Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Long layover at LHR

I am arriving with an afternoon flight (landing at around 1 pm), connecting to a 9 pm flight (all are in/from T5; GGL, flying CW).
Obviously this is too late for the BA arrivals lounge, so my plan is to leave my bag (carry-on) at LHR, meet friends in central London, then head back to LHR at around 6, take a shower, and get onto my flight.
On the second thought, would it make more sense to get a room at an airport hotel for a couple of hours, freshen up, meet friends, and go back to Heathrow at 7 pm.
I like the second option more, but can't find a way to book Sofitel by hour; do they still have this option?
Questions:
1. Which option makes more sense (inbound is 8+ hours flight, outbound is ~6 hours)?
2. If Sofitel doesn't indeed allow by hour stays, are there other hotels at LHR T5 where I could book a room for 2-3 hours?
3. I understand leaving a bag with Left Luggage at T5 is my best option. How much time does it normally take to retrieve a bag? Would it make more sense to use their facilities at Paddington instead?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by luitje
I am arriving with an afternoon flight (landing at around 1 pm), connecting to a 9 pm flight (all are in/from T5; GGL, flying CW).
Obviously this is too late for the BA arrivals lounge, so my plan is to leave my bag (carry-on) at LHR, meet friends in central London, then head back to LHR at around 6, take a shower, and get onto my flight.
On the second thought, would it make more sense to get a room at an airport hotel for a couple of hours, freshen up, meet friends, and go back to Heathrow at 7 pm.
I like the second option more, but can't find a way to book Sofitel by hour; do they still have this option?
Questions:
1. Which option makes more sense (inbound is 8+ hours flight, outbound is ~6 hours)?
2. If Sofitel doesn't indeed allow by hour stays, are there other hotels at LHR T5 where I could book a room for 2-3 hours?
3. I understand leaving a bag with Left Luggage at T5 is my best option. How much time does it normally take to retrieve a bag? Would it make more sense to use their facilities at Paddington instead?
in terms of a room Hilton’s do day rooms and you may be able to get others from one of the many websites offering day rooms. Just Google hotel day rooms or something similar.

I’ve never waited more than a few minutes to collect a bag though checking it in can take a big longer with the paperwork. There is also an app called Stasher which allows you to store luggage in hundreds of places like shops and hotels for a small fee which could also be useful in central London.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I would call the Sofitel and see if they can offer a day room rate on the phone if that is what you want to do.

Personally I would do option one, but keep my case with me if just a carry on case. If going for dinner somewhere nice-ish you should be able to ask the restaurant to store it with your coat. For example Noble Rot Soho is very close to Tottenham Court Road Elizabeth Line station.

Note T5 Arrivals lounge opens until 2pm (it is hot food that ceases at Noon), so you may be able to grab a quick shower there if flight on time, you can use the e-gates etc.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by luitje
... can't find a way to book Sofitel by hour; do they still have this option?
1, 2. Yes, Sofitel day rooms available from 8am-6pm, bookable online. Other Accor properties at LHR also. https://all.accor.com/hotels-service...index.en.shtml
I would freshen up then meet people. You'll feel better for it and there's nothing to prevent you from taking another shower before you depart in the evening.
3. Left luggage at T5 takes less than five minutes to retrieve in my experience.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 9:18 am

Personally, and this is just me being an older traveler, I need my space, privacy and downtime even if just a couple of hours. I think Sofitel still does the half day room rates. You can call and they're pretty good about giving info over the phone too
watson10 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by Munaf Nasser
Personally, and this is just me being an older traveler, I need my space, privacy and downtime even if just a couple of hours. I think Sofitel still does the half day room rates. You can call and they're pretty good about giving info over the phone too
I have a day room at the sofitel this week and an overnight room a few days later - I just checked both rates and they are within a few pounds of each other!

Have used the left luggage service at T5 and the service is quick. It's located conveniently to the Heathrow Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.