Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade voucher into First class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Upgrade voucher into First class?

I'm flying to CPT next year, in J, using an upgrade voucher. The plane has now been changed from an A350 to a four class 777. If any F seats became available, what would happen if I wanted to upgrade into them, given that upgrade vouchers aren't valid from J - F. Anyone know?
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Tontoro
I'm flying to CPT next year, in J, using an upgrade voucher. The plane has now been changed from an A350 to a four class 777. If any F seats became available, what would happen if I wanted to upgrade into them, given that upgrade vouchers aren't valid from J - F. Anyone know?
Gold upgrade vouchers are valid Club - First.
There needs to be availability in A class in order to utilize the upgrade voucher. A simple case of calling up and having the upgrade applied.

You don't mention what kind of voucher you're referring to. If it's a credit card related upgrade voucher then you'd need to follow the instructions, terms and conditions associated with that particular voucher.
orbitmic and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Sorry, Barclays upgrade voucher
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Barclays vouchers cannot get you into First.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by stifle
And in any event cannot be applied after booking.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I’ve already used the voucher to book the J seats. What I’m wondering is, if F becomes available, and I call up and ask to upgrade, what will they say?
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC
I’ve already used the voucher to book the J seats. What I’m wondering is, if F becomes available, and I call up and ask to upgrade, what will they say?
Your answer is above.

Originally Posted by stifle
This!
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:43 am

You would be able to AUP into F, if available. It can’t be done in advance on a Barclays voucher booking.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:51 am

My view is, why would you? I don't get the appeal of BA F for me, unless it's a special treat and want CCR access. I barely spend much time in the lounge anyhow (I don't see why anyone wants to sit in an airport for hours before their flight) and it always comes across as a bit stuffy to me. Much prefer self-service over 'fine dining'. Granted the 8-seater 777 F is a J Club Suite upgrade, but I'd never pay to upgrade to the old F from J.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Also, I would wager that F isn’t actually available for sale on your flight anyway. Guess you’re on BA59, right? If the flight even ends up being operated by a 4-class 777 (it may well change again between now and day of your flight), the F cabin will be closed off and only used if there is spillover from J (see the FLUB thread). So you can’t even upgrade with money or avios.

Anyway, as noted above, you can’t upgrade with the voucher either.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Poster

BA43, First is on sale
Old Jul 24, 2023, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chriswiles
My view is, why would you? I don't get the appeal of BA F for me, unless it's a special treat and want CCR access. I barely spend much time in the lounge anyhow (I don't see why anyone wants to sit in an airport for hours before their flight) and it always comes across as a bit stuffy to me. Much prefer self-service over 'fine dining'. Granted the 8-seater 777 F is a J Club Suite upgrade, but I'd never pay to upgrade to the old F from J.
Just for a new experience really. I wouldn’t go crazy to upgrade, just curious.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I do largely agree with everything you said. J is almost as good as F. I am travelling F for the first time soon, the reason being that it was something like an extra £1,000 compared to WT, a couple hundred quid extra from J. As for lounges, I do largely agree with you here, too. During Christmas 2022, I arrived about 4 hours early to LHR, largely because I wanted to use the Club lounges, and also, I woke up too early, so I figured I would just get the bus to the airport early. I was quite bored after 2 hours in the lounge.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for my ignorance on this type of voucher, but most "upgrades" (voucher, miles) on non-US airlines like BA are for one cabin only. So OP presumably booked PE and used the voucher for J, so I'm wondering in what world could one then call up and apply the same(?) voucher to move up another class? Am I totally misunderstanding the OP or should I be desperately seeking out these vouchers somehow?
RichieMc likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Sorry for my ignorance on this type of voucher, but most "upgrades" (voucher, miles) on non-US airlines like BA are for one cabin only. So OP presumably booked PE and used the voucher for J, so I'm wondering in what world could one then call up and apply the same(?) voucher to move up another class? Am I totally misunderstanding the OP or should I be desperately seeking out these vouchers somehow?
As noted several times in this thread, Barclays vouchers cannot be used for first class.
Maybe a bit of wishful thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.