Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways owner IAG posts record profits - BBC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&S Elite+

From the BBC. Hope I did not miss this posted elsewhere.

The owner of British Airways has posted record half-year profits helped by higher fares and the continued rebound in travel post-pandemic.

Airline group IAG reported operating profits of €1.3bn (£1.1bn) after being boosted by a "strong" recovery in leisure travel.

In the same period last year it had posted a loss of €446m.

IAG chief Luis Gallego said the group was aiming to be back at pre-pandemic levels of demand by the end of year.

However, the company - which also owns Iberia, Aer Lingus and Vueling - said that while there was no sign of weakness in forward bookings at the moment, it was "mindful of wider uncertainties" that could affect fuel prices and consumer confidence in the months ahead.

IAG said flight capacity was back to 94% of pre-pandemic levels in the first half of the year.

Fares were up by about 9.5% on average, and revenue reached €13.6bn - an increase of nearly 45% from a year earlier.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66335208
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:02 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
So now things have recovered, it means that fares can start coming down now, right?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
So now things have recovered, it means that fares can start coming down now, right?
Oh - grab me a corset - my sides are splitting!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I’m some ways fares have now reached more sustainable levels. Labour costs have risen and,in my view, quite rightly given the cuts during the pandemic and the realisation that certain groups in aviation are not going to accept very low salaries.
I see the strikes at Gatwick are not going ahead as the result of improved offers. I always thought this would be the case because the case for improved rates was strong and could be afforded.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Jul 28, 2023 at 5:18 am
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They didn't go bust which is good news considering.
As for fares, I've been looking at the cost of a no nonsense CW return ticket from EZE-GLA for later in the year and had no problem finding tickets around the US$4300 mark. Which I think is pretty reasonable.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Serving only 1/2 a cherry tomato sure saves a lot of money ....
Old Jul 28, 2023, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
No, but elsewhere I read BA is committing to invest these profits back into the business to improve the quality of the service, which is good news.

British Airways owner IAG commits to investing record £1.1bn profit (cityam.com)

IAG acknowledged that “some of our operations are not where we would want them to be and this is affecting our overall customer service”.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Nice to see BA making money and affording to invest after the rough times of the covid years.

My little puddle of IAG shares are up nearly 5% so keep up the good work!
Will100 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I do struggle with the idea that the company can state honestly

"while there was no sign of weakness in forward bookings at the moment"

Given their exposure to the US market and the expense of going there for many Brits this seems odd. Friends cam back from Vegas recently and reported lots of empty seats as well as bemoaning the extraordinary expense of being there. Virgin are offering 30% reduction on all points bookings.

Perhaps the forward booking horizon is quite short.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
They didn't go bust which is good news considering. .
Remind me, how much did we UK taxpayers pay to bail the company out during the pandemic?

It would be nice now they're in the money if they returned the favour, either by paying it back, improving the service, or paying their staff a decent wage.
BA or bust, toothy, PAL62V and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ScruttonStreet; Jul 28, 2023 at 6:52 am
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Remind me, how much did we UK taxpayers pay to bail the company out during the pandemic?

It would be nice now they're in the money if they returned the favour, either by paying it back, improving the service, or paying their staff a decent wage.
As far as I'm aware, a part from furlough pay, like all UK companies where entitled to, and a Government secured loan which has/had to be repaid, they received no free money from the UK taxpayer...
DYKWIA, startreker, HIDDY and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by binman
I do struggle with the idea that the company can state honestly

"while there was no sign of weakness in forward bookings at the moment"

Given their exposure to the US market and the expense of going there for many Brits this seems odd. Friends cam back from Vegas recently and reported lots of empty seats as well as bemoaning the extraordinary expense of being there. Virgin are offering 30% reduction on all points bookings.

Perhaps the forward booking horizon is quite short.
I took a Virgin flight last Sept to US west coast - lots of empty seats in both directions.

Have flown BA twice to US west coast since then and were full on both and in both directions. It's quite possible VS load factors just aren't as good as BA.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
No, but elsewhere I read BA is committing to invest these profits back into the business to improve the quality of the service, which is good news.

British Airways owner IAG commits to investing record £1.1bn profit (cityam.com)

IAG acknowledged that “some of our operations are not where we would want them to be and this is affecting our overall customer service”.
The article headline, in isolation, is misleading. This leads the reader to believe that IAG will be investing the full profit back into improving the product. Yet the only mention of investment in the article is the statement "Our strong profits since the start of the year are helping to fund investment for our customers, and to improve our balance sheet by reducing debt". But if they do want to invest...

Given the strong leisure market (and de facto assumed weak business market), surely they would get an improved return in investing in a better product for leisure customers who typically arrive at the airport earlier, spend longer eating and drinking in the lounges and value a stronger service proposition onboard. Investing in the food and drink options in the airport (can we have the BA burger back in GF lounge please?) as well as staff training to improve the consistency with delivering the SOP's on board would have a huge impact on passenger satisfaction. This will all influence those all important repeat bookings.

Returning a ticketing function to the airport would be a huge game changer when IRROPS occur. And do something... anything... about boarding. It is just a mess for both SH and LH. At their hubs and out stations. I don't know the answer. I'm not sure I know the question. But at the moment, if you are in groups 1-5, rugby scrums are a more premium experience.

Assuming BA want to invest that is. Or are they just making up headlines? Come on Sean - show your metal.

Instead, we may see the other half of the tomato appear along with another flavour of slop for the CE dessert. A cup of tea in SH economy seems to be the limit of the ambition currently.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
The pandemic showed the benefit of a strong balance sheet. Ryanair were way out in front, BA were middling and Virgin were not so good. Most airlines should now be concentrating on improving their balance sheets by reducing their debt.

Full disclosure, I am a retired bean counter, but not in the airline industry.
BA or bust, becks1, TTmex and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Oh - grab me a corset - my sides are splitting!!!!
Oh well, I got a lot of cheap flights during the pandemic (plus the status extensions), so I probably shouldn't complain too much...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.