Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

90min wait for luggage at EDI off BA1438 today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi

Flew up from lhr on ba1438 to edi ( parked off stand for 10 mins at lhr due to a fire alarm at edinburgh atc.
left aircraft at edi at 1045 and got the bags at 1215 when they arrived they were in fits and starts.
not a single announcement was made.
I went to the ba check in desks to ask what was going on they said it was very busy and lack of staff and has been like this for a week.
lots of bags pilled up by the side of the reclaim Hall.
lots of visitors and number of golf bags.
ba at lhr was encouraging people to check in bags at the gate in exchange for priority boarding

Regards

Tbs
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I’ve been through EDI a few times in the last month (on BA and other carriers) and I have to say it seems a very poorly managed airport, and unpleasant as a passenger. Long waits for gates on landing (I had almost an hour last month, being waiting for a free gate and then no jetbridge operator) , baggage issues as you described and worst of all what seems to be a poor customer service culture. I saw a number of examples of staff (marshals, security staff) being really rude and shouty with passengers. I would never check luggage there and avoid the airport generally if I can, certainly in the summer peak.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, ALL, IHG, Hilton H
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Flew up from lhr on ba1438 to edi ( parked off stand for 10 mins at lhr due to a fire alarm at edinburgh atc.
left aircraft at edi at 1045 and got the bags at 1215 when they arrived they were in fits and starts.
not a single announcement was made.
I went to the ba check in desks to ask what was going on they said it was very busy and lack of staff and has been like this for a week.
lots of bags pilled up by the side of the reclaim Hall.
lots of visitors and number of golf bags.
ba at lhr was encouraging people to check in bags at the gate in exchange for priority boarding

Regards

Tbs
It's been a nightmare for weeks, when I came back through end of June you could hardly move for bags lying everywhere, and last week there were still loads around. Menzies have reportedly brought extra handlers in from elsewhere to help.
mrow likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 5:51 am

A lot of the industry is entirely reliant on overtime and day off working to keep the entire system functioning at present. If it was a full evacuation of the terminal it can take quite a while for staff to all re clear security and get back to the task at hand. When an industry gets ravaged and continues to cut back to the bone, deliberately generating a lack of staff is the aim of the game, if no one fancies the overtime or coming in on a day off during the school holidays hey presto. Sad but that's the cost of decision making further back in time.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 5:55 am

Have always found regardless of airline EDI to be far worse for security and luggage than GLA.

Once waited 2 hours for bags of an FR flight where the plane was 100m from the carousel.

GLA has always seemed quicker and the security process is better I find.

If it wasn't for the logistics of getting to GLA for an early flight I would probably fly from there more often.
ajamieson, HIDDY, cliffy97 and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
I thought waiting 45mins for bags off an EI flight to EDI back in May was bad.....obviously not!
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
It was similar (although not quite as long) off the BA1438 last Sunday. Took 4 attempts to get the belt started because bags kept crashing into the pile on the far side. Once it was underway it took about 30 minutes for everything to show up.

Last edited by sigma421; Jul 23, 2023 at 8:10 am
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
The ploy they used on my flight last month was that if you checked your bag at LHR, it would be "loaded into hold 5, the first to be opened on arrival. therefore your bags will be waiting for you on the carousel" Absolute nonsense. After about a 30 minute wait the first load onto the carousel was about 30-40 golf bags and normal hold-sized cases, no small wheelie bags arrived all the time I was there, and the baggage hall was rammed with luggage too. EDI is just a dreadful airport, sadly it's my local.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

I have filed a complaint with BA . Will also file a complaint with Edinburgh airport re lack of communication on the baggage delivery status ( even a description of having staff shortages would help). At least I had a bottle of water and had eaten on board otherwise there is only the vending machines in the reclaim hall.

Regards

TBS
adrianlondon and thegreatmrsj like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Do people actually fall for this? Give up their bag so they can sit down on the plane a few minutes before everyone else? Meanwhile the people who don't take this priority boarding bait, they've got a priority exit at the destination airport while the priority boarders are made to wait for their bags to arrive.
endoman, layz and Arctic Troll like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Do people actually fall for this? Give up their bag so they can sit down on the plane a few minutes before everyone else? Meanwhile the people who don't take this priority boarding bait, they've got a priority exit at the destination airport while the priority boarders are made to wait for their bags to arrive.
Hi,

Some do ( at EDI on my outbound a few did- they did announce they would board with Group 2)
A few people only at LHR ( they would preboard ahead of group 1)

On a separate note, I did see 2 or 3 large cardboard boxes and idly glanced at the luggage tag- said EDI om QR 31 then YYZ on AC ( this was domestic bag reclaim ) so wonder how those boxes will get to Canada

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 23, 2023 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 23, 2023, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Exsilver
The ploy they used on my flight last month was that if you checked your bag at LHR, it would be "loaded into hold 5, the first to be opened on arrival. therefore your bags will be waiting for you on the carousel".
That is the equivalent of assuring passengers on late-running flights inbound to a hub: "No need to worry about your onward connection, your flights are being held for you." Also a lie told to advance short-term ends, i.e., get the flight loaded and pushed faster / stop pestering the FAs during descent.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 9:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Pre-COVID Edinburgh was generally quite good in my experiences as I flew from and back to EDI as it was my home airport for about 3 decades. I include HBO, checked in luggage, lounges, security in that comment.

I can only speak for GLA now as I have a friend who works there and they are always struggling to get and keep the likes of Dispatchers, baggage handlers amongst other vital staff. As Sigwx rightly states, if there's no overtime working then things can become much slower.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
A 90 minute delay? That’s just a “minor inconvenience” surely? Nothing to get worked up about!

That’s me being funny lol and taking the mindset from the other recent EDI “shambles” post.

If I’d had to wait 90 minutes for my bags I’d have been pretty upset. At least the flight was more or less on time.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
That is the equivalent of assuring passengers on late-running flights inbound to a hub: "No need to worry about your onward connection, your flights are being held for you." Also a lie told to advance short-term ends, i.e., get the flight loaded and pushed faster / stop pestering the FAs during descent.
Heard from a friend at LHR on the 8pm to GLA. That the gate staff were saying that; if they didn't get enough bags to gate check GLA might be closed by the time they got there.

I think these staff might be being encouraged to take some creative licence to speed up the gate check process
BearX220 and GM1985 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.