Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checking in when part operated by partner Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Hi,

We are due to fly tomorrow from Dublin to Cancun. The Dublin- Gatwick portion is operated by Aer Lingus and then the rest of the flight with Ba to Cancun.

The whole ticket is booked with a 125 ticket number, but when I go to check in , I have to check in each portion with the respective airline. I was given a Pnr number for the Aer Lingus flight and told to check in on their website. But it only checks it to Gatwick. I then have to check in with BA for the Cancun portion of the trip.

Is this usual? Will my luggage only be checked to Gatwick? Will we also be protected against delays/cancellation if for example the 1st flignt is late/cancelled and we miss the Cancun flight?

Are we best to check in separately or just wait till the airport to check in. We have reserved seats on the cancun flight, which I assume will still be safe if we do not check in till the airport in Dublin.

Thanks as always for the help.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Saeagle
Hi,

We are due to fly tomorrow from Dublin to Cancun. The Dublin- Gatwick portion is operated by Aer Lingus and then the rest of the flight with Ba to Cancun.

The whole ticket is booked with a 125 ticket number, but when I go to check in , I have to check in each portion with the respective airline. I was given a Pnr number for the Aer Lingus flight and told to check in on their website. But it only checks it to Gatwick. I then have to check in with BA for the Cancun portion of the trip.

Is this usual? Will my luggage only be checked to Gatwick? Will we also be protected against delays/cancellation if for example the 1st flignt is late/cancelled and we miss the Cancun flight?

Are we best to check in separately or just wait till the airport to check in. We have reserved seats on the cancun flight, which I assume will still be safe if we do not check in till the airport in Dublin.

Thanks as always for the help.
When you get to the Aer Lingus check-in at Dublin, they will check you in all the way to Cancun and issue your boarding passes for that flight. You will have the seats you selected.

There is nothing to worry about here - it's a quirk of the Aer Lingus system that you can't check-in online all the way for a connecting flight.

When you get to the airport, all will be well.
Saeagle, DiamondMile and daftboy like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
When you get to the Aer Lingus check-in at Dublin, they will check you in all the way to Cancun and issue your boarding passes for that flight. You will have the seats you selected.

There is nothing to worry about here - it's a quirk of the Aer Lingus system that you can't check-in online all the way for a connecting flight.

When you get to the airport, all will be well.
Thanks @flightDective.

So best not to worry about any online check in and just do it all at the airport.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Saeagle
Thanks @flightDective.

So best not to worry about any online check in and just do it all at the airport.
Correct.

Connecting flights where more than one airline is involved (not just Aer Lingus/British Airways) often don't allow you to online check-in, or the online check-in doesn't work properly. Airport check-in always works fine though.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Correct.

Connecting flights where more than one airline is involved (not just Aer Lingus/British Airways) often don't allow you to online check-in, or the online check-in doesn't work properly. Airport check-in always works fine though.
Sometimes in that scenario I've been told to get my 2nd boarding pass at the connecting airport -- usually at some sort of connections desk. I don't know whether this happens with Aer Lingus / BA through LGW but it has happened to me in other places. Sometimes it even happens if both flights are on the same airline (e,g,, it happened to me for a connection in Shanghai a few years ago). So don't be alarmed if this happens.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Aer Lingus will issue all your boarding passes at the airport. It will all be grand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.