Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How do points and status work in group bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I am flying in a large group 15+ with school to New York and then back to London with BA. I personally did not create the booking but is a silver status and when entering the booking reference on the BA app won’t let me onto the booking as it is a large group. How do I get my silver perks like fast track security and how do I claim my points?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum! Just normally I think. If your baec number is entered you get the normal perks.
Freddie C likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 23, 2023 at 1:33 pm
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just normally I think. If your baec number is entered you get the normal perks.
my school don’t know my number so would the ba system just work out that I am in a booking and I am a ec member and just put two and two together
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don't really think that using your Silver perks is going to go down well with the rest of your school group. Just stick with them.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Freddie C
my school don’t know my number so would the ba system just work out that I am in a booking and I am a ec member and just put two and two together
No (there may be many Freddie C as far as ba are concerned, they won't double guess whether it is you!), you'd need to ask your school to enter your baec number or give it to the agent when you check in.
Freddie C likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Little Miss RC did a World Challenge school trip a couple of years back and was able to get it added at the desk when she dropped her bag. I believe there was a group PNR but the school wasn't giving it out!

She considered picking a friend to take to fast track with her but decided that would be a really dumb idea
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I am flying in a large group 15+ with school to New York and then back to London with BA. I personally did not create the booking but is a silver status and when entering the booking reference on the BA app won’t let me onto the booking as it is a large group. How do I get my silver perks like fast track security and how do I claim my points?
Simply give your number at check-in.
Freddie C likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser
She considered picking a friend to take to fast track with her but decided that would be a really dumb idea
yeh the whole reason I wanna do it is because they threatened me with a suspension if I did so I wanted to see if they would be that dumb so I gotta be dumb too 😁. Cheers
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
Simply give your number at check-in.
thank you I was thinking I would have to do that but just wanted to see what the experts thought 😀
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:55 pm

Why don't you sell the benefit to your school trip leader that adding your BAEC number will allow them to open the seatmaps for them to pre-assign seating for everyone. Spin it in a way you're doing them a service for the good of everyone on the trip rather than it being for your personal benefit.

That way you don't have to ask for the booking reference - you'll see it appear in your upcoming trips in the BA app once it's added and by default you'll get the information you were asking for.

#playthegame
Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Why don't you sell the benefit to your school trip leader that adding your BAEC number will allow them to open the seatmaps for them to pre-assign seating for everyone. Spin it in a way you're doing them a service for the good of everyone on the trip rather than it being for your personal benefit.

That way you don't have to ask for the booking reference - you'll see it appear in your upcoming trips in the BA app once it's added and by default you'll get the information you were asking for.

#playthegame
Oh my god that is so smart, usually I like doing stuff like that but I never thought of applying that logic here but I guess that would be down to my lack of knowledge in the field, thank you. But both the leaders, without being rude are not the smartest people around which could play either way.

i dont know if this makes a difference but I believe it is through a tour company and I have the booking reference it’s just ba won’t let me in the booking because “it’s a large group”
Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
yeh the whole reason I wanna do it is because they threatened me with a suspension if I did so I wanted to see if they would be that dumb so I gotta be dumb too 😁. Cheers
You know it's great being a teenager. I've been mentoring some school leavers on work experience schemes, and the crib sheet says "tell them what you wish you knew when you were 17". I decided that indicating the importance of getting as much sex in as possible was probably unprofessional, and perhaps would get me suspended off the clinical register, so I managed to desist. But the one downside of being a teenager is spending the rest of life wallowing in any periods of juvenile dumbness.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Little Miss RC did a World Challenge school trip a couple of years back and was able to get it added at the desk when she dropped her bag. I believe there was a group PNR but the school wasn't giving it out!

Oh my god that is so smart, usually I like doing stuff like that but I never thought of applying that logic here but I guess that would be down to my lack of knowledge in the field, thank you. But both the leaders, without being rude are not the smartest people around which could play either way.

i dont know if this makes a difference but I believe it is through a tour company and I have the booking reference it’s just ba won’t let me in the booking because “it’s a large group”
In university I spent a semester abroad (so slightly different dynamics) and the flight (on CO; it was a while ago) was booked as a single PNR group flight. Using some early knowledge gleaned on FT, I called CO and got them to split my reservation into a different PNR, which allowed me to select an exit row for the TATL flight. Not sure OP could get away with a similar approach here, but that might solve the issue BA has raised of a large booking.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 12:16 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by chessman
In university I spent a semester abroad (so slightly different dynamics) and the flight (on CO; it was a while ago) was booked as a single PNR group flight. Using some early knowledge gleaned on FT, I called CO and got them to split my reservation into a different PNR, which allowed me to select an exit row for the TATL flight. Not sure OP could get away with a similar approach here, but that might solve the issue BA has raised of a large booking.
Clever! I doff my cap in admiration.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft

#playthegame
Go onto the 'Compare the Benefits' page on ba.com showing the difference between the various statuses and you will find:

Free seat selection is not available on group rate bookings and excludes exit row seats on long haul flights for Bronze and Silver Members.
stewaran and TheRealBabushka like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.