in ‘business’, I like to pretend that they are.

And, as a purely leisure traveller, a few drinks is a good way to start any holiday.
corky, jmj9905, uanj and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Quoting Moët & Chandon champagne may be the reason why you are not that bothered about champagne, if that is what you are drinking as being the best!

On a serious note, I personally think it is more to do with the airline being seen as "cheap" when you pay a lot of money for a ticket you expect to get wine/champagne at a level comensurate with what you paid. For example pre Covid there was a period where First class was serving a Villa Maria which ypu could get on offer for £5 at a supermarket. If I'd paid £3000-6000 for a first class ticket I wouldn't be that happy either.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Personally, quality drinks are more important when I’m not flying. 😜😂👌
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have some Villa Maria in the cellar, so that's my credibility blown!
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:42 am

Not a teetotaler though not far off. But I would prefer the airline spend the budget on better food than expensive alcohol. The meals, even in J, are hardly better than a tv dinner. I'm always surprised at how effort people put into judging the food better or worse on this airline or that when it all seems to range from inedible to an average supermarket tv dinner. They seem to be willing to spend $50 on a bottle of alcohol one passenger can get through on their own and then don't seem to be willing to buy something worth more than $8 for the meal.
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It’s important as it’s usually the only way I can get thro the days now tbh

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I don't like champagne (or sparkling wine in general), so I'm much more interested in other aspects of the drink selection that generally get much less attention, sadly.
atcer28, RockyRobin and DXB2745 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: Some
Air travel involves sitting in a metal tube for long periods of time. Alcohol’s effect on the body is to change your perception of time so it doesn’t feel quite so long and, for many, it makes you feel more relaxed. Plus, it tastes nice!
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
I don't drink when flying, often because there's a drive at destination, and my wife doesn't drink at all. Some better quality, more imaginative soft drinks would be appreciated. There are plenty available these days.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Caerbannog
I don't drink when flying, often because there's a drive at destination, and my wife doesn't drink at all. Some better quality, more imaginative soft drinks would be appreciated. There are plenty available these days.
Get the missus to drive and really tie one on, surely?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not really much of a boozer. Only ever order Champagne to pose for pictures.

Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I always mentally connected alcohol and flying, probably due to advertising and experience. I found it annoying when I couldn't get a drink on a plane. Then last year I decided to break that connection and others. Went dry and realized that I still love flying even when not in that boozy haze. I remember flying First and having a banging headache half way through which ruined the flight somewhat. It was undoubtedly the booze.

As for the quality issue, well airlines market luxury so ought to deliver it. If you're saying it's the finest and best, I think it's fair for people to demand something at the price point paid. Not everything good is expensive, mind. Plenty of good wines that do retail more cheaply.

​​​​​
jmj9905 and London Dude like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not really much of a boozer. Only ever order Champagne to pose for pictures.

Daily Mail? Prepare for incoming...
Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Stormbel
I know that not every member of this group imbibes but I have never understood why so many here get uptight about having (or rather not having) the best of the best of the most expensive alcohol in the lounges and on board.
I enjoy a tipple but it wouldn't spoil the enjoyment of a flight if it's not there. I well remember a crew member being shocked when I refused a third top up on the upper deck of the 747 to Dubai. He returned several times to see whether I had changed my mind!
I drink on planes for the same reason I drink on weekends, or at restaurants, or at special events such as birthdays or Christmas. It’s downtime, and I like the taste and effect of it. I value the quality of the alcohol I drink the same, wherever I drink it.

I’m kind of interested why you ask, as if the question is negated (why don’t you drink whilst flying?), it feels a little strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.