Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Earnings Change - Based on ££ Spent - booked after 18 Oct 23 (TPs unchanged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2023, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
We’re changing the way you collect Avios.

As an Executive Club Member, when you book a flight from 18 October 2023 you’ll collect Avios on British Airways-marketed flights based on the price of your ticket instead of the distance you fly.

This will make it easier to work out how many Avios you'll get and a typical flight could now give you more Avios. So before you know it, you’ll have enough to use towards that next trip.

You'll collect Avios on:

• The base fare and any carrier-imposed charges
  • Cabin upgrades
  • Seats that you pre-book and pay for
  • Additional bags

The total you spend is then multiplied according to your tier:

Blue Members collect 6 Avios per pound (GBP) spent
Bronze Members collect 7 Avios per pound (GBP) spent
Silver Members collect 8 Avios per pound (GBP) spent
Gold Members collect 9 Avios per pound (GBP) spent

FAQ
https://www.britishairways.com/en-qa...anges#currency

What are the changes being made to the way I collect Avios?
On 18 July 2023 British Airways announced a change to the way our members earn Avios when they fly. From 18 October 2023 Executive Club members will collect Avios based on the total eligible spend for their tickets and add-ons, instead of the current distance-based earning model.

Why is the Executive Club changing the way they award Avios?
These changes introduce new ways to collect Avios and simplify the way we reward our Executive Club members when they fly.

When do the changes come into effect?
The changes will come into effect from 18 October 2023. Any tickets issued from this date will collect Avios based on total eligible spend.

What can I collect Avios on as part of my trip?
Any tickets issued or qualifying add-ons purchased from 18 October 2023 will collect Avios based on total eligible spend. We will award Avios for every pound (GBP) or euro (EUR) spent on:
  • The base fare on any commercial British Airways and Iberia marketed flights
  • The Carrier Imposed Charges (YQ) on any commercial British Airways and Iberia marketed flights
  • Cabin upgrades made online or at the airport on any British Airways or Iberia marketed and operated flights
  • Additional Baggage pre-purchased online, though our Contact Centres or at the airport on any British Airways or Iberia marketed and operated flights
  • Pre-paid seating charges on any British Airways or Iberia marketed and operated flights
Do I collect more Avios depending on my Tier level?
Yes, we will award the following Avios for British Airways-marketed flights:
  • Blue members will receive 6 Avios per qualifying Pound (£) spent
  • Bronze members will receive 7 Avios per qualifying Pound (£) spent
  • Silver members will receive 8 Avios per qualifying Pound (£) spent
  • Gold members will receive 9 Avios per qualifying Pound (£) spent
For flights marketed by Iberia, we will award the following Avios:
  • Blue members will receive 5 Avios per qualifying Euro (€) spent
  • Bronze members will receive 6 Avios per qualifying Euro (€) spent
  • Silver members will receive 7 Avios per qualifying Euro (€) spent
  • Gold members will receive 8 Avios per qualifying Euro (€) spent

If I already have a flight booked for travel after 18 October 2023, will the way I collect Avios change?
Any flight tickets issued prior to 18 October 2023 will collect Avios based on the current distance-based awarding table.

You will still be able to collect Avios for any qualifying add-ons purchased from 18 October 2023 based on total eligible spend, regardless of when you made your flight booking.

If I make a booking to travel before 18 October 2023 and then make a change to travel after this date, what Avios will I collect?
Any tickets issued prior to 18 October 2023 will collect Avios based on the current distance-based awarding table.

If I make a booking before 18 October 2023 for travel after this date, and place it on hold, what Avios will I collect?
Any flight tickets issued prior to 18 October 2023 will collect Avios based on the current distance-based awarding table.

If you have a booking on hold (including flights held for a fee through BA.com) and your flight tickets are issued on or after 18 October 2023, the Avios you collect will be based on total eligible spend.

If I change a booking made after the 18 October 2023, if the new price is higher or lower, what Avios will I collect?
Any tickets or qualifying add-ons purchased from 18 October 2023 will collect Avios based on total eligible spend.

If you make any changes to your trip that require your ticket to be re-priced, the Avios you collect will be based on the total eligible spend for your updated ticket.

Are there any changes to collecting Tier Points?
No, we are changing the way members collect Avios when they fly. There is no change to the way you collect Tier Points or the number of Tier Points needed to reach the Executive Club membership levels.

Are there any changes to the amount of Avios needed to make a reward booking?
No, we are changing the way members collect Avios when they fly. There are no changes to the options available to spend Avios, or the amount of Avios needed to make a reward booking.

If I’ve booked a reward ticket, can I still collect Avios on pre-purchased seats, bags and promotional upgrades?
Yes, any qualifying add-ons purchased on a reward booking from 18 October 2023 will collect Avios based on the total eligible spend.

Do I collect Avios on a cash ticket discounted with Avios?
Yes, members who use Avios to part-pay the price of a cash ticket will continue to collect Avios based on the full, total eligible spend for the booking, before the discount is applied.

Additionally, members who choose to part-pay or pay in full using Avios for pre-paid seating, baggage or airport promotional upgrades will now also be eligible to collect Avios based on the total eligible spend and Executive Club Tier level.

Do I collect Avios on a cash ticket where a discount or voucher code has been applied?
Yes, members who apply a discount or voucher code to their booking, will collect Avios on the total eligible spend after the discounted amount has been applied.

Any trip booked using an eVoucher issued as part of our Book With Confidence policy during the Covid-19 pandemic, will collect Avios based on the current distance-based awarding table.

If I purchase a ticket in another currency, how do I know what I will collect?
For tickets purchased in another currency, the total eligible spend will be converted to GBP using the IATA 5-day exchange rate applicable on the date the ticket was issued or the add-on was purchased. Your Avios will be calculated using this converted amount.

After 18 October 2023, will there be any exceptions when the new way of collecting Avios is applied to flights marketed by British Airways?
Yes, some tickets where the fare paid isn’t disclosed or isn’t available, including flights booked as part of a British Airways Holidays package, will continue collecting Avios based on a percentage of how many miles you fly and the cabin you fly in (no minimum Avios apply).

Executive Club Bronze, Silver and Gold members will collect 15%, 30% or 50% extra Avios on top of the base flight award.

Will there be any changes to how I collect Avios on flights marketed by oneworld or other partner airlines?
From 18 October 2023, flights marketed by Iberia (IB) will collect Avios based on total eligible spend. You will also collect Avios for eligible add-ons on flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

For flights marketed by other oneworld or air partners, members will continue to collect Avios based on a percentage of how many miles you fly and the cabin you fly in. Check how many Avios you will collect.

We’ll update these pages as any further changes to how Executive Club members collect Avios with our partner airlines from 18 October 2023 are confirmed.

How will I collect Avios on bookings where there is a combination of British Airways and partner airline marketed flights?
Flights marketed by British Airways or a partner airline that awards based on total eligible spend will collect Avios based on the pro-rated ticket price for those flights.

Flights marketed by other air partners will collect Avios, where applicable, based on how far you fly, the cabin you fly in and your Executive Club Tier level.

How can I see how many Avios I will collect on my flights?
You will be able to see the amount of Avios your trip will collect, including any eligible add-ons, in the Manage My Booking section of ba.com.

For journeys that are eligible to part-pay with Avios, you will also be able to see how many Avios you will collect on the flight summary page, before you pay for your booking.

For tickets where the fare isn’t disclosed, and for flights marketed by other oneworld or air partners, members will continue to collect Avios based on a percentage of how many miles you fly and the cabin you fly in. Check how many Avios you will collect on partner airlines.

If I pay for a booking for someone else, will I collect the Avios or the person who is travelling?
Executive Club members will collect Avios for the segments they fly themselves, regardless of who has purchased the ticket.

When will the Avios be credited to my account?
The same as today, up to three days after the flight or eligible add-on has been used. Air partners can take up to seven days to credit.

How do I claim missing Avios?
Claiming missing Avios will follow the same process as today in ba.com, under Manage my Account. To claim for any missing flights or eligible add-ons, simply enter the ticket number for your flight, which can be found on your e-ticket receipt.
Print Wikipost

Avios Earnings Change - Based on ££ Spent - booked after 18 Oct 23 (TPs unchanged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

As has long been rumoured - BA moving to a spend based approach from October. Appears Sean Doyle’s recent interview was nothing more than fake hope and the race to the bottom continues.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Avios Earnings Change in October 23 - Based on ££ Spent

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...content=232661

Now based on the ££ you spend on a ticket, not the distance flown. Any add-ons (seat selection etc) also count.
adrianlondon, PLATINOIB and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Thanks for that BOH

I note that they did not give an example for a BA Gold card holder.

Regards
tbs
Markie and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
And so it begins...
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I wonder long long until TPs are also revenue based……
tbm13, oceanscape and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:23 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Thanks for that BOH

Regards
tbs
Noticed that as well. Just did a double check on a couple of my recent CE trips as a Gold, It is pretty much a wash, 1 I will get 600 less under the terms and one 900 more (based on the prices I paid). Got some F trips coming up to and I will be worse off on those as I only paid around £3k for those. Overall not to worried about it.
Blenheim and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I see that carrier imposed add-ons are included which was a major concern (that they wouldn't be) when this was announced.
Whereas Gold currently gets x2 Avios compared to blue (100% bonus) and Silver x1.5 (50% bonus), it will now be x1.5 for Gold and x1.33 for Silver.

Quick comparison for me:
F flight to AUS via DFW in November, currently 39,384 Avios (if you believe MMB!).
£3,788 = 34,092 Avios.

CW flight to PUJ, received 24,950 Avios
£1,839 (flight alone) = 16,551 Avios

Change date is for tickets issued after 18th October 2023.

I also note this:
"Flights marketed by other air partners will collect Avios, where applicable, based on how far you fly, the cabin you fly in and your Executive Club Tier level."
Does it mean that if you buy AA tickets then you will receive avios under the old system?

BA Holidays may still earn under the old system but note the message on tier bonuses:
"Yes, some tickets where the fare paid isn’t disclosed or isn’t available, including flights booked as part of a British Airways Holidays package, will continue collecting Avios based on a percentage of how many miles you fly and the cabin you fly in (no minimum Avios apply).
Executive Club Bronze, Silver and Gold members will collect 15%, 30% or 50% extra Avios on top of the base flight award.
"

So a significant change in status benefits for Avios earning however they are booked.

I suppose the net effect will be a reduction in the proportion of Avios that are earned from actually flying which seems to correspond with direction of travel for the scheme.
Whether the overall outcome is deflationary for Avios will remain to be seen although I highly doubt it.
becks1 and SxMan like this.

Last edited by crazy8534; Jul 18, 2023 at 2:52 am
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC
I note BA Holidays are not switching over to the new system - so might well be worth booking a BAH and adding a night's accommodation when you find a very low premium fare in the future.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ba.com
If I’ve booked a reward ticket, can I still collect Avios on pre-purchased seats, bags and promotional upgrades?Yes, any qualifying add-ons purchased on a reward booking from 18 October 2023 will collect Avios based on the total eligible spend.
Will be interesting to know if carrier surcharges on reward bookings also collect Avios. Further up this page it states:

You'll collect Avios on:

• The base fare and any carrier-imposed charges
  • Cabin upgrades
  • Seats that you pre-book and pay for
  • Additional bags
Could add an interesting dimension to things if Avios can be earned at the same time as redeeming them.
higham44 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I wonder long long until TPs are also revenue based……
They already are in Economy, tbh.

That's a pretty substantial devaluation of status benefits in terms of Avios earnings compared with Blue.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

sad....
but expected based on the direction from last year of IB Plus. Should be getting a few more tickets before 18 Oct - so will still benefit from current earnings for sometime until next year.
I only wonder what happens if the changes was due to Schedule change/invol.. did not see this adressed in the FAQ.

Cheers!
Markie and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:44 am

Whatever about the transition to spend based, we probably knew it was coming given so many other programs have already, the chance from 100% bonus for Gold to 50% versus blue is a major kick in the teeth for loyal customers
becks1 and Hennebou like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi
Nor bronze - It gave 2 examples , covering both longhaul and shorthaul as well as base member vs status holder - would another 2 been any more helpfu?l - perhaps whoever did this assumed that most people could work out to change the multiple to 7 or 9 for the other options
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
I note BA Holidays are not switching over to the new system - so might well be worth booking a BAH and adding a night's accommodation when you find a very low premium fare in the future.
and presumably any non BA issued tickets won't earn based on cost since BA won't know how much you paid?
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
As BA Holidays are opaque pricing and don't split out the airfare component of the package with the car/hotel component(s), this is interesting:

After 18 October 2023, will there be any exceptions when the new way of collecting Avios is applied to flights marketed by British Airways?Yes, some tickets where the fare paid isn’t disclosed or isn’t available, including flights booked as part of a British Airways Holidays package, will continue collecting Avios based on a percentage of how many miles you fly and the cabin you fly in (no minimum Avios apply).

Will there be any changes to how I collect Avios on flights marketed by oneworld or other partner airlines?

From 18 October 2023, flights marketed by Iberia (IB) will collect Avios based on total eligible spend. You will also collect Avios for eligible add-ons on flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

For flights marketed by other oneworld or air partners, members will continue to collect Avios based on a percentage of how many miles you fly and the cabin you fly in. Check how many Avios you will collect.

We’ll update these pages as any further changes to how Executive Club members collect Avios with our partner airlines from 18 October 2023 are confirmed.
Seems a bit vague, so you may not know in advance how many avios you will collect on a BA holiday . Given the same wording is used in the Oneworld collection "collecting Avios based on a percentage of how many miles you fly and the cabin you fly in" it might be the same as now.

ETA - mentioned above whilst I was typing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.