Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAD/BWI-LHR advice for an octogenarian in CW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:49 am
Original Poster

I'm booking a ticket for a family member to fly back home via London in October or November.

Of the flights out of IAD and BWI, is there one to avoid if flying CW? Rather, which flight is most likely to have the new Club suites?

Does BA require a medical note for travellers over a certain age (as in approaching 90)?

Does BA offer wheelchair service on arrival at Terminal 5 to the lounge and then the lounge to the connecting flight (also Terminal 5)?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
No note required.
Yes wheelchair service can be requested
I think the older CW will be much easier to get in and out of compared to CS
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by CT-UK
I think the older CW will be much easier to get in and out of compared to CS
One might assume that "not having to climb over someone's feet in the dark for frequent toilet visits during the night" would be a factor to be considered here ....
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You need a 777 or A350 for a possibility of club suites. These appear to be BA216/217 out of Dulles. A350 will guarantee club suites, I don't think the 777 does but quite likely. Note that you don't have the right to rebooking if there's an equipment change.

The wheelchair assistance isn't wonderful coming off a flight in Heathrow, it can be slow arriving and you sometimes have to wait until everyone arrives at the buggy. Companions sometimes are asked to walk if the buggy is full. It works, but just factor that into expectations.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assistance requests can be included in Manage My Booking but read the guidance on BA.com carefully since there are several levels of assistance available, depending on whether the family member can manage some walking/steps or not. IAD is more likely to get CS but CS has featured to BWI, the reality is that this is not going to be guaranteed until the fleet is fully converted. Aircraft changes are a fact of life on BA and many other airlines. I imagine that you won't want to do this but if DCA is particularly easy for you to get to then changing at JFK terminal 8 is relatively easy and is almost always CS from JFK to LHR
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
BWI typically uses the 789 so guaranteed to have old CW.

IAD seems to depend whether you go October or November. October is still summer schedule so the BA217/6 rotation is 777 (good chance of Club Suite) and BA293/2 is A380 (old CW guaranteed). In November, that flips so the 217/6 is a 781 (CS fitted) and 293/2 is a 777.

*ETA of course, CWS has sage advice about aircraft being subject to change
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
One might assume that "not having to climb over someone's feet in the dark for frequent toilet visits during the night" would be a factor to be considered here ....
Yep and that is what aisle seats are for....
nancypants and cbyrne92 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:50 am

For the Club Suites, we have a handle that can be fitted on the forward wall of the suite to help getting in and out. Just ask the crew
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:26 am

Make sure to get the handle, my mother does much better placing her weight on her left side when getting up so I always put her on the left side, if you are on in cs on the 777 she likes I think 5 j in the mini cabin, near the bathroom with no one in front of her, she hates the old seats neither likes climbing over people nor being climbed over, we finally have gotten her to ask for help,if she needs it, and the crews are great, she is pretty steady but in the dark it can be tough so just knowing someone is standing their can help, people on planes tend to be helpful so we have her asking if she needs a little assistance, like if she drops something, before she insisted on picking it up herself but now she just asks for help, she can walk pretty well but uses the assistance and terminal five is a challenge it is also difficult with the train
wrp96, Can I help you and cosmo74 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Yep and that is what aisle seats are for....
aah, so that would change the model answer to be “I think that aisle seats in the older CW will be much easier to get in and out of compared to CS”.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
For the Club Suites, we have a handle that can be fitted on the forward wall of the suite to help getting in and out. Just ask the crew
Thanks, did not know that, I'll ask my wife if that would help. She is able to get in and out of the seat though (usually 11E on the A350), she can only use her left arm/hand and her right leg is very weak.

For the OP - make sure you have lots of time to connect, as disability assistance can be extremely slow. I would avoid anything under 2 hours.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by fallinasleep

Does BA offer wheelchair service on arrival at Terminal 5 to the lounge and then the lounge to the connecting flight (also Terminal 5)?
I don’t think anyone has addressed this point directly. But yes assistance can take people to/from lounges (where eligible for access).

Given assistance is generally relatively slow and T5 somewhat large, I suspect this will only happen on longer connections.

From what I am read it is helpful for the traveller to establish when they will be collected from the lounge for the flight and make themselves known to guest services to chase if not collected within a few minutes of that time.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Another thought to consider: Frequency. If you fly from BWI, there is, I believe, just that one daily flight to LHR. If you fly from IAD, there's 2x BA, 1x Virgin, and 3x United. If the BA flight is badly delayed, perhaps you can get a rebooking to one of the other carriers. (I realize that may be easier said than done; I haven't had to ask BA to put me on a non-partner before.)
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Although noted upthread that the BWI service is a 789, it is actually booked as a 788, but recently many of the flights (which may/may not run) have been 789 or 78X. I would be slightly cautious of booking a specific seat since aircraft changes seem common on this route (3/3 over the last 2 months on my bookings).
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:19 pm

I'd go BWI as the airport checkin to gate experience is much easier
fallinasleep likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.