Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oversized baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Oversized baggage

The BA website states "The maximum dimensions for an oversize bag in the hold are 190 x 75 x 65cm" this seems pretty clear but is this enforced in practice? I have something that is 160 x 90 x 45cm so is too large in one of the dimensions. It's just a thought, I'll probably ship it some other way to avoid the hassle but I thought I'd consider this as an option.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:10 am
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’ve travelled with ski bags that are 210cm and never had a problem
layz likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
My bike bag is above the max dimensions and I’ve never had a problem. It might help that it is a bag rather than box.
layz likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
My bike bag is above the max dimensions and I’ve never had a problem. It might help that it is a bag rather than box.
This is good news for me, at some point I’ll take my bike over to Italy. Transporting my bike on an aircraft is one situation I’ve avoided so far, but now I’ve lived almost three years in Bologna I need to stop it just collecting dust in a cupboard in London.

At the risk of pulling this thread off topic does BA still include a bike bag as part of your allowance? Do you have to take it to a regular check in desk first to get tagged and then to the oversize baggage area in T5 or can you head straight to that area where they can tag?
layz likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SaveECRewards
This is good news for me, at some point I’ll take my bike over to Italy. Transporting my bike on an aircraft is one situation I’ve avoided so far, but now I’ve lived almost three years in Bologna I need to stop it just collecting dust in a cupboard in London.

At the risk of pulling this thread off topic does BA still include a bike bag as part of your allowance? Do you have to take it to a regular check in desk first to get tagged and then to the oversize baggage area in T5 or can you head straight to that area where they can tag?
Yes part of your allowance, I always call to ‘add’ it to my booking and never had a problem when I’ve called to do it. I always give them their max dimensions as my bag is a little bigger.

You can check in at the gold wing and then a porter will take it to oversize for you. Bologna is easy as well with BA , I did that last year and it’s my next destination for Ironman in Cervia.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Should you call up to add oversize baggage to your booking?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Should you call up to add oversize baggage to your booking?
We took 3 large ski bags through TFW in March. Never called up. No issue. The check in agent even got them taken to oversize for us to save us walking 40 yards with them....
layz likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
The check in staff will weigh the bag and tag it. You will then walk it to oversize.

skis and bike boxes are specific items not baggage per se.

I have taken all sorts ( I have a boat and ship boxes of stuff including some long items ) and no one has ever been concerned about dimensions but bear in mind the rules are the rules and you may find someone out to prove a point.
layz likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Duplicate
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:06 pm

I've taken mine on BA umpteen times (it's a bikeboxalan one), always been in CE and it was just treated as part of allowance.

At LGW go to check-in desk, they tag it and then you take it to the oversize area.

Same at LHR unless you are able to check-in at First Wing, there they tag it and take it to oversize for you, luxury!

I've never had it weighed at check-in, but often they ask me the weight, which I know as I weigh it before leaving.

The sports equipment page on ba.com says to call to let them know. However the only time I've done that they said not to bother, but if I were on a flight where I knew there might be a few bikes, like ACE around Ironman time, I think I'd still call to get confirmation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.